Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.24 with New Sentry Mode event trigger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car just completed the 2020.24.6.1 update. Interesting it was a 1.6GB download, about 2x more than other dot releases I've had in the past.

Also interesting that immediately after closing the "what's new" screen showing the release notes, a Data Sharing screen appeared asking for consent to share interior camera footage. Default is No, I didn't change it.

Otherwise I'm also sharing the release notes as I see them (coming from 2020.20.12).

Finally, quick comment on the Sentry viewer: even though the orange dot does correctly appear in the videos indicating the time of the event that caused Sentry to activate, the player doesn't jump straight to that timestamp - it just starts from the beginning of each video. You have to manually scroll to the orange dot, and it's hit or miss on where it actually lands..

IMG_3665.jpeg

IMG_3660.jpeg

IMG_3661.jpeg

IMG_3662.jpeg

IMG_3663.jpeg

IMG_3664.jpeg

Last edited:
If you fold your mirrors every time you approach your home it will give you the option to always fold them based on location. Car doesn’t need to be locked to have the mirrors fold in automatically.
I love this feature. I was at the drive thru car wash the other day, and I was thinking what to turn off. Turned off the wipers, then went to fold the mirrors, and they were already folded, because I had saved it to fold at that location and forgot...

haha...i went for a drive and forgot to set the do not lock at home...worked like a char. First impressions were.... I like the extra cameras backing out, the green light was confusing, I thought it would just cruise through but it didn't, then I read the notes, the car can't be first to the light. I tried it again following a car and I got the stop warning and then it disappeared, so it's possibly even more confusing at the moment. I parked outside a busy convenience store but I didn't get a sentry activation.

One thing the dash cam missing is the time stamp on the video footage. Without the time stamp on the footage, the judge or the court may not accept it as a valid evidence or the attorney from the other party may challenge the video footage.

The file itself is timestamped.

(though I'm unclear why that would matter... what's the argument there? "Sure it SHOWS my client hitting him, but he can't prove what TIME he hit him!")

Update just now. Checked excluded home for walk away lock. Got out of car and yep, it locked. Maybe need to drive away and come back. Maybe a reset.

It's still impressive that new features are added regularly.

The file itself is timestamped.

(though I'm unclear why that would matter... what's the argument there? "Sure it SHOWS my client hitting him, but he can't prove what TIME he hit him!")

I was recently relieved of a speeding citation.
1. Received speeding ticket.
2. Submitted written contest, stating somewhere in there that I can provide dashcam footage with a sworn statement that the files are raw/unedited.
3. Judge responded with request to see the video.
4. Sent in 4 videos; 60 sec clips of the left/right/front/rear, and I explained the timestamp of the file name (hence the sworn statement saying I did not change/edit anything).
5. Citation dismissed. Also, it was a rainy day so the rear video was barely recognizable, but I guess combined with the other 3 videos I was ok.

I was recently relieved of a speeding citation.
1. Received speeding ticket.
2. Submitted written contest, stating somewhere in there that I can provide dashcam footage with a sworn statement that the files are raw/unedited.
3. Judge responded with request to see the video.
4. Sent in 4 videos; 60 sec clips of the left/right/front/rear, and I explained the timestamp of the file name (hence the sworn statement saying I did not change/edit anything).
5. Citation dismissed. Also, it was a rainy day so the rear video was barely recognizable, but I guess combined with the other 3 videos I was ok.
How did this help you get out of a speeding ticket? The speed isn’t shown on the video is it?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
How did this help you get out of a speeding ticket? The speed isn’t shown on the video is it?

It's kind of 2 parts:
1) Officer said he used speed gun. My main argument in the written contest was that speed guns are not accurate if we're both traveling and in the opposite direction (towards each other). Which I proved via dashcam.
2) Although speed is not shown on the video, the main things it showed were that the office and I were both traveling in the opposite direction (#1 above); after we passed each other there was about 30+ seconds in a line of sight break due to the officer having to make a U-turn; and lastly just based on intuition you could see that I was not driving fast at all.

My opinion on why I was pulled over is because I took a turn faster than preferred by that officer in a mountain road.

They are very accurate when traveling in opposite directions, BUT the unit (usually a Stalker unit) needs dual antennas, the vehicle needs certified calibration, and the officer needs to be trained in moving radar. IF the above are checked then he can correctly track your speed. The judge prob dismissed it for something else. Line of sight break doesnt mean anything.

Reactions: BR666T
They are very accurate when traveling in opposite directions, BUT the unit (usually a Stalker unit) needs dual antennas, the vehicle needs certified calibration, and the officer needs to be trained in moving radar. IF the above are checked then he can correctly track your speed. The judge prob dismissed it for something else. Line of sight break doesnt mean anything.
You're probably right on both the accuracy and line of sight arguments. I was probably dismissed from the judge determining that I actually was not going as fast as I was accused of based off the front dashcam. Rewatching it, it does look like I was going painfully slow.

Reactions: NOLADriver