TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. Padelford

Padelford Supporting Member

AFAIK, the daughter card in the MCU1 contains the solid state memory (eMMC) that fails in these units due to too many write cycles in the past from the Tesla firmware. The repair reportedly costs about $500 outside warranty. The SC took three days to install the card and get the MCU working again, including needing help from Tesla in Fremont.

I've also read that the new daughter card has more memory than the original, and I'll speculate that this could be why the SC had trouble integrating the card into the MCU. The shop receipt says they had to do some "firmware update", buy the overall vehicle firmware level didn't change.

• Informative x 1
  2. Krash

Krash Data Technician

#222 Krash, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    I am installing 2020.36.16 now on HW2 MCU1. It's been a long time since I got an update.

3. spokey

spokey Member

I installed 2020.40.3 today

But I've got a new MY

4. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

Installing 2020.36.16 right now.

5. cantbechanged

cantbechanged Member

We just installed 2020.36.16 on our X last night. Unfortunately, it deleted our profiles and disabled mobile access. The menu isn’t letting us add driver profiles back and the screen won’t display all menus. On a positive note, we got our temperature display back again after it was dashes for the last three weeks.

6. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

MCU1 or 2? If the former, hopefully it’s not indicative of a looming eMMC failure.

7. cantbechanged

cantbechanged Member

@pdx_m3s We are a MCU1 car. I dread the day the eMMC fails.

8. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

Just a matter of when. Luckily, it’s a really inexpensive fix now at Tesla.

• Like x 1
  9. Padelford

Padelford Supporting Member

If you call $500 a cheap fix. Plus the fix may take many days at an SC. It did for me.

10. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

You must not be familiar with German luxury cars. $500 is quite cheap in comparison.

11. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

These secondary updates may be small additional media/game updates tagged on the end.

12. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Yeah, I wouldn't call $500 cheap. Plus at that point, I'd just spend the money for MCU2 rather than repair antiquated technology.