Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.4.1 Update Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I had the strangest experience yesterday with the 2020.4.1 update.

First a little background: I have a Model S (Signature version - almost 8 years old) and a Model 3 Dual Motor Performance with AutoPilot Hardware 2.5. I have never had a problem with updating software on either of my cars for the past many years.

Yesterday, I was at work and I got the notification about the new update available for my Model S (which was at home). I started the update using my phone and it finished very quickly. Of course, I wanted the update for my Model 3 too so that I can experience the improvements, and I found out from my App that it was actually downloading the software to the car at the time. I was happy and I waited for it to finish the download. Once it finished, I started the Installation right away.

Model S update was estimated to be 50 min update, but Model 3 update was estimated to be only 25 minutes (I wonder why). Model 3 update went up to 60% and it got stuck there for a very very long time. After over an hour and half, I got tired of waiting and went to the car. Luckily, it let me in and it shows, on the screen, "Updating Electronic Control Unit" with a black background. But, it was clear, it got stuck there for more than an hour, and no other UI available (not even a cancel button). I pressed on the break, it came alive, I put it in Drive, it let me drive. Bizarre! I drove down the street, but not brave enough to drive home, so I came back to office, and parked in the same spot. Now, when I get out of the car, I can't even lock the car (I could only try from the phone because there was no other UI available on the screen in the car).

Not sure what to do, so I decided to go back in the office and check on the internet if anyone reported anything like this. Didn't find anything, so I went back to car and decided to reboot the computer. Computer came back on, with full UI, but with a warning that "The car needs software update, call service". I called the service, but the roadside assistance person was not very helpful. No other options available for continuing the update or anything - so I decided to take Lyft and go home. (By the way, now that the UI was available, I could lock the car!)

As I was going home, I checked the App on the phone, and it gave me an option to install the software again. Since I didn't have anything to lose, I started the update, and this time it quickly jumped to 60%, and a few minutes later, to 80%, and finished the installation in a few minutes later and rebooted the car. I turned around and came back, picked up the car, and drove home after that with no issues!

Here are a few questions:

Has anyone seen something like this before?

If I drove the car in the middle of the installation, and it finished the installation, I wonder if it would reboot at the end of the installation even though I may be in the middle of driving. (Surprised it let me drive the car while it was in the middle of updating the ECU).

The person on the phone at the service thought that it needed internet (or Wifi) connection during the installation. Is that correct? I was under the impression you only need it for the download.

Any other comments and wisdom you can impart to this situation will be very useful to me (and hopefully to the Tesla community in general).

Thank you all,
Mohan

Yeah you shouldn’t have drove it mid-install but it looks like the car hanged on the installation. Service centre just has to push the update again or they will tell you to wait for the next update. Weird things can happen with software updating, it’s fine. Do a reset if it doesn’t fix your issues contact service.

After rebooting, the app notified that a software update was available. However, the subsequent attempt to update the car failed. Vehicle stated that it required a software update and to schedule a service appointment which I did.
IMG_0236.jpg

After rebooting, the app notified that a software update was available. However, the subsequent attempt to update the car failed. Vehicle stated that it required a software update and to schedule a service appointment which I did.
View attachment 506665
After the reboot, I somehow managed to restart the update. It left off from 60% and was completed sometime later with no notification to my phone. The car's software version had been updated to 2020.4.1, so I cancelled the service appointment.

Took half a day to completely download the update, then it seemed stuck at 100% for another half a day, before it notified me that it was ready to install. Then it took 2 tries to get the install to update.

FWIW, uneventful update. Rebooted as usual afterwards using full power off. Great driving on AP and NOA.

We know that with HW 2.5 it does hog the passing lane, but that's easy to work around until we get HW 3. Otherwise amazingly skillful autopilot, five stars.