Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.4.1 incoming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You see here is my take on this after 3+ months of ownership. Why would you release updates that make features that worked just fine worse?
Welcome aboard the Tesla rollercoaster that is software updates. At the very least, set your software update preference to "standard" to minimise this effect, but don't complain about being behind on features.

I just got 2020.4.1 after a long delay (MCU1) despite being on advanced and had the autopilot failing bug in the release I kept for a long time, now I've finally got NoA which only just got released in Australia. I've taken it out for a drive and love the feature. But the voice recognition is abysmal now and is difficult to get working when it used to only be dodgy. I'm used to the pain now, but can understand why others would find it untenable.

Welcome aboard the Tesla rollercoaster that is software updates. At the very least, set your software update preference to "standard" to minimise this effect, but don't complain about being behind on features.

I just got 2020.4.1 after a long delay (MCU1) despite being on advanced and had the autopilot failing bug in the release I kept for a long time, now I've finally got NoA which only just got released in Australia. I've taken it out for a drive and love the feature. But the voice recognition is abysmal now and is difficult to get working when it used to only be dodgy. I'm used to the pain now, but can understand why others would find it untenable.

Agreed seeing as I do not have the option to roll back I will wait until its fixed then refuse updates until they are ready for prime time on the basic functionality. Because people are getting kangarooed and now I am asked to turn it off. But as for untenable when my car decelerates on AP activation from 70 to 55 rapidly that is more in the unsafe it was not tested properly and that on roads causes accidents. You have no time to react to it.

just my opinion, but the driver of a vehicle in most states is responsible for passengers buckling in... adult or not. And while it’s easy to think that an adult can make their own choice for safety, an unbuckled rear seat passenger can kill you up front in an accident.

I believe you are correct, but I also think the original poster's point was: Warn me and then let me be; I'm an adult and can make my own choices. I agree with that position.

I drove around a little bit to test out autopilot on 2020.4.1...

The main things I was looking for was if "NoA change pack into passing lane" was brought back yet and whether stop sign and stop light alert still requires map data, or if they switched to only vision. Neither of things were changed, unfortunately.

However, I did notice a few other things. (SR+, AP2.5)
  • There are now some locations / roads... where I am limited to putting the speed limit to only 5 over the speed limit and I am able to enable NoA.... Is this new? It's new to me. Previously, all the places where NoA enables, are also locations where speed limit is not capped to 5 over the speed limit.
  • Stop sign alert and stop light alert is even earlier now. (Christmas update made them significantly earlier making them more useful) This updates makes them a little earlier still.
  • Driving on roads without any lane lines is improved
  • Emergency take over locations (like entering a roundabout or an unmarked confusing Y intersection in a rural. suburban area).. these locations they still trigger emergency take over... however they track road free space and avoid running off the road or hitting a curb and quickly slow to a stop before going off road. Previous versions would just run off the road while beeping the emergency take over.
Another thing I am wondering about is I read about rumors Tesla was adding "green light warning" in the next update... It's not in this update... but I am wondering was that just a rumor? or is that still coming? Anyone know anything about this?

I disagree with this logic - why shouldn’t ALL adults in a car be fined for any unbuckled adults? The fine should only be given to the unbuckled adult, not the driver.

Respectfully disagree. When the unbuckled passenger's body, flailing about the cabin can kill everyone else in the car, it is not just about a lone adult decision. This is a driver responsibility to ensure passenger safety before driving.

Looking at TeslaFi, I'm guessing they halted the rollout of 2020.4.1 as well as 2020.4. Here's to 2020.4.2!

I got this update this evening 01/28. after you said this. It was not there when I went out for lunch at work, and WAS there to be downloaded when I left for the evening (in pacific standard time). So either they never stopped it, or they stopped and started it.... or... using teslafi to make these assumptions is not necessarily accurate. Some combination of those.

I have owned my M3P for about two months and only had braking once. Also the autopilot is rock steady with lane keeping. (hw 3.0)

Phantom braking... I haven't seen that in a long, long time. But I have noticed the lane weaving the past couple months.

I'm equating this to something from my old "Servo-Mechanisms" class. It's like "ringing" as a result of underdamped control, and could be related to them trying to keep up with things - so they crank up the Gain and everything corrects in time, but then overshoots a bit.

However, ringing might be typical of a rapid change (in steering) yet these behaviors are gradual like when merging traffic. So maybe there are other priority tasks that bog it down, and we are seeing the result of their way of adapting to the overloaded CPUs. Curious if anyone sees ping-ponging associated with more complex tasks or just anytime? (Complex could mean anything from many shadows, to traffic density, speed, or maybe even line marking quality.)

I'm with others that this is a maxed out CPU. Elon said it was at 80% capacity about a year ago! So need HW 3.0 soon please. Hope to hear more on earnings day tomorrow. Mine is an old Model 3 LR RWD HW2.5 - with the orange glass (hoping it becomes a collector, right).

Phantom braking... I haven't seen that in a long, long time. But I have noticed the lane weaving the past couple months.

I'm equating this to something from my old "Servo-Mechanisms" class. It's like "ringing" as a result of underdamped control, and could be related to them trying to keep up with things - so they crank up the Gain and everything corrects in time, but then overshoots a bit.

However, ringing might be typical of a rapid change (in steering) yet these behaviors are gradual like when merging traffic. So maybe there are other priority tasks that bog it down, and we are seeing the result of their way of adapting to the overloaded CPUs. Curious if anyone sees ping-ponging associated with more complex tasks or just anytime? (Complex could mean anything from many shadows, to traffic density, speed, or maybe even line marking quality.)

I'm with others that this is a maxed out CPU. Elon said it was at 80% capacity about a year ago! So need HW 3.0 soon please. Hope to hear more on earnings day tomorrow. Mine is an old Model 3 LR RWD HW2.5 - with the orange glass (hoping it becomes a collector, right).

... and then there are days when I think it has just taken on a new style of driving - keeping things loose like Tai Chi. Maybe it sees better by weaving which creates a better 3D model and definition of drivable space. (Same as why a cat shifts it's head up/down to see it's prey.)

Maybe the car adapted itself to be more safe, lol. If it ever did, I doubt Tesla PR would want anyone to know.

My Raven X started downloading this early in the evening. But it looked stuck in “downloading state”. I had to take the car for a short road trip tonight and I figured it would just pickup where it left off or start over when I get back (which may be a good thing). It started to download, stopped and now it says “connect to WiFi for the software update (which I’ve seen come up numerous times with many versions). It’s on Solid WiFi and I even ran SpeedTest.net and I could see it was Verizon FIOS instead of AT&T that the car uses. Model X apparently does not have a shutdown menu like Model 3. I’ve tried reboots and my phone hotspot. Still stuck.

Is the only way out Tesla service or wait for the next update.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert

My Model 3 phantom brakes at least once a day during my ~1 hr commute. It's a two-lane road the entire way. A lot of the times it's when there's oncoming traffic and a slight (or larger) right curve in the road. Last week, however, it did a hard brake for oncoming traffic on a very straight portion of road.

My Model 3 phantom brakes at least once a day during my ~1 hr commute. It's a two-lane road the entire way. A lot of the times it's when there's oncoming traffic and a slight (or larger) right curve in the road. Last week, however, it did a hard brake for oncoming traffic on a very straight portion of road.

Definitely road dependent. I only get the sudden braking when someone turns in front of me... all delayed and slow to recover, but better than earlier versions. But this isn't the same as phantom braking.