Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does "Thickly Settled" mean?
The official description reads as follows:

"Statutory speed limits exist in the absence of special speed regulations. MGL c. 90 § 17 dictates that if no official speed postings have been made per MGL c. 90 § 18, then drivers are expected to travel at speeds that are reasonable and proper. On roads within thickly settled or business districts, the reasonable and proper rate of speed is 30 mph. In addition, cities and towns that opt-in to MGL c. 90 § 17C may further reduce the reasonable and proper speed within thickly settled or business districts to 25 mph."

I think it's interpreted in most towns that if there are no signs you need to go 30 (or 25). I'd be curious how it's argued in courts by people trying to get out of speeding tickets.

I did have a failure of recognition yesterday when the car interpreted a route 60 sign as a 60 mph hour zone on a road with 35 mph speed limit. The route sign is just a black on white 60 with no text at all, so not surprised that it interpreted it as a speed limit sign.
Not good though.

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
The official description reads as follows:

....................... I did have a failure of recognition yesterday when the car interpreted a route 60 sign as a 60 mph hour zone on a road with 35 mph speed limit. The route sign is just a black on white 60 with no text at all, so not surprised that it interpreted it as a speed limit sign.
Not good though.
Not good indeed!!!!

Here in Massachusetts we have these speed limit signs that say "speed limit 25 citywide - unless otherwise posted".
Typically they are mounted on major roads close after you cross a town line or come off a highway. More often than not they are on roads where the speed limit is in fact otherwise noted with a higher limit.
View attachment 583967
I was pleasantly surprised that the speed limit detection properly ignored these signs whenever I went by one.
and yes, it did pick up all of the normal speed limit signs that I went by.
Same problem in Australia.
Tesla must be able to configure base parameters by Region. I.e. in Queensland Australia speed in 50km in built up areas unless sign posted.

Looks like .36 had some bugs in it. It seemed to be going out wide and then stopped and now there is a 36.3.
That is unclear as 36.3 is mostly going to Ys per TeslaFI with 12K+ 'fleet'.
6lWEXNM.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
Looks like wheel configuration is part of this update also. I had Zero G wheels installed on my Model 3 Performance as part of the Track Pack a few months ago but it didn't show a change in configuration. Now there's multiple options. I love how the change extends throughout the user interface - even on the app!

IMG_2029.jpeg

IMG_2026.jpeg

IMG_2028.jpeg

IMG_2025.png

Yeah just regular freeway 65mph signs. Pic attached.
Thanks for the picture. Don't you wonder, tho, if the text below the sign may be throwing it out. ie. it doesn't process signs with "exceptions".
I completely understand that the text of 'radar enforced' is not an exception like 'school zone', 'night time', etc. I'm just wondering if it ignores any sign with extra wording. Hope that makes some sense. It didn't seem that far from the curb to me. I wonder if other 'radar enforced' texted signs have worked.

Model X or S with HW3 and MCU1 is able to visualized Traffic lights (visible on your Instrument Cluster). Do you also get the Green Light Chime.

I get traffic light visualization (including traffic light colors and stop lines), and the green light chime. I don't see speed limit signs on the right side of the display. I also don't see any vehicle response to a speed limit sign that's different from the GPS-based speed limit.

• Helpful
Reactions: PatrickCH4313