Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.4.1 incoming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if just me but I find it is now really slow to accelerate when a car moves out from in front of you. Speed set for 70, sitting at 45 and then seems to take forever to get back up to 70 when all clear. End up having to force it as cars behind me not happy.

Not sure if just me but I find it is now really slow to accelerate when a car moves out from in front of you. Speed set for 70, sitting at 45 and then seems to take forever to get back up to 70 when all clear. End up having to force it as cars behind me not happy.

I noticed this too the other day. I was on NoA and the lane in front of me cleared. The car accelerated very slowly and actually changed lanes "to get into a faster lane".

Yes I’ve noticed this too. I thought it was a purposeful gradual acceleration so it would avoid being jarring to the car’s occupants.

I noticed this too the other day. I was on NoA and the lane in front of me cleared. The car accelerated very slowly and actually changed lanes "to get into a faster lane".

Not for me. Still too strong and when following a vehicle it is constantly adjusting speed (power/regen/power/regen...).

And it is really bad in stop and go. I have it set to spacing of 3. The car will stop as expected, with about a car length to 1 1/2 spacing. When the lead car starts up, AP does not start right away but delays about 1/2 second, then seems to significantly floor it (100 or so on the power band) to make sure it catches up.

Going to change to CHILL next week on my weekly trip to see if that works better.

Not for me. Still too strong and when following a vehicle it is constantly adjusting speed (power/regen/power/regen...).

And it is really bad in stop and go. I have it set to spacing of 3. The car will stop as expected, with about a car length to 1 1/2 spacing. When the lead car starts up, AP does not start right away but delays about 1/2 second, then seems to significantly floor it (100 or so on the power band) to make sure it catches up.

Going to change to CHILL next week on my weekly trip to see if that works better.

Yeah, I have that too, though I have my distance set to 1. Sometimes it starts too slowly, sometimes too quickly. When it starts too quickly it'll oscillate the way you describe (power/regen/etc). Seems to be based on how aggressively the car in front accelerates. For what it's worth this behavior is not new.

thats one of the things which imho is finally fixed with the last version. unfortunately it also caused the car to accelerate too hard...

2020.4.1 clocks in at 3.0 GB

This has made me wonder ...

The final “feature complete” FSD update will trigger a significant financial event (recognition of all remaining deferred revenue, which is probably a lot of money at this point), meaning the stock will bump as a result.

As such, do you think Tesla will handle the release of “feature complete” no different than any other rollout — incremental, kinda whenever-they-want, as far as timing? (This would be equivalent to announcing a significant financial event during trading, so is it even allowed...?)

Or might Tesla put the feature set behind a feature toggle and more strictly control the timing? Perhaps even during an earnings report ... :)

could it be that the first update of a new year release they push a full update instead of a set of update patches? Just thinking they might do that to guarantee a stable image across the fleet once a year.

2020.4.1 clocks in at 3.0 GB

This has made me wonder ...

The final “feature complete” FSD update will trigger a significant financial event (recognition of all remaining deferred revenue, which is probably a lot of money at this point), meaning the stock will bump as a result.

As such, do you think Tesla will handle the release of “feature complete” no different than any other rollout — incremental, kinda whenever-they-want, as far as timing? (This would be equivalent to announcing a significant financial event during trading, so is it even allowed...?)

Or might Tesla put the feature set behind a feature toggle and more strictly control the timing? Perhaps even during an earnings report ... :)

First of all 'feature complete' FSD is complete bullocks as what was advertised when I purchased FSD day one was it would let you go to sleep and wake up at your destination. Those are the exact words Musk used on stage during the day one unveiling event. Moving the goal posts if they take those as profits before that happens.

You may disagree with the logic, but in my country both the driver and passenger refusing to buckle up are responsible, both in criminal and civil suits (and insurance companies will refuse to cover injuries incurred or caused by the passenger, in case of accidents). And they both get fined. One for not buckling up, the other for driving after failing to force the other for buckling up.

The reason is exactly to discourage the driver from saying it's "not his problem". In that way, I find the nagging helpful: you can force the passenger to buckle up just to stop the nagging, even if he disagrees with the law and is adamant he has the right to put everyone in danger.

But it isn't (or shouldn't be) his problem. We need to stop the nanny state and treats adults as responsible on their own.

I have owned my M3P for about two months and only had braking once. Also the autopilot is rock steady with lane keeping. (hw 3.0)

I believe it is HW2.5 that can no longer keep up it's internal frame rate with the last few sw releases including the stoplight and traffic cone detection which is causing AP stability issues and either Tesla needs to get the HW3 upgrades out as soon as possible or release two separate firmwares for those with and without HW3.

Hmm, sad to say the ping ponging is back just as bad on my HW2.5 MCU1 model x. Immediately after 2020.4.1 it was resolved but within a few days the ping ponging has returned. Just in the middle of a 600 mile road trip and it’s become nearly unusable again.

It is odd though that it seems to gradually return, with a brief respite right after updating. Anyone else have similar findings?

For those that don’t believe ping ponging exists, I used it be like you but now that I have issues I know understand.

It is odd though that it seems to gradually return, with a brief respite right after updating. Anyone else have similar findings?

For those that don’t believe ping ponging exists, I used it be like you but now that I have issues I know understand.

It seems to occur almost entirely randomly, and I've seen it in every update since the version 9 release, to varying degrees, and with varying frequency. The current releases are a lot better than they were, but they are still not nearly as steady as version 8.

Then again, it handles a lot of ramps that version 8 would give up and drive right across the solid white lines on, so my guess is that maybe they used to limit the maximum amount that it would turn the wheel in a single adjustment of the wheel position, and that they removed that limit, but didn't do anything else to recognize outliers, and the result (probably in conjunction with some sort of mathematical overflow/underflow) is an oscillation whose magnitude occasionally gets larger and larger until you grab the wheel.

It seems to occur almost entirely randomly, and I've seen it in every update since the version 9 release, to varying degrees, and with varying frequency. The current releases are a lot better than they were, but they are still not nearly as steady as version 8.

Then again, it handles a lot of ramps that version 8 would give up and drive right across the solid white lines on, so my guess is that maybe they used to limit the maximum amount that it would turn the wheel in a single adjustment of the wheel position, and that they removed that limit, but didn't do anything else to recognize outliers, and the result (probably in conjunction with some sort of mathematical overflow/underflow) is an oscillation whose magnitude occasionally gets larger and larger until you grab the wheel.

mhmm that makes some sense. Well I hope it gets better, for passengers who get motion sickness easy it makes it unusable for long road trips, which is kind of the point of having EAP.. :(

I still haven’t got the update. I usually get updates much sooner.
Might want to do a brake + reset Both of our cars were /are on advanced and every time I “checked for software update” it displayed we had the latest updated. I finally did a brake+reset and waiting minutes both cars had an “update available” With two cats doing it side by side it was TOO random to not have been an issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Might want to do a brake + reset Both of our cars were /are on advanced and every time I “checked for software update” it displayed we had the latest updated. I finally did a brake+reset and waiting minutes both cars had an “update available” With two cats doing it side by side it was TOO random to not have been an issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree. While not a perfect sample, TeslaFi is a good cross section of the fleet, (10,500+ cars) and it shows over 90% of cars are now on 2020.4.1. Seems like most left on older versions are either not updating by choice, are just taking their time to actually update, or are having glitches and not getting it for some reason. I'd guess if you want the update and haven't seen it yet it's probably a glitch.

Looks to me like Tesla really wants 2020.4.1 to be the new baseline software before they start new feature releases.

Reactions: bdub85