Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I
Downloading 2020.36 now Brisbane Australia 2019 Model 3 with FSD.
Hope the reading of Speed limits is an option here. Sometimes we have to wait a few months for features to roll out.
Installing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Funny
Reactions: captain_sahaj
Standard AP will have it, as long as you have HW3.

I just tried 2020.36 in my vehicle (HW3, MCU1), and there were NO speed sign visualizations on the right side of the road in the driver display. The vehicle not only didn't display the speed limit signs, it didn't recognize the speed limit signs when the speed limit changed and slow the vehicle down.

I just tried 2020.36 in my vehicle (HW3, MCU1), and there were NO speed sign visualizations on the right side of the road in the driver display. The vehicle not only didn't display the speed limit signs, it didn't recognize the speed limit signs when the speed limit changed and slow the vehicle down.
We had all the normalizations on both cars that we installed it on. Did you try a reboot? Maybe it's because you only have MCU1.

The green light chime was spotty. The speed limit sign recognition always worked but if you turned off TACC, it would forget the correct speed limit.

Overall, not the most exciting update but it is nice to have sign recognition finally.

Same here, but I have FSD. I installed 2020.36 and went out for a drive. It didn't acknowledge the speed limit signs at all and didn't display them on the visualizations.

I drove around for 30 minutes and rebooted the display, and suddenly they started appearing. Not sure if it's a bug or if there needed to be a feature flag flipped from the mothership. Also not sure what triggered the sudden display of speed limit signs. I've seen some people on Twitter also reporting that the speed limit signs weren't displaying right after the update.

Although I'm not sure if MCU1 will have it. IIRC MCU1 doesn't show certain visualizations like cones and turn arrow signal lights.

Last edited:
Same here, but I have FSD. I installed 2020.36 and went out for a drive. It didn't acknowledge the speed limit signs at all and didn't display them on the visualizations.

I drove around for 30 minutes and rebooted the display, and suddenly they started appearing. Not sure if it's a bug or if there needed to be a feature flag flipped from the mothership. Also not sure what triggered the sudden display of speed limit signs. I've seen some people on Twitter also reporting that the speed limit signs weren't displaying right after the update.
So when there’s a spot where GPS speed limit signs were wrong does your car now display the correct speed limit because it’s reading the signs with the camera?

So when there’s a spot where GPS speed limit signs were wrong does your car now display the correct speed limit because it’s reading the signs with the camera?
Yes it does! Works really well, very pleased with this update. It did a great job reading partially obstructed speed limits too. One thing I noticed that is different than AP1 speed limit detection is that with AP1 the speed limit on the IC would change after you passed the sign, whereas this will change the speed limit as soon as it reads it at a distance.

E9JJrSq.jpg

Also not sure if it's new, but when I disconnect Bluetooth or change the vehicle profile in the app I get a new "Phone Key Disconnected" error message. I've failed to lock the car a couple times after I switched to a different vehicle in the Tesla app or disconnected Bluetooth and walked away, so this should be pretty useful.

JXVWiAY.jpg

It's a shame the Tesla doesn't provide a more detailed explanation of the speed limit feature.

Does it follow the advisory speeds on sharp curves?

Can it distinguish between a school speed limit versus the regular speed limit? And when the school limit is relevant?

When does it follow one speed limit versus another?

It's difficult for me to trust the speed limit feature until I understand more about it.

Initial drive confirmed reading of speed limit signs with only 1 outlier but in a good way. I passed a sign in a school zone that said "only when flashing". Unfortunately, only way to validate would be to drive by when it's flashing but the building is no longer a school so that won't be happening.

Reactions: DDotJ
Earlier in this thread there's a discussion about whether Tesla can get around the MobileEye patent. See for example:
True if someone’s old wife works in the patent office...

US20080137908A1 - Detecting and recognizing traffic signs - Google Patents
which points to the patent.
The important part of a patent is the claims. To infringe someone must do all the elements of the claims. If you don't do what they are calling partitioning, in order to read the sign then you are not infringing. From the first claim: "(b) first partitioning a first portion of the image frames to the image processor for the detecting of the traffic sign and second partitioning a second portion of the image frames for said other driver assistance function; and..."

Some parallel testing/validation going on !! ie. Tesla putting both .36 and .32.5 in a lot of cars.

@greentheonly
Well, Europe is getting a wide push of "right to repair" 2020.32.5 right now, 2020.36 is a separate branch that does not contain these changes yet, so probably a later update will be widely pushed there that includes all the changes.
E9F17n7.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear