Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just called Tesla support, and they confirmed that HW3/MCU1 vehicles cannot perform speed limit sign recognition.

So much for “Full” self driving capability.
This is contrary to what I have experienced. This morning I drove in Minneapolis on one of the roads with the new speed limit of 25 MPH instead of 30 MPH. I turned onto the road & the car indicated the old speed limit of 30 MPH. About 1.5 blocks later I passed a 25 MPH sign & the car changed to 25 MPH on the dash & chimed at me because I was going faster than my offset plus the new 25 MPH speed limit.
Car only detects black on white SPEED LIMIT signs, at least for now...
This also is contrary to what my FSD/MCU1 car has done. With the change in speed limits in Minneapolis from 30 MPH on all streets to 25 MPH on main streets & 20 MPH on residential streets the city has been giving out signs like the ones shown in the attached picture. The car will pick up these yard signs & show 20 MPH on residential streets where ppl have these signs in their yards.
cst-18595-lowered-speed-limits-18595.jpg

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: fetzu and Hbrink
The 2020.36 did not read speed limit signs in California, Nevada, Arizona, or Utah this week. It's geo-mapping speed limits still. It routinely had the speed limits wrong when there were new speed limit signs, and reported the previous value instead, even with very clear standard style signs on both sides of the road in the middle of nowhere.

• Informative
Reactions: Padelford
2920.36.3.1 - Phantom braking is now on steroids.
Road limit was 50mph car didn’t detect either of these sign types. Only slowed for curve when ontop of it with no change in indicated speed limit. View attachment 587308 View attachment 587307

Green light chime was slow Or non existent if a car was in front at stop light.
On the plus car was almost centered in curves where previously in hugged the center line

A few things: Yellow signs are advisory, not limits, and I don't think this update takes them into account at all.
Green light chime only works when NOT on Autopilot behind another car.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
So what changes with 2020.36.10? Our 2016 S with FSD & MCU1 is working great on 2020.36 & I'm worried things will break with this next update. Our car correctly reads & displays speed limit signs on the dash now. And MCU1 is working the best it has in years right now on 2020.36.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
On MX/MS cars the 36.null crippled the steering wheel volume and mute control. It also caused lag in the acceleration pedal and other user input devices.

36.X.X fixes the steering controls.

On our FSD car, it has always displayed speed limit signs. But Speed-Limit-Sign-Recognition does not work on my car. Normal white speed limit signs (>95% of SLS) were not read by my MX with 36.null. I have not verified it with 36.X.X.

If I was not so lazy I'd show you a stretch of I-15 in Utah where 2 speed limit signs occur, one to your left, one to your right. They less that 12' from the two-lane roadway. The signs are normal white and say SPEED LIMIT 55. The car displays a 70 mph SLS on the visualization screen. Stevie Wonder could read these signs. I hit record when I saw it.

There are literally hundreds of ways to validate this. Be creative. Take some black tape and temporarily change an existing sign on a seldom used road.

If I was not so lazy I'd show you a stretch of I-15 in Utah where 2 speed limit signs occur, one to your left, one to your right. They less that 12' from the two-lane roadway. The signs are normal white and say SPEED LIMIT 55. The car displays a 70 mph SLS on the visualization screen. Stevie Wonder could read these signs. I hit record when I saw it.

The release notes say that speed sign recognition only works on local roads not highways/freeways.

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus
Not blind, that looks like a divided highway, and the speed limit sign reading is for local roads.
i.e. not for highways at this time.
Yeah I was today years old when I caught the local/highway thing, that would explain it....but how is 15 a correct speed limit on a two lane state highway, as happened on another stretch of road yesterday. I’ll try to record if it does that again!

Can anyone tell me the approximate Download size of this update?
I’m currently on 2020.32.5 and 2020.36.11 is now available for download.
I’m currently on holiday with only limited mobile internet available. But in two days I’ll be driving 1300km back home so would be nice to have it updated before then :)
Googling didn't give me any results for this update.

Curious if anyone else has noticed the car ignoring 75mph signs.
According to the release notes, the vehicle only reads speed limit signs visually on local roads and therefore would ignore 75 MPH signs.

Speed Assist Improvements

Speed Assist now leverages your car's cameras to detect speed limit signs to improve the accuracy of speed limit data on local roads.

Speed Assist now leverages your car's cameras to detect speed limit signs to improve the accuracy of speed limit data on local roads. Detected speed limit signs will be displayed in the driving visualization and used to set the associated Speed Limit Warning.

Reactions: hybridbear