Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can override the +5 by pressing the accelerator pedal. It is beta mode, so we are helping the system "learn". I run in AP whenever possible, and generally press the accelerator pedal to keep up with traffic. I didi note it piloted a little worse with this update, in areas I drive often. It responded to stop signs that were angled to intersecting roads (not the road I was on) a couple of times, and failed to navigate a few hard turns (even though it had no problem with these turns in the past). Almost like it needs to "learn" these roads again?
I get the accelerator override, but that almost defeats the purpose since once you let off the pedal the car will just slow down. It’s the same as when you’re in AP on the freeway and it’s moving just a little bit too slow (without having to adjust car distance and max speed)... might need to just “re calibrate” certain areas...

Reactions: turok3000
I also received 2020.28.5 last night and drove about 50 miles on Interstate 70 as well as local neighborhood streets. I used NoAP as well as just TACC.

I could not get my MX to stop at a stop sign. It just went straight through it and caused the dashboard alert to go berserk with its warnings.

I turned this feature ON when this feature became available in the previous update.

Am I doing something wrong?

I also received 2020.28.5 last night and drove about 50 miles on Interstate 70 as well as local neighborhood streets. I used NoAP as well as just TACC.

I could not get my MX to stop at a stop sign. It just went straight through it and caused the dashboard alert to go berserk with its warnings.

I turned this feature ON when this feature became available in the previous update.

Am I doing something wrong?
That's weird.. my initial thought would be to turn off the feature, then turn it back on. If the issue persists, a hard reset may do the trick. I think lastly I would try a power cycle (turn off button from menu, wait 2-3 minutes, then turn back on)

Yeah there are lots of streets here where the posted speed limit is 10-15mph lower than the flow of traffic. I am not sure why Tesla limits to only +5mph on streets when you can go 90mph on the freeway.
It wasn't always 90 mph on the freeway. When autosteer functionality was first enabled for AP2 cars of Feburary 2017, it was limited to 35 mph. In March 2017, it was increased to 55 mph. In April 2017, it increased to 80 mph. In May 2017, it was increased to 90 mph.

Tesla is playing it cautious and has already increased the allowed speed from 0 mph over the speed limit to 5 mph over the speed limit just one month after the feature was released. It's possible the speed will be increased more in the future but I doubt they will allow speeds that are significantly over local street speed limits.

When autosteer functionality was first enabled for AP2 cars of Feburary 2017, it was limited to 35 mph. In March 2017, it was increased to 55 mph. In April 2017, it increased to 80 mph. In May 2017, it was increased to 90 mph.
I wish I knew this when all the idiots on reddit were insisting that it shouldn't be used on surface streets last year. Clearly it couldn't be used on interstates at 35 mph regardless of what CYA verbiage the manual contains.

Not sure if people noticed, but this update was pretty significant in Europe although the release notes don't indicate it either. It seems like it's Europe-specific for now as I haven't noticed the behavior change in the US, so in this aspect of Autopilot, it's more capable than North America's. Although I would guess this is more of a "hack" to get working with the pre-rewrite codebase.

Autopilot now uses more than the main camera to identify traffic color lights, which is more needed in Europe as it seems like lights are often placed at the stop line instead of across the intersection. So indeed it's relatively minor currently as it only changes FSD visualization preview behavior, but it's the beginning of getting Stop Control to work there. More examples in [UK] 2020.28.x

nonmain lights.jpg

FYI 2020.28.1 is a huge huge update for European/Dutch 3.0 fsd drivers. Our traffic lights are high up on this side of the crossing. The AI now looks higher up in the air can for the first time see the difference between red and green when you are first in line. Big change. That explains why it goes into Europe mostly. Interestingly enough it is not mentioned in the release notes. Was considered a minor bug I guess.

Here's a couple examples from Tesla Driver where it wasn't showing the wider lights in 2020.24.6.4 while they are showing well outside the field of view of the main camera in 2020.28.5. The first picture is the old behavior only using main camera and failing to detect the red light towards the top edge of his camera, and the second picture is the new behavior with red lights past where they would have failed to be detected by main:
2020.24.6.4 no light.jpg
2020.28.5 yes light.jpg

It'll be interesting to see if this behavior is added to North America Autopilot or perhaps that will wait until the rewrite.