Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.36 - no Detected speed limit for HW below version 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that was an anti climax.
I was looking forward to getting some of my AP1 level speed sign reading reading utility back on my model 3 only to see that this is only for HW3 and up.
Hard to imagine this was not a marketing decision rather than a hardware based decision?

Reading and interpreting external signs and notices (like speed limit signs, stop signs, stop lights, road painted directional symbols) is extremely processor intensive and I could easily see (but have no evidence) HW2.5 not being able to support that and still perform it's other duties simultaneously.

So this brings back the issue of Musk claiming that "All cars made as of X date will have HW3" then several months worth of cars after that date not actually getting HW3... it's blatantly false advertising, and now (as expected) non-FSD specific features are being rolled out for HW3 cars. Hoping that at least the HW3 cars will update/fix the incorrect speed limits on many roads that unsafely slow your car down on a highway randomly. Or more ideally, that the HW2.5 cars get this feature eventually. I wonder what is so challenging about that feature that would require advanced hardware... even if it is delayed by a few seconds, would be helpful to have eventually show up for HW2.5

I just got 2020.36 and went to an area where the speed limit signs vary from the Tesla map speed limits. While it picked up the signs correctly, it does not remember them, and reverts to the wrong speed limit after about 1/4 mile. Yes, this is an improvement but its not perfect. Certainly not ready for full self driving.

So this brings back the issue of Musk claiming that "All cars made as of X date will have HW3" then several months worth of cars after that date not actually getting HW3... it's blatantly false advertising, and now (as expected) non-FSD specific features are being rolled out for HW3 cars. Hoping that at least the HW3 cars will update/fix the incorrect speed limits on many roads that unsafely slow your car down on a highway randomly. Or more ideally, that the HW2.5 cars get this feature eventually. I wonder what is so challenging about that feature that would require advanced hardware... even if it is delayed by a few seconds, would be helpful to have eventually show up for HW2.5
That has nothing to do with the topic at hand...

Looks like the speed limit sign detection is just the beginning. Also in this release is the feature I care care more about...the bong when the stop light changes to green.

I know I shouldn’t but “sometimes” I’m on my phone while waiting at a light and don’t notice the light change. I really hate when others do it in front of me so really embarrassed when I do it.

I wonder how MobileEye pulled it off flawlessly with AP1 hardware back in 2014... :rolleyes:

Because MobileEye has a patent for reading the signs. Tesla has to do a bunch of crazy stuff to be able to read the signs without infringing on the patent is what I would assume.

Edit: Found someone speculating this is what is Tesla is doing to do it a little different and not infringe on the patent: "The video is not fed into an 'image processor' to identify signs in frames, the neural net is doing it all from labeled data."

Last edited:
Reactions: M109Rider
I just got 2020.36 and went to an area where the speed limit signs vary from the Tesla map speed limits. While it picked up the signs correctly, it does not remember them, and reverts to the wrong speed limit after about 1/4 mile. Yes, this is an improvement but its not perfect. Certainly not ready for full self driving.
Yeah, but this is the very first version with that feature. Baby steps. Baby steps.

I bought Autopilot as a driver assist package. Without having speed limit sign recognition one has to use TACC and set the speed yourself but you get no lane control. Or use AP for lateral control but one must constantly keep your foot on the accelerator to stop AP from breaking for bad map speed limits. When you have your foot on the accelerator the car won't break making it less safe. Either way this not was AP was sold as, driver assist safety feature. other brands include speed limit signs in there driver assist package. I am sure they have less of a computer than an AP2.5