Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.24.6.4 software update- SiriusXM?? How??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After installing the latest software update (2020.24.6.4) on my M3, I was excited about the prospect of being able to stream SiriusXM, especially with all the trouble I am having with “Loading Error” issues on TuneIn. I have been unable to listen to MSNBC for this reason for weeks.

While intrigued by the new ability to access and stream SiriusXM (according to the update’s release notes), I cannot figure out how to do it. Does anyone know? Can anyone provide some info on how to access and play SiriusXM stations??

It is hard to find mention of the SiriusXM improvements in the 2020.24.6.4 software update release notes. They are definitely there... but apparently only for Model S and Model X. Even though the Model 3 received an update with exactly the same number designation, it does NOT offer this feature improvement to the Model 3 - only the S and the X. Sorry folks.

• Informative
Reactions: bcpm3p
those are higher end cars so there needs to be certain perks over the less expensive ones. for example the X has bio mode or whatever it's called - that's not on the 3.

plus there are costs with the receivers that would increase the cost of the m3. tesla stopped putting the plastic hooks in the front trunk to save some loot - also the same for homelink and removing dimming side view mirrors.

those are higher end cars so there needs to be certain perks over the less expensive ones. for example the X has bio mode or whatever it's called - that's not on the 3.

plus there are costs with the receivers that would increase the cost of the m3. tesla stopped putting the plastic hooks in the front trunk to save some loot - also the same for homelink and removing dimming side view mirrors.

Zero cost, besides software development, for streaming XM. Also add in the fact XM is standard on almost everything these days, it’s far from a premium option.

ok, you just said "besides software development". yes that takes time and money.

its just like homelink. the software to use homelink is already in the model 3 but just deactivated, yet you have to pay for the module. homelink is standard on MANY cars, just like heated steering wheels are standard on many cars.

whether you and I think its premium or not, tesla consider it as such.

bottom line, we can jaw about it all day. its not gonna make xm come to life currently. :)

Reactions: ra88it and bcpm3p
ok, you just said "besides software development". yes that takes time and money.

its just like homelink. the software to use homelink is already in the model 3 but just deactivated, yet you have to pay for the module. homelink is standard on MANY cars, just like heated steering wheels are standard on many cars.

whether you and I think its premium or not, tesla consider it as such.

bottom line, we can jaw about it all day. its not gonna make xm come to life currently. :)

I disagree - I like to believe Tesla employees check forums and other social media outlets for upgrades to make. (Actually try to think this for most forums) Same reason I won't stop pushing for cameras when turn signals are on The latest update made us one step closer to that.

For cars, it's not as simple as just adding some code. Even if it was, tesla has a terrible track record in adding audio/entertainment streaming software. For vehicle use SiriusXM requires a separate antenna/receiver package (I think, my info on this may be outdated).

Reactions: lUtriaNt
For cars, it's not as simple as just adding some code. Even if it was, tesla has a terrible track record in adding audio/entertainment streaming software. For vehicle use SiriusXM requires a separate antenna/receiver package (I think, my info on this may be outdated).

No reason why they can't add a Sirius XM app for streaming. I suppose you could go to the browser and play music from there, as you can do it on the computer.

Historically you are correct, but that is changing. For example my truck can play Sirius through the internet or through the conventional antenna. This is really nice because I can get signal anywhere - in the middle of no where with the satellite or in a parking garage with blocked views.

No reason why they can't add a Sirius XM app for streaming. I suppose you could go to the browser and play music from there, as you can do it on the computer.
A big reason might be the licensing fee siriusXM would want to enable it in the tesla fleet. I have no idea what that might be, but would suspect that it's enough to be a stumbling block.

Historically you are correct, but that is changing. For example my truck can play Sirius through the internet or through the conventional antenna. This is really nice because I can get signal anywhere - in the middle of no where with the satellite or in a parking garage with blocked views.
Yes, that's why I added the parenthetical "I think...". Glad to hear they're moving away from the old model.

A big reason might be the licensing fee siriusXM would want to enable it in the tesla fleet. I have no idea what that might be, but would suspect that it's enough to be a stumbling block.

Yes, that's why I added the parenthetical "I think...". Glad to hear they're moving away from the old model.

Could be. Sirius is stingy but usually folds for consumers. If I was Sirius, why not offer it as a free app for Tesla? The consumer needs a subscription... so they generate revenue that way.

The car doesn't need a satellite receiver to stream Sirius. It's no different than adding Spotify. They can add it to the infotainment if they wanted to do so.

It's probably not "quite" that straightforward ...

SiriusXM has never embraced Linux. They've never provided a Linux streaming client, and don't show any signs of doing so. So I'd venture that getting a "Teslafied" client would take more heavy lifting than Spotify did, since there already is a native Linux Spotify client.

The question is whether Tesla sees enough upside to develop a client from scratch? Or can they convince Sirius to do so?

I'm sure this isn't a technical question per se, but a business discussion. Does the investment make sense, and on which side? Who invests in developing the client, do they split revenue, etc?

So not to thread-hijack, as I'm still on topic, but are the only options for SiriusXM on the Model 3:
  1. Add internet streaming feature on your SiriusXM account, and use the app, with your phone to Bluetooth stream to the car?
  2. Buy a physical SiriusXM radio and mount it in your car, then transmit via Bluetooth (Commander Touch)?
I'm not trying to dispute why SiriusXM is not an option in the car, just looking for options. I have it in my wife's ICE car, and got a killer deal to come back to them ($60 for 12 months). Since we do 95% of driving in the M3, she has been asking about it.