Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.4.1 Free Premium Connectivity (for some reason?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had started paying for Premium Connectivity on my Model S (purchased October 2018) in January, with the renewal set for mid-February. After the software update to 2020.4.1 a few days ago, I got a message on the touchscreen that my premium connectivity had expired and that I had to update my payment preferences. When I logged in to my Tesla account and pulled up my car, it says I have Unlimited Free Premium Connectivity. But, at the same time, I've lost Premium Connectivity in the car and I have no way to purchase it from my Tesla account since it says I get it for free (for random reasons). :confused:
Anyone else have this happen ? I'm trying to contact Tesla, but I think we all know how difficult that is. Thought I'd ask here too.

Why is it hard to contact Tesla? You call on the phone and select an option that gives you a person. They can then either solve the problem or get you to someone. In the past I’ve used either software issue or one of the others (the menu keeps changing as we know).

In this case it’s an issue that stops car features from working from working so should be easy to get them to escalate. I’ve not seen this issue but let me check my Tesla account.

Edit; my premium for the 3 says it renews in 3 days. Let’s see what happens then!

Reactions: jlv1
It's hard to contact them because the Tesla number I've called takes me (eventually) to a service center (or voicemail) who then tells me to go to their website for more information. Now, after digging through their website, I was able to find a "Contact Us" form (not this one: Contact | Tesla) and have emailed them, but, it shouldn't be this hard to get a hold of someone. It's almost as bad as trying to get a solution from the cable company. Since this is a purely a software issue, no service center can fix this or I'd simply drive there. The solution has to come from the software team in Fremont and all that the service center can do is tell me to contact Tesla through their website. Maybe you've had better luck than me. If you have the magic number to call, I'd be happy to try it :)

Why is it hard to contact Tesla? You call on the phone and select an option that gives you a person. They can then either solve the problem or get you to someone. In the past I’ve used either software issue or one of the others (the menu keeps changing as we know).

In this case it’s an issue that stops car features from working from working so should be easy to get them to escalate. I’ve not seen this issue but let me check my Tesla account.

Edit; my premium for the 3 says it renews in 3 days. Let’s see what happens then!
Because Tesla customer service is the worst.

I have not been able to reach Tesla in my 2 months of owning my car. I usually end up calling my SC and than choose the delivery option to get some one. If there is an easy method or number I should be using please do let me know.

You shouldn’t have to pay for it. Tesla grandfathered in all used purchases made before 1/9/20.

are you sure your car doesn’t have commectivity? Have you tried a hard reboot of your car? My guess is that you started to pay for it it expired and the two haven’t synced up because Tesla never did take away premium connectivity on our cars on 12/31 despite our accounts and cars saying it would end. In 1/10 my car and account updated to unlimited.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I have not been able to reach Tesla in my 2 months of owning my car. I usually end up calling my SC and than choose the delivery option to get some one. If there is an easy method or number I should be using please do let me know.
What happens if you do as I outlined? I’ve not tried it in the last month or so but used it several times over the fall. Call national support (no other number exists that I ever knew of) and pick software support or perhaps trouble charging and tell them the issue and say you can’t reach the Service Center and can’t wait for an appt. In this case (the premium connectivity) an appt makes no sense and neither does calling the SC.

Other issues they have always been helpful with on checking logs and the like where waiting for an SC visit was overkill. They may now be too overloaded to do anything, I don’t know, but in the past this always worked for me.

I made a service appointment thru the app. Tesla contacted me via text and gave me the Premium Connectivity for free as I should have according to the face I purchased my car used prior to 2020-01-09.

Things got worse before it was eventually fixed, I had an evening commute without music streaming or live traffic, but I rebooted the next morning and it was all correct.

So about 24 hours to get it straightened out after they first contacted me via text (excluding a weekend in there).

We have a single human being answering all phone calls for two service centers that service customers in about half a dozen states. He literally gets hundreds of phone calls a day and most of the time you can't even leave a voice mail because the mail box is full.

Tesla customer service is the worst.

What happens if you do as I outlined? I’ve not tried it in the last month or so but used it several times over the fall. Call national support (no other number exists that I ever knew of) and pick software support or perhaps trouble charging and tell them the issue and say you can’t reach the Service Center and can’t wait for an appt. In this case (the premium connectivity) an appt makes no sense and neither does calling the SC.

Other issues they have always been helpful with on checking logs and the like where waiting for an SC visit was overkill. They may now be too overloaded to do anything, I don’t know, but in the past this always worked for me.
I'm going to give this a shot. My emails to the Watertown service center haven't always been answered either, although, they have always treated me very well for every service appointment and warranty work.
I don't have a problem paying for the premium connectivity. It's great having the convenience of listening to nearly whatever and having live traffic information. I just don't want to lose it when Tesla has a valid credit credit on file. I've tried rebooting the car once, but not a hard reboot. That's next.
Thanks !

I had started paying for Premium Connectivity on my Model S (purchased October 2018) in January, with the renewal set for mid-February. After the software update to 2020.4.1 a few days ago, I got a message on the touchscreen that my premium connectivity had expired and that I had to update my payment preferences. When I logged in to my Tesla account and pulled up my car, it says I have Unlimited Free Premium Connectivity. But, at the same time, I've lost Premium Connectivity in the car and I have no way to purchase it from my Tesla account since it says I get it for free (for random reasons). :confused:
Anyone else have this happen ? I'm trying to contact Tesla, but I think we all know how difficult that is. Thought I'd ask here too.

I had a similar occurrence. I bought my 2013 car in July 2019, and I had a screenshot from back when I bought it that showed premium connectivity, but didn't say 6 months or anything. Then back in December 2019 I got a message that I had to start paying for it. So, WTH, $10.00.... I just paid it. Then I got a refund on my credit card for the $10 and I now see "Premium Connectivity: Free Unlimited"

Not sure what happened that they took it away then gave it back, but that seems to be the disorganized way of Tesla.

I just noticed Tesla credited me (about a week ago) for the month of Premium Connectivity that I purchased in early January - without me having to ask.
I wasn't going to raise the issue as I didn't want my connectivity to possibly get b0rked again.
So I have FUSC and FUPC, which is correct for my purchase date.

Reactions: CaryRx
I did get a response from Tesla that some cars were seeing this issue - Premium connectivity taken away for some reason t(hey did not tell me what exactly caused this). Once it was resolved, it showed up as an included feature on the car. No idea what happened or why, but, glad that live traffic updates are enabled again.