Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.4.18.1 released - includes Cabin Camera Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 2021.4.18.2 on my 2021 MY with Radar and there is nothing in the notes about Cabin Camera. Tried AP and it still asks to grab the wheel, like every 10 seconds!
Just installed the 4.18.2 update yesterday... driving on AP with no radar is improved. TACC still trying to bring us too close to the car in front, with late braking in some traffic even with the early setting on... the Tesla Vision is just now seeing father ahead... an upgrade from last software version it appears.

Our install update notes did show the cabin cam now as well.

To get around the grab the wheel notice, try to just rest your palm on the top or bottom at 12 or 6 position and the message will almost never appear.

Reactions: Canuck Newbie
Just installed the 4.18.2 update yesterday... driving on AP with no radar is improved. TACC still trying to bring us too close to the car in front, with late braking in some traffic even with the early setting on... the Tesla Vision is just now seeing father ahead... an upgrade from last software version it appears.

Our install update notes did show the cabin cam now as well.

To get around the grab the wheel notice, try to just rest your palm on the top or bottom at 12 or 6 position and the message will almost never appear.
So, with your cabin camera now on, how often do you need to grab the wheel? The camera should be monitoring your face, so you should be able to go longer without being asked for input.

So, with your cabin camera now on, how often do you need to grab the wheel? The camera should be monitoring your face, so you should be able to go longer without being asked for input.

Is that a hopeful / theoretical statement?
Or is it based on how the vehicles actually perform?

(I hadn't yet seen any indication that the addition of camera monitoring affects or reduces the requirement to have a hand on the steering wheel.)

Is that a hopeful / theoretical statement?
Or is it based on how the vehicles actually perform?

(I hadn't yet seen any indication that the addition of camera monitoring affects or reduces the requirement to have a hand on the steering wheel.)
How about both hopeful and theoretical?

Have not noticed any change in the "grab steering wheel" notice occurrence frequency. It almost seem arbitrary as if some inputs are not registered. When forcing the steering wheel further, the AP goes off with TACC still staying on.

What seems new is a lot more traffic / vehicle icons on the display (left side virtual screen), and some occasional car icons showing up behind our MY. The distance has also increased for our virtual view, and the stop lights are back with green and red indicated again.

I'm on 4.18.2 as well and I swear the camera does almost nothing. The only time it ever alerts me is if I tilt my head down and look at my phone. If I turn to the side and look at the passenger or out the window for a while it never alerts me. I don't think the driver monitoring is that effective. It feels like it only recognizes people on phones. Not sure what this feature is accomplishing if that's the case.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311