Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.24 with New Sentry Mode event trigger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One potential downside of the “don’t lock at home” feature is that the side mirrors won’t fold either. I always want my mirrors folded in the garage so it’s easier to walk between the car and other stuff on the sides, and so the chances of my kids dinging the mirrors are reduced.
If you fold your mirrors every time you approach your home it will give you the option to always fold them based on location. Car doesn’t need to be locked to have the mirrors fold in automatically.

• Informative
Reactions: dougb00 and Zoomit
A bird's eye view camera (like what BMW has) would be great during parking and also if it sees that you're getting close to a curb or low speed turns.

And this remains physically impossible since there's no cameras that can see that low/close to the car.

Even the ultrasonics lose visibility on very close/low objects.

All the other cars with that feature have multiple fisheye lenses mounted facing down/low to do this.

In theory it could attempt to construct a visual based on whatever it sees at a distance, and just assume nothing it sees has moved since the last time it saw it- this might not be terrible for pulling INTO a spot, but potentially pretty bad for pulling out of one since it's likely things around you would've moved while parked in ways the car can't see/adjust for.... and there'd still be blind spots based on tight turns for example, so it's probably a lot of work for something that'd give a false/inaccurate sense of security...(and potential liability if it shows "clear" because it was clear 8 hours ago when you parked but isn't now)

• Informative
Reactions: john5520
Saw this this morning: Tesla Cameras Now Help You Avoid Curb Rash! (Software Update Coming) | CleanTechnica

Now if you're talking about seeing where the front wheel is in relationship to a curb, then, yes, there's probably no camera coverage there.

They were talking about the 360 overhead/birdseye view some cars offer.

Which isn't what your link is about, because the car doesn't have cameras that can see close enough/low enough to the car in many areas to offer that.

Does this mean if our cars stay unlocked at home, we don't have to wake up our car to disconnect the charging cable any more? That would be pretty huge imo.

Every morning, I have to pull a door open prior to unhooking. It's so dumb.

Hmm...this used to be the case for me, but an update about a couple months ago resolved it. I no longer need to unlock or open a door PRIOR to pushing the button on the charge connector to remove it anymore. Has been working flawlessly like this since.

Reactions: M109Rider
I'm sorry, but are Tesla owners morons? Why can't Tesla—such an incredible tech company according to some of you—come up with a basic 3D surround view that is available in other vehicles priced half as much? It's almost like you people have never driven another car. Raise your standards please.

I assume they chose not to. The existing camera suite is insufficient for top-down and 3D view so it certainly won’t be coming to the current fleet.

I’ve used this feature in other cars and aside from the novelty I haven’t found it very useful. I think the addition of the repeater cameras when reversing will be something I’ll use though.

Maybe I’m just a moron.

I'm sorry, but are Tesla owners morons? Why can't Tesla—such an incredible tech company according to some of you—come up with a basic 3D surround view that is available in other vehicles priced half as much? It's almost like you people have never driven another car. Raise your standards please.

Don't say sorry when you're not. If you were, you wouldn't have said it.

Almost nobody will say their cars are perfect. They're not. There's always room for improvement. Much of that improvement comes via software... but there are some things that *have to be* hardware. The 360-camera is one of them. The positioning of the current cameras just doesn't allow for it.

Both of my last vehicles had 360 cameras. They're awesome. Do I wish my Tesla had it? Sure. Do I miss it so bad I'd go back to them? Hell no. If that makes me a moron, so be it.

Had nothing to do with standards- it has to do with physics.

The car physically does not have the type and location of cameras to offer this feature.

They can't magically add in software something that does not exist in hardware.

But if my choice is "crappy cheap slow ICE car that shows me the wheels when I park" or "3.5 second 0-60 sport sedan that saves me $2000 a year in gas and practically drives itself for 95% of my commute" I'm gonna suggest the guy who prefers the FIRST one needs to raise his standards :)

Curious ... what car do you drive that has the best of every feature ever created? There is no way you would have compromised and accepted anything less than the best because you wouldn't want to be a moron would you?

I need to know what this perfect car is!!!

Name calling out of the gate, then demonstrating the exact trait you're bestowing upon others.

1. Can't add more cameras with software updates
2. It's a gimmick maybe useful to inexperienced drivers but a gimmick none the less. I've been driving since 1996 and never had a vehicle with a "surround view" and I've never hit something or curb rashed something that I would have seen with a "surround view" it's way lower on my list than performance, comfort, reliability and constant improvements.
3. Show me a vehicle that meets ALL your standards and I'll easily find ways it doesn't meet mine, guaranteed
4. Tech companies are not magic. Engineering is a series of tradeoffs
5. Show me another EV "priced half as much" that has the same performance and feature set