Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we’re having this lag problem also. (Model S with FSD computer and MCU1). Wife is not pleased...
No lag problem for us with MCU1 & the FSD computer in our Model S. Since 2020.36 was released I had been connecting the car to wifi at home to try to get it to download the update. We usually don't connect to wifi at home because the signal is weak & sometimes the car goes offline for hours at a time because of it. But when the car wasn't downloading this update & kept saying it was up to date then I gave up & removed the home wifi network last Thursday. But then yesterday the car decided to download the entire update over LTE & we installed it yesterday. We rebooted the center screen after the install before driving. The speed limit recognition is great! Minneapolis recently lowered all city speed limits from 30 MPH to 25 MPH and now the car reads those 25 MPH signs & updates the display accordingly. The green light chime also works. And in the few drives we did yesterday on 2020.36 our MCU1 performance seems to have improved compared to before. However, MCU1 doesn't get the visualization on the dash of the speed limit signs, that is limited to MCU2.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
No lag problem for us with MCU1 & the FSD computer in our Model S. Since 2020.36 was released I had been connecting the car to wifi at home to try to get it to download the update. We usually don't connect to wifi at home because the signal is weak & sometimes the car goes offline for hours at a time because of it. But when the car wasn't downloading this update & kept saying it was up to date then I gave up & removed the home wifi network last Thursday. But then yesterday the car decided to download the entire update over LTE & we installed it yesterday. We rebooted the center screen after the install before driving. The speed limit recognition is great! Minneapolis recently lowered all city speed limits from 30 MPH to 25 MPH and now the car reads those 25 MPH signs & updates the display accordingly. The green light chime also works. And in the few drives we did yesterday on 2020.36 our MCU1 performance seems to have improved compared to before. However, MCU1 doesn't get the visualization on the dash of the speed limit signs, that is limited to MCU2.

I was just looking for some corroboration with what I was seeing with MCU1 and HW3. Is it correct that the vehicle did respond to speed limit signs but that they weren't being displayed? I didn't experience any response by the vehicle to speed limit signs that weren't in the GPS map, and I didn't see any road-side signs on the display. Are you sure that the GPS-based speed limits didn't change?

I was just looking for some corroboration with what I was seeing with MCU1 and HW3. Is it correct that the vehicle did respond to speed limit signs but that they weren't being displayed? I didn't experience any response by the vehicle to speed limit signs that weren't in the GPS map, and I didn't see any road-side signs on the display. Are you sure that the GPS-based speed limits didn't change?
The speed limit sign on the left side of the display updates based on what the camera sees. There is no sign on a pole along the right side of the display to represent where the sign actually is with MCU1. That is just part of the FSD preview display. The signs start with the GPS speed showing the old speed limit when first turning onto a road, and then they update to the new speed limit once the camera sees a sign.

i like the improved traffic light behavior and that it now mostly recognizes speed limit signs.
However, it seems like the GPS based speed data has been thrown out.
Roads that I've been driving for over a year now have seemingly arbitrary speed limits, like 45 in a 65 zone or 25 in a 55 zone.
Its about as bad as phantom braking, it just suddenly decelerates.
Its turned previously great AP roads into not suitable for AP roads.
As all of the old feedback options seem to have gone I've resorted to a bug report every time I notice it. Must have sent dozens :)

...As all of the old feedback options seem to have gone I've resorted to a bug report every time I notice it. Must have sent dozens :)

FYI, those bug reports stay with your car, they don't actually go to Tesla or anywhere, disappointing I know. Also, they get deleted after about 10-ish days. I'm sure Tesla is running enough reports and sifting through plenty of data though. Both our 3 and Y have been uploaded gigs daily for the past couple weeks (we both have 60mi roundtrip routes to work...).

FYI, those bug reports stay with your car, they don't actually go to Tesla or anywhere, disappointing I know. Also, they get deleted after about 10-ish days. I'm sure Tesla is running enough reports and sifting through plenty of data though. Both our 3 and Y have been uploaded gigs daily for the past couple weeks (we both have 60mi roundtrip routes to work...).
are you sure about that? When I contacted Tesla about their diminishing support/feedback choices I was directed to use the in car bug report and book service calls.
Also, each time I've tagged a bug report as soon as the car is back home on wifi it uploads between 30-70Mb to mothership.

Reactions: MP3Mike
are you sure about that? When I contacted Tesla about their diminishing support/feedback choices I was directed to use the in car bug report and book service calls.
Also, each time I've tagged a bug report as soon as the car is back home on wifi it uploads between 30-70Mb to mothership.

They will encourage you to do the bug report so that they’re able to see the time stamp and look for what you’re having issues with. That’s why it’s also encouraged if you’re going to use the app to schedule an appt for something to do a report and note the time.

There’s no way to know what the data is being uploaded to the mothership, yes I’m sure you could look at the packets but I’m saying a normal “Joe mode” person wouldnt. I’d bet it’s mostly things that Tesla wants more info on... “if you see X then save the video/data and upload when on wifi”. There’s a few videos out there from some Tesla engineers that talk about how they’re able to query the fleet for a certain scenario and then report back when it happens.

Basically Tesla has a huge fleet of beta cars collecting Three Letter Agency levels of data on the road. But hey, if it gets rid of phantom braking I’m fine with them collecting the data!

hi just thought id add my experience with 36.3 I have a 2017 MS 90D FSD and just got it converted from MCU1, AP2 to MCU2 and HDW3 ( Which I have been very happy with) . There are threads for the upgrade experience so I wont add them here. I did take it on a long drive about 120 Mile R/T over familiar multiple Highways to see how the drive went . as usually I get about 9x % in full automatic and only a couple of disengages ( usually because a " manual driver" did some thing stupid in front of me), or FSD was braking too hard to be conservative in lane changes ) I noticed a few things that have cropped up again that is it is doing that were eliminated in previous versions ( at least for me) . first is off ramp speed. for a while there it seem to be picking up the lateral acceleration and adjusting speed the turn to make it more pleasant going into the turn and through the turn . now it seems a bit " choppy " not as sure going into the turns for off ramps as well as maintaining the speed though the turn - less smooth to the point of having to disengage couple of times ( probably a minor tweak as versions go ) . I thought maybe it was because I had not taken it for a long drive since I had the upgrade so maybe it needed time to settle. the way back was about the same., I usually take this route once a month ( and was not traveling it during lock down) so i'll see how it does now that I am back doing it regularly . another thing is in Pennsylvania they have larger line gaps on their side road turn offs ( then the white side line starts back up . in previous versions it would "lurch" every time it saw one of these ( trying to lane center) only to realize it was not the lane, lurching back to center. In later versions the car learned to ignore these focus more on the car infront or the center lane . on this version it seems this issues is back ( A tad annoying ) . maybe in later versions ( or the complete re write) it will settle down again. still does not handle the round about in Pennsylvania on rt 15 ( A double lane round about) it is fun to watch it panic as it enters and slows down. it gets about 1/4 of the way around and alarms go off to take over ( it used to just run up on the curb). yes, I am being safe and not doing this with other cars around . it is more of a science experiment for me. I have also noticed the blue tracking ( when it down selects to not NOA) are " wiggly" indicating less of a lock and more processing going on ( a switch from HDW2 to HDW3?) . previous versions ( at least under AP 2 and MCU 1) were more stable . in general , NOA and FSD work great for me and is very enjoyable ( I use it a lot). as always looking forward to the next SW update!

The speed limit sign on the left side of the display updates based on what the camera sees. There is no sign on a pole along the right side of the display to represent where the sign actually is with MCU1. That is just part of the FSD preview display. The signs start with the GPS speed showing the old speed limit when first turning onto a road, and then they update to the new speed limit once the camera sees a sign.

Mine does not update the left-side speed sign when the posted limit changes, and the vehicle ignores the posted speed change. As far as I can tell, the speed limit sign detection does not work on a HW3/MCU1 configuration.

Can you post a video of the speed limit sign recognition on your HW3/MCU1 vehicle?

I'm still observing the speed limit detection performance. Overall, the car seems to be behaving better.

I haven't noticed any increased lag regarding the infotainment, but I can confirm that it's phantom braking less for me as well. Still early to be absolutely sure, but so far so good.

Just drove 1400 miles with the borked steering wheels controls on 2020.36. OTA updates are not always a blessing, that was a PITA.

The newest update fixes it. Wish it was released before we left for our trip. :(

Just drove 1400 miles with the borked steering wheels controls on 2020.36. OTA updates are not always a blessing, that was a PITA.

The newest update fixes it. Wish it was released before we left for our trip. :(

The opinions on the 2020.36 updates are all over the place. Some are having more phantom braking, others, UI issues, AP problems etc.. For me, except for it not reading some speed signs, it's been mostly positive. No new AP or UI problems. All controls are fine. No UI glitches. For cyclists and larger vehicles it slows down gently now. And all the indecisiveness on the freeway when next to larger vehicles have been greatly reduced. And there's already another update on the way.

2920.36.3.1 - Phantom braking is now on steroids.
Road limit was 50mph car didn’t detect either of these sign types. Only slowed for curve when ontop of it with no change in indicated speed limit. 609BD713-CDB4-4F22-9E70-290268F0A589.jpeg 21A8C962-7D35-41FD-A4B9-FF9DB7A7945C.jpeg

Green light chime was slow Or non existent if a car was in front at stop light.
On the plus car was almost centered in curves where previously in hugged the center line

Last edited: