Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.36.10 has some real problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a rural area which may cause part of the problem.. The problem, the car does not see some speed signs and seems to post an arbitrary speed limit. Then later will post the speed limit, I think, according to the map software which is wrong a lot here. Traveling down FM116, here the speed limit is 75 (Texas 2 lane freeway, lol), and the car shows 55 even after we have passed 4 speed signs. Then about 10 miles later jumps to 70. This also happens on other highways like 35, 190 and 183. This is frustrating because I have to keep my foot pressed on the gas and it disables adaptive automatic breaking until I get back to 5 mph over the speed limit. At times it seems to see the speed sign for frontage roads but still does not see signs further down the road. The other problem is that when it does see a speed limit sign, it sets the speed to 5 mph over. I can see no automatic way to change. I just reset to max speed to the limit manually. Not a huge problem but a nuisance. Here going 5mph over gets you a $200+ ticket including costs.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Same issue here with seeing signs. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. But the 5 mph over is a setting you control. It won’t exceed the limit unless you have authorized it.
Yeah but the setting is really hard to find because Tesla uses one setting to set both the cruise control speed and the speed limit warning.

@Ramona48, set the speed limit warning to relative and +0. then when you enable cruise control the speed will be whatever the car thinks the speed limit is.

Yeah it seems way worse now. Speed signs are more often wrong that right and sometimes a pretty big difference such as stating 90kmph when it's a 110 zone, or 30 in a 50 zone. Makes AP somewhat useless since on undivided roads it won't let you go more than 10kmph above the speed limit.

It's working great for me in ND, so nearly everything here is rural. I just wish the updated speed limits would stick. I have two before I'm 3 blocks from home.

All I know is you need HW 3 and there's a training period after getting the update before it starts to work.

I have a 100 mile round-trip tomorrow where about half either doesn't have the speed in maps or it's incomplete and doesn't slow for small towns. Hoping to do the whole thing on autopilot now.

Thank you for the suggestion of setting the speed limit to 0 relative, but I normally set it to +3. I did set it to +0 relative and it still went 5 mph over the sin.
Make sure you were not in the "easy entry" profile when you made the setting change. Many of these settings are tied to the profile. so if you made the setting change while you were in easy entry, the second you press the brake pedal and it switches over to your driving profile, it would have gone back to the previous setting.