Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.28.6 range loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to see a large drop in range since updating to 2020.28.5 and 2020.28.6. Wanted to lay out my data to you all to see if others have seen the same trend or if I'm the only one.

My data from TeslaFi shows that the recent drop starts once I received 2020.28.5 (marked in red) and continues after I receive 2020.28.6. While I was on 2020.24.6.9 I had an estimated* range of 296 Miles (from research this is typical for my model 3s odometer). My most recent charge this morning puts my car with an estimated* range of 282 Miles. That's a drop of 14 miles in 17 days.
past 2 months.PNG

Overall, I have lost 28 Miles of estimated range (311- 282). I can understand some range loss over time but I've only seen it in large drops that have coincided with software updates. The Black mark is going from 2019.36.2.4 to 2019.40.2.1 and the red mark is going from 2020.24.6.9 to 2020.32.6.
all time.PNG

I understand there is some range to be lost over the lifespan of the battery and this is all based off calculations and driving patterns but my major drops in range have been directly related with software updates. My driving habits or charging habits haven't changed and the temperature has been pretty much constant when the drops have happened.

Edit : A few charging details... I charge almost exclusively at home on 14-50R Mobile connection. Charging to from around 20% to 90%, every other day.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
There's a thread like this for almost every update.

We get updates often enough that lots of issues are suspected to be because of updates, even if it truly isn't related. These sudden drops happen regardless of updates too.

It's a bit strange that the two largest drops correspond to updates for you, for sure. Do your update timing correspond to any modification of usual behaviour? (e.g. being parked somewhere or staying somewhere longer that normally wouldn't be the case)

I don't have the data to show, but I can confirm I have the same or close the same numbers as you. Up until a couple months ago, I could charge to 290ish. Now, after the past couple updates, I am sitting at 280 even and sometimes the high 270's. My range woes seem to also correlate with the last 2 updates. It was noticeable immediately after the update. I do however have over 40k miles on the odo...

I don't have the data to show, but I can confirm I have the same or close the same numbers as you. Up until a couple months ago, I could charge to 290ish. Now, after the past couple updates, I am sitting at 280 even and sometimes the high 270's. My range woes seem to also correlate with the last 2 updates. It was noticeable immediately after the update. I do however have over 40k miles on the odo...
Exactly. I have seen range drop coincide with software updates. People here worry to much when these cars are not old. Anyone here had a battery pack replacement under warranty due to degradation?

Reactions: outdoors

We get updates often enough that lots of issues are suspected to be because of updates, even if it truly isn't related. These sudden drops happen regardless of updates too.

It's a bit strange that the two largest drops correspond to updates for you, for sure. Do your update timing correspond to any modification of usual behaviour? (e.g. being parked somewhere or staying somewhere longer that normally wouldn't be the case)

I don't recall any weird behavior from the first drop. With the most recent drop there has been no difference in driving from before the update and after.

Exactly. I have seen range drop coincide with software updates. People here worry to much when these cars are not old. Anyone here had a battery pack replacement under warranty due to degradation?

I think it's pretty common to worry about big drops like this. Most batteries will degrade "over time" but not in sudden drops that correlate with software updates. Also, from what I've gathered from my own searching is that I am now on the very low end of range compared to other cars with similar mileage and even cars with higher mileage.

With the warranty, it's apparently 30% degradation which is around 90 miles of lost range...

I have seen at least two people pursue warranty replacement after a 30% drop, on these forums. They do exist. Of course, haven't heard of any other successful case because it seems Tesla doesn't care even with near-new cars with nearly 20% degradation. That's still significant, whether or not they successfully get it replaced under warranty.

Every range loss I have experienced has been within the following morning after an update. That's too much coincidence in my view. I most recently experienced a 10 mile range loss the morning after I updated to 2020.28.x.

It has never been a steady decline, it is always 10-13 mile chunks at a time. I'm now down to 217 maximum range on my 2019 SR+.

My driving and charging habits do not change, I drive the car the same distance every day and the temperature is pretty stable where I live. The car is charged to the same percentage every day. However as I have lost range, my discharge percentage has been increasing, despite maintaining roughly the same wh/mi (215-220wh/mi)

That is exactly why people worry so much. The cars are not old yet we see rather sizable drops, which in my case, always coincide with a software update. I'm not talking within the same week either, it is always the morning after an update.

The dismissiveness from posters on this forum is extremely frustrating. If you don't have a solution, that's perfectly fine, but don't dismiss range loss as a non-issue, or tell me to switch to percentage mode. That completely misses the point. The range display is our only readily available indicator into the capacity, and vaguely the health, of the batteries.

Isn't it telling that we have so many of these threads about range loss?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
@M@dHatter Do you have 19" wheels by any chance? I also "lost" 10 miles of rated range with the 2020.28.x update but I think it may have something to do w/ Tesla providing better range estimates based on wheel size. They adjusted a few of those estimates for the Model Y and I assume they did the same for the 3.

Wheel size has an impact on range and I think Tesla is trying to make it more representative of your actual vehicle. For reference: Teslike.com

range on my LR went up 2 miles just after getting 28.5 then another 2 after 28.6.
Its almost back up to the range I had with 2020.16.2.1
It dropped 10 whole miles going from 300 miles with 2019.36.2.4 down to 290.3 with 2019.40.2.1 - without driving anywhere. Literally went to sleep with 300 estimate and woke up with 290.

This is my pet peeve with Teslafi (although I still use it)
They call this the Battery Degradation Report - but its got precisely nothing to do with degradation of any kind. It should be called a battery estimate report.
Don't worry, its got nothing to do with battery degradation, regardless of what the report title says and has everything to do with how the software estimates the range calculation.
Our problem is that we can't tell directly because each software release keeps changing how the estimate is calculated.