Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.36.11 autopilot bug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 LR AWD on 2020.36.11. On the highway today, neither autopilot nor navigate on autopilot would shift to a lane on the right. Tried with both the stay in the passing lane option on and off. Also tried resetting the car. Fault persisted. Reported it as a bug. Anyone else seen this problem or know of a fix?

I had a few times with 2020.36.3.1 on a long trip where it wouldn't change into the left lane. I would get three blinks and then the turn signal stopped and nothing happened. Plus a few aborts, but those have always happened. This was on an 2017 X with MCU2/HW3 upgrades.

I received the update today, then went for a drive this evening and noticed it would not lane change to the left. Had to disengage AP and manually change lanes. Didn't use AP much after this so not sure if it's a normal thing, but have noticed this from time to time in the past with other FW versions as well. Will do a little more testing tomorrow and over the weekend to see if it's a common issue or more of a random issue.

Is it known where to report bugs and issues to Tesla?

There isnt anyplace. Some people think that when they use the "bug report" voice activation feature that it does that, but it doesnt. It simply timestamps the logs internal to the car, so that if you took it in for service later, the service center would be able to find the exact time stamp of that bug report you activated with the command.

Your car uploads stuff to tesla (if you allowed data connection), automatically, but there is no way to send those manually. Thats likely actually a good thing, too. If there was a way to try to provide data directly like that (without going through a service center, etc), that feature would definitely be exploited by people either well intentioned, or not.

I am on 2020.36.11 with my M3 LR AWD and I haven't experienced this issue. I do experience some of the random brake checking that the Tesla does under autopilot, but I think that is partially due to what @jjrandorin talks about here:
Your car uploads stuff to tesla (if you allowed data connection), automatically, but there is no way to send those manually. Thats likely actually a good thing, too. If there was a way to try to provide data directly like that (without going through a service center, etc), that feature would definitely be exploited by people either well intentioned, or not.

I personally believe that because the Tesla autopilot is a hive mind of learning, the Teslas have been taught some nasty brake checking habits of either poor Tesla drivers getting fearful and immediately braking to disengage autopilot, (a bad habit from ICE cruise control I assume) or users getting fearful of a distant stop and forgetting that there is regen brakes therein stomping right on the mechanical brakes.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I am on 2020.36.11 with my M3 LR AWD and I haven't experienced this issue. I do experience some of the random brake checking that the Tesla does under autopilot, but I think that is partially due to what @jjrandorin talks about here:

I personally believe that because the Tesla autopilot is a hive mind of learning, the Teslas have been taught some nasty brake checking habits of either poor Tesla drivers getting fearful and immediately braking to disengage autopilot, (a bad habit from ICE cruise control I assume) or users getting fearful of a distant stop and forgetting that there is regen brakes therein stomping right on the mechanical brakes.
AP Learning doesn't work that way. One person hitting the brakes will not affect the fleet in any way.
The vast majority of the so called "phantom" braking events have a reason behind them. Most of the ones I've seen are misinterpreting overhead gantries/bridges or bad speed limits. For instance AP takes the speed limit from a frontage road next to a highway etc.
Since enabling traffic control beta I get way more braking events as it misinterprets stop signs or traffic light.
They aren't phantom at all.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I made the mistake of complaining to tesla support about how my m3lrdm-3 when it saw a speed sign it would set the max speed to 5mph over, every time. Well now I do not have to worry about it. The car will show the speed sign change but it will not change the max speed on the screen. And on fsd I have to keep my foot on the accelerator.if the speed goes up. As the old saying goes, if they wanted my input, they would give it to me.

well there you go. 2020.40.1 has an updated speed assist which might explain the behavior on 32 & 36.x
The release notes extends speed assist to include highways, not just local roads.
I'm now wondering if "local roads" doesn't include all of those 65mph+ roads?
That would explain the AP suddenly losing all knowledge of the speed limit if it defines those types of roads as something other than "local".
Stalking 2020.40.1 now . . . .