Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two negative things I’m experiencing with this update:
1) autopilot is struggling around turns on the highway - often goes very wide in a turn and drifts over the lane, then over corrects too far the other way, and kind of ping pongs trying to find center. I can’t use it anymore.

2) the voice reading the texts is SUPER LOUD and does not respond to me lowering the volume. Cannot use. Is it possible to read the texts on the IC without it reading them?
To change volume when Bluetooth are connected check your phone you notice the volume bar use it for changing volume.

One other thing I noticed with this latest update in my S. Closed the door and walked away from the car and the radio stayed on. I waited for the handles to pull in and then for the headlights to turn off but the radio continued to play. This has never happened before. And it only happened one time since this update.
I had to open the door and close it again to get it to turn off.

The 12v won't work with the MCU removed so that tells me there could be some software involvement with the 12v socket output.

I'm sure the MCU can turn the 12V socket on and off. But they don't change amperage nor do they likely change voltage. Software could "bounce" the power more than Blackvue likes or turn on other equipment at the same time as the outlets and cause a voltage sag that the Blackvue has to handle. The Blackvue should handle all of it, even if Tesla was sloppy. ICE cars are pretty nasty power environments. My guess is, EV's are way more stable than ICE.

If you think you are having issues with "power" you could try adding one these. It's a 12V DC-DC regulator for Valentine radar detectors. They are mainly for ICE cars with Auto Stop that have huge voltage swings during stop / start cycles. There are probably more generic ones on Amazon.

BOB V1 Radar Detector Option | Valentine One | Radar Detectors

Last edited:
I'm sure the MCU can turn the 12V socket on and off. But they don't change amperage nor do they likely change voltage. Software could "bounce" the power more than Blackvue likes or turn on other equipment at the same time as the outlets and cause a voltage sag that the Blackvue has to handle. The Blackvue should handle all of it, even if Tesla was sloppy. ICE cars are pretty nasty power environments. My guess is, EV's are way more stable than ICE.

If you think you are having issues with "power" you could try adding one these. It's a 12V DC-DC regulator for Valentine radar detectors. They are mainly for ICE cars with Auto Stop that have huge voltage swings during stop / start cycles. There are probably more generic ones on Amazon.

BOB V1 Radar Detector Option | Valentine One | Radar Detectors
Software does control the USB port power output, so we do have that date point.

It's that British accent!! :) j/k, I'm from the UK but live in the US, still have my accent, but find the car understands me better than I expected, and certainly as well as Siri (who thinks I say "turn the lights UP" when I say "turn the lights OFF" sigh).
A few years ago I was lost in LA and asked Siri for the route to the I-5 Freeway. No matter how I phrased it, Stupid Siri could not understand. I finally realized I had to ask directions to, say, a city on I-5, not to the freeway itself. My passenger was heartily laughing at my queries, her responses and my cussing.

here's a question for you.......I just picked up my new MS last Thursday....Software version is 2019.35.105........Went to Service center this morning to have them adjust the hood panel and asked them to update to latest software version 2020.4.1. they texted me back and said my vehicle was at the current version.....I asked why my wife’s M3 has 2020.4.1. was told that its a different vehicle....does that make a difference?

then when I question that he said that not all vehicles receive the firmware updates at the same time. and my Model S could be older and another fresh from the factory and the older vehicle might have newer firmware......that’s funny....I told him my car has a Jan 2020 mfg date and I just picked it up last Thursday......no response yet.....

so, should I be getting 2020.4.1?

As a general rule, not all hardware platforms get software at the same times. FW rolls out it batches depending on geography, vehicle configuration, and age.

That said, 2020.4.1 was widely pushed out, so you should be getting it soon. I would recommend changing your software setting to "Advanced" if you want to make sure you're getting releases as soon as they're available.

As a general rule, not all hardware platforms get software at the same times. FW rolls out it batches depending on geography, vehicle configuration, and age.

That said, 2020.4.1 was widely pushed out, so you should be getting it soon. I would recommend changing your software setting to "Advanced" if you want to make sure you're getting releases as soon as they're available.
That is my current setting....I was just wondering why Service Center guys did not know very much and tried to tell me I was not eligible for this release....I think I am and agree with you that I will get it soon....I have very strong Wi-Fi signal at me home so that will not be an issue

That is my current setting....I was just wondering why Service Center guys did not know very much and tried to tell me I was not eligible for this release....I think I am and agree with you that I will get it soon....I have very strong Wi-Fi signal at me home so that will not be an issue
Because they are service centre guys.....

and they don't know very much.

• Funny
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
here's a question for you.......I just picked up my new MS last Thursday....Software version is 2019.35.105........Went to Service center this morning to have them adjust the hood panel and asked them to update to latest software version 2020.4.1. they texted me back and said my vehicle was at the current version.....I asked why my wife’s M3 has 2020.4.1. was told that its a different vehicle....does that make a difference?

then when I question that he said that not all vehicles receive the firmware updates at the same time. and my Model S could be older and another fresh from the factory and the older vehicle might have newer firmware......that’s funny....I told him my car has a Jan 2020 mfg date and I just picked it up last Thursday......no response yet.....

so, should I be getting 2020.4.1?
There are probably twenty different reasons, all of them good, why you don't have the "latest" software. You will receive the update when you receive the update. The *only* time I saw someone not get an update was with a bad MCU and they went over a year without an update. They weren't very techy so they didn't notice until the MCU started exhibiting other problems. That's when service did a swap and he started getting updates again.

There are probably twenty different reasons, all of them good, why you don't have the "latest" software. You will receive the update when you receive the update. The *only* time I saw someone not get an update was with a bad MCU and they went over a year without an update. They weren't very techy so they didn't notice until the MCU started exhibiting other problems. That's when service did a swap and he started getting updates again.
ok.....just hoping I would get updates like my M3 got.....within 1 day of delivery.......its been 5 days now for the MS and I have service center people telling me my car doe not get that firmware update....

ok.....just hoping I would get updates like my M3 got.....within 1 day of delivery.......its been 5 days now for the MS and I have service center people telling me my car doe not get that firmware update....
You could have some unique combo or feature that either delays or skips your particular trim. Hell, it could even be the color of your car. Welcome to Tesla updates.

A close friend of mine (MS owner) called me yesterday asking me if my owners manual was accessible. I was finally able to check on mine and found that I could drill down through the tabs but there is no content in any of them. This question my have surfaced here before but I may have missed it. Has anyone else seen this ,and if so, how did you fix it or is this a “wait for the next FW fix” item. I have rebooted but still have nothing.

So I just updated my old 2013 Model S 60 with 2020.4.1.

One huge change from the prior release that I am seeing is that I finally have my battery heater on again. The last update broke the functionality of the battery heater. It wouldn't turn on when you pre-heated the cabin. The only way to preheat the battery was to use the new scheduled departure function in the car, which I don't mind the scheduled departure feature but isn't as useful as the standard manually triggered preheat. Anyway, I have tested it both on shore power and unplugged, the battery heater functionality has been restored.

Also, it seems they actually improved the functionality. Now, when I preheat the car, if I leave it on long enough I actually get full regen right out of the gate. They must have set the max temperature the battery heater is allowed to heat to higher temp. I give this a thumbs up. Any more energy I can jam into this pack, the better.