Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.4 Anything New?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 2020.4.1 a few days ago. The prolonged backup cam black screen bug, which had been gone from my car for about a year, is back. Also noticing the car is less responsive to the first press of the lever to change from park/reverse/drive, but that could be my imagination.

Guessing you're HW2.5. As far as I'm aware this isn't an issue on HW3 (never been an issue for me on HW3). I'm amazed Tesla hasn't addressed the black screen bug in all this time. Bewildering, really.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sealander
It seems like voice commands react differently and more consistently than with 40.50.x. I haven't had to play around with tapping the green icon on the screen to randomly make voice commands work like before.

For those who don't remove their USB drive before an update, it can save you a reboot later.

This version fixes a charging bug. Previously, the car would not “follow” changes to the available charging current made while charging. For example if the car was charging at 20 amps and the EVSE changed from offering 20 amps to 30 amps, the car might or might not increase charging to 30 amps. This was a problem for cars being charged with EVSE that were part of a load sharing group as the available current can change while charging as part of a load group.

This version now properly follows changes to available current while charging.

I know, right? It's like back in the day when people with Polaroids would wave them around to "make them develop faster" - no amount of explaining how it actually works, facts, etc. changes anything they do.
Polaroids are actually liquid inside when they first come out (you can squish it around with a coin for interesting effects) - so people shaking their pictures to make them "develop faster" were actually making them a little blurry while doing absolutely nothing to the speed.

Polaroids are actually liquid inside when they first come out (you can squish it around with a coin for interesting effects) - so people shaking their pictures to make them "develop faster" were actually making them a little blurry while doing absolutely nothing to the speed.

For the reason people waved the polaroids you have to go waaay back in the days. Remember those tubes containing those nasty smelling bars you had to slide over the polaroids right after the picture came out? You had to wave those around a bit to get them to dry faster (and quit stinking). Remember them because in the electronics labs the curve tracers all had Polaroid cameras built into them so those tubes got used a lot for (mostly) harmless lab grenades when filled with a squirt of liquid freeze. Guess people just got used to waving polaroids around after they did away with the need to use that fixative practice.

The cars are actively checking if new firmware is available constantly, active WiFi connection or not.

This may be a quibble about the definition of "constantly," but that's not a word I'd use for when a Tesla checks for software updates. AFAIK, when the car goes to sleep, it stops communicating with Tesla's servers, and so will not check for software updates. My car, when left parked for an extended period (like when I'm on a trip and have parked the car at an airport parking lot), will wake up once every day or two, then go back to sleep. I don't know precisely what it does at these times, but my bet is that one thing it does is to check for updates. I've often noticed update notifications after these short wake-up events, even when the car is parked for a shorter period of time. For instance, if the car goes to sleep at 9:00 PM and wakes up at 2:00 AM, I'll notice an update is available when I wake up that morning. To be sure, updates don't always appear after such events, but I don't recall ever seeing an update notification when the car had not recently been awake. I have no idea if the car checks for updates more frequently when it's awake for other reasons, like when it's being driven, or if it's on some sort of fixed schedule of checking every 48 hours or something.

BTW, I use TeslaFi, which is how I know when my car is awake vs. asleep. Of course, TeslaFi can interfere with a Tesla's sleep schedule, but I have no evidence that TeslaFi is causing the car to wake up in the middle of the night. I therefore believe that these events are intrinsic to the car itself, and probably done to check for updates, check the battery status, upload driving data to Tesla, etc.

electric cars have to balance how much battery they use, while parked and not being driven.

sleep states are key, but some have to be kept in a fast-wakeable state so that the user doesn't feel that the device is 'laggy'. doing a walk-up unlock is one example.

there are maintenance jobs that have to run in cars. you don't want them running while being driven, but you want them to run periodically. so, cars will raise from sleep to non-sleep states to run a job, then go back. this is normal and I don't see this going away, no matter what the brand/vendor or model (now or in the future).

network connectivity is a bit power-hungry, so vendors try to minimize how much time the 'radio' is on. in some countries (china, for example) its a legal requirement that the car sends telemetry to various (much more than one) govt agency, in order to be allowed to keep running. in the US, we have no such rules (yet..) but in china, they certainly do. I would think that the 'wake-up and report' cycle is even more aggressive in china.

tesla, as a corporation, like to keep 'metrics' on things and so, connecting remotely, getting stats and then disconnecting is common behavior, whether we like it or not. (iot is also like that, even more so, in fact).

Likely pairing and unpairing will fix it. Hopefully it does anyway.

Keep in mind. Tesla’s are all software driven.
Software is not flawless, and will always have issues on and off.
Just like every iPhone, PC, or Android phone does from time to time.
To suggest you shouldn’t have to deal with this is somewhat unrealistic.
It happens, and if anyone has zero tolerance for software issues, they should consider sticking with an ICE car to save their sanity.
Not suggesting you’re at that place with this, but it does sound like you have little tolerance for software issues.

or try the non "advanced" updates?

Hmmm. Updated to the latest software last night after work. It charged to the normal 250 miles at 85% as of 8am this morning. 3.5 hours later it’s down to 243. Haven’t checked the app til now, no sentry, parked in the garage.....

Got 2020.4.1 a few days ago. ...<snip>... Also noticing the car is less responsive to the first press of the lever to change from park/reverse/drive, but that could be my imagination.
I've noticed this several updates ago. It appears to me that the driver profile needs to fully load before gear selection, Drive in my case, is enabled. I've found myself having to press down on the right stalk twice in order to get going sometimes. I keep my mirrors out when parked so the profile is basically moving the seat forward and the steering wheel down (from the Easy Access position). If I press down on the stalk while the seat and wheel are still moving, gear selection is not recognized.

I was sitting in park and the left hand side of the screen kept cycling through various icons. Most notably it kept telling me that auto steer wasn’t available. Taking my seatbelt off either fixed the issue or the bug coincidentally fixed itself.

That seems to be new.