Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tried 2020.36 in my vehicle (HW3, MCU1), and there were NO speed sign visualizations on the right side of the road in the driver display. The vehicle not only didn't display the speed limit signs, it didn't recognize the speed limit signs when the speed limit changed and slow the vehicle down.
I just installed this and it didn’t recognize them at first but did after a while. I saw on a YouTube video it has to calibrate for a time before it starts working.

I just tried 2020.36 in my vehicle (HW3, MCU1), and there were NO speed sign visualizations on the right side of the road in the driver display. The vehicle not only didn't display the speed limit signs, it didn't recognize the speed limit signs when the speed limit changed and slow the vehicle down.

So forgive my ignorance. I'm usually pretty up-to-date on these things. But is it possilbe to have both MCU1 and HW3? Like did you have the FSD computer added to your MX? That doesn't require the new MCU? If so, that seems like a strange choice on Tesla's part. Like even tho the two computers are "independent" they still need to interface and the two MCU generations use vastly different architectures. Seems like a lot of labor to have two software baselines for a relatively inexpensive component. Like the MCU is small potatoes compared to even a few hours of a developers time.

Last edited:
Same here, but I have FSD. I installed 2020.36 and went out for a drive. It didn't acknowledge the speed limit signs at all and didn't display them on the visualizations.

I drove around for 30 minutes and rebooted the display, and suddenly they started appearing. Not sure if it's a bug or if there needed to be a feature flag flipped from the mothership. Also not sure what triggered the sudden display of speed limit signs. I've seen some people on Twitter also reporting that the speed limit signs weren't displaying right after the update.

Although I'm not sure if MCU1 will have it. IIRC MCU1 doesn't show certain visualizations like cones and turn arrow signal lights.

Same here. FSD on my 3. Did not change speed limit to posted 35 mph after I had travelled through and exited a stretch where it was posted 45 mph. Nor did I get any chime when the light turned green at an intersection where I was stopped for red. I had both enabled.

Isn’t Tesla’s work around the car sends the Image to the mothership and then it translates to what the speed is. I think With mobileeye all that is done in the car.

ah, no.

the workaround folklore is that it uses two cpus to check the speed limit. The MobileMe patent uses one cpu. There are two cpus on HW3. I’m not sure about HW2.5 computer board.

Patents can be that specific and limited.

2020.36 works great on my Model Y. There are a lot of Wrong map speed limits on rural roads. The “fix” of reading the speed signs is very helpful. Unfortunately many rural roads don’t have speed limit signs, but are 20-30 mph wrong in the map data.

Still waiting for the Model 3.

Last edited:
Has anyone had it recognize freeway speed signs? For me, it seems to be working off the freeway only.

It clearly said local roads in the release notes so that's more than likely why, but was just wondering.

MIGHT be coincidence but mine changed from 65 to 70 right at the sign today.

Plus it seems to move OUT of the passing lane again, albeit inconsistently. If there is a car behind you especially. And in one case of an impatient driver drafting me, it turned on the right signal before even clearing the semi.

I saw the update was available on my app yesterday. But I was traveling and wasn’t near WIFI. So when I got home today I looked for it to do the update. But it’s not on my app anymore. It disappeared! How do I get it back?

I've had that happen before. Try to reboot your car and go to the software update screen in car where it checks for latest version. I've gotten it to reappear like that and if not right away, sometimes a couple of hours after that.

This Green light Chime is awesome.

I really didn't expect it to be that useful. Can't tell you how many times I try and do something at a red-light, fiddle with music, nav, a setting or something. If my wife is with with me I'll ask here to watch the light. Sometimes I might get honked at if I'm not watching out of the corner of my eye closely enough. Today it brought my attention back immediately with no honk :) Drivers at red lights behind me will thank Elon.

My car recognized speed signs almost immediately on a short drive. Have not tested it on the highway.