Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.28.5 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well degradation is something Tesla doesn’t deny esp the first year is the most. The warranty covers it if it’s less than 70%

I feel that’s really bad honestly, imagine if you had a gas car that normally did 30mpg then 4 years later did 25
I have about 5k. I’m going to let mine drain to less than 5% and charge to a hundred and see what I get.

Let us know.. I tried to do that as well, got it below 5%, tried twice over about a months time span.. gained maybe 1-2 miles I think.. while it may be the fix, I think you need to do that back to back probably 3 or more times over the course of a couple weeks probably.. I just don't drive that much right now :(

Having worked in software for 45 years I am rather scared by the rapid pace of upgrades. 2020.28.6 today, after I drove 2020.28.5 for the first time earlier today and noticed more random braking. This seems to indicate a lack of testing before broadcasting upgrades, and means that sooner or later there will be a disaster - imagine bricking all Teslas, or worse, emergency braking them all at once!

Having worked in software for 45 years I am rather scared by the rapid pace of upgrades. 2020.28.6 today, after I drove 2020.28.5 for the first time earlier today and noticed more random braking. This seems to indicate a lack of testing before broadcasting upgrades, and means that sooner or later there will be a disaster - imagine bricking all Teslas, or worse, emergency braking them all at once!
You're right about the probable lack of enough testing before broadcasting some updates, but I think you're stretching the possible issues. It appears the braking is something they are "tweaking" to get right and moved it too far in 2020.28.5 so are moving it back a little in 2020.28.6, but not touching anything that could brick all Tesla or emergency brake them all at once. There is a big difference in tweaking the braking in AP/TACC or emergency braking every car.
I reported issues with 2020.28.5 with more random braking, but others did not see the issues, so most likely, there was enough testing to not see major issues, but when it went to wider distribution, they did see the issues in the data coming back, thanks to the sharing of data back to Tesla.
I'm looking forward to seeing if 2020.28.6 is better tomorrow...

Reactions: preilly44
If you had followed forum posts for the past 10 years you wouldn't be worried about a disaster as software problems are the norm. Cleary Tesla doesn't perform regression testing to the level many expect but I'm not expecting that to change in the near term. That is why they don't send out updates to everyone at once. Release an update to a small number of cars just in case they introduce a serious software problem.

Y'all Y-nubies, this "phantom braking" is way more complicated than some "random" glitch. It's been an issue on and off for 2 years with different versions, and in different cars! My M3 was almost completely immune. The old style "phantom slowdown" I had maybe 3 times in a year and a half, while others got it way more often.

This big slowdown stuff now seems like a new issue. Maybe related to street level NOA they're intensely working on. I don't mind, this is driver assist, not full automation yet. You gotta ride that bronc. But this is definitely a moving target, under development.

Overall the system's a big help for me, anyway. Hand on the wheel and stay alert, that's not as much work as doing all the steering and pedals, and manually engaging lane changes.

Are people seeing it in NOA on freeway, or only in AP on streets and highways? That might help us learn where it's coming from, so it's easier to anticipate and override.