Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.24.6.1 and roundabouts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed an improvement on how Autopilot deals with the several roundabouts in my neighborhood. Using TACC set for about 5 over the speed limit, but with Traffic light and stop sign (beta) turned OFF, I found that the car decelerates slightly while approaching the roundabout. Even when not following other traffic, it ends up being a reasonable, albeit “spirited” entry to the circle, but slower than the set speed.

Once in the circle, things get a little unpredictable. If driving straight through ie “take the second exit” Autopilot often slows the car some more, right at the point I would naturally accelerate out of the circle. A touch of the go pedal takes care of it. And when I “take the third exit” I sometimes have to override with brake, as after it slowed down excessively, it suddenly accelerated a bit more than prudent while going around the circle. “First exit” seems to work ok. The secondary slowing in the circle is satisfactory for the usual tight right hand turn, just have to touch the accelerator so the exit isn’t too slow.

But all in all, an improvement on the last couple releases, where I would need to cancel TACC on approach to the circle, otherwise I’d be entering hot.

It does seem that TACC is using GPS data to prepare for the roundabout entry, as it slows on approach before I’ve given any steering wheel input. As opposed to TACC’s usual response to curves in the road, where it seems to decelerate after sensing turning of the steering wheel. Which is late, IMO. Car should adjust speed for the curve before it is in the curve, and accelerate out of it.

I look forward to doing more training, and hope to see more improvements!

Reactions: boaterva