Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any changes to battery preheat on your car?
I noticed the battery heater icon in my app for the forst time in a long time. It's 44deg here so glad to see it. I'll watch for better regen on the way to work.

Attachments

• 20200129_063206.jpg
    20200129_063206.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Informative
Reactions: VikH and outdoors
You may already know this, but a software update likely won't improve it for you if the issue is a poor cellular connection at the time and area where you are using the voice command. Have you looked at the cellular signal strength in the car when you are having that issue?

Thanks. I really didn't expect software to correct this, but was hoping anyways. My Tesla hands off system is considerably worse than any other car I've had in the past. Yes, the poor connection to voice commands is somewhat related to the cellular connection strength, but not always. What is considered weak ? Two bars ? I've noticed that my Verizon iPhone always has a better connection than my Tesla does for some reason.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Thanks. I really didn't expect software to correct this, but was hoping anyways. My Tesla hands off system is considerably worse than any other car I've had in the past. Yes, the poor connection to voice commands is somewhat related to the cellular connection strength, but not always. What is considered weak ? Two bars ? I've noticed that my Verizon iPhone always has a better connection than my Tesla does for some reason.

Tesla uses AT&T for its connection. So if AT&T has poor service in your area, you’re going to have issues. Another note on this is: make sure you’re disconnected from Wifi when you try to use voice commands. I’ve found it’ll stay connected to WiFi even when driving away, but won’t be able to actually do anything with it.

I suspect your issues are at least almost entirely due to connection issues. I’ve found Tesla’s system to be, by far, the best car hands-free system I’ve ever seen/used. It doesn’t match the utility of Google Home/Alexa but, even with those, I’ve found Tesla’s recognition engine to be (shockingly) superior, within the bounds of the commands it can do.​

Yes, the poor connection to voice commands is somewhat related to the cellular connection strength, but not always. What is considered weak ? Two bars ? I've noticed that my Verizon iPhone always has a better connection than my Tesla does for some reason.

I expect there are various opinions about this.... as usual :) In my car, I notice sluggish updates when there is about 1-2 bars when I am in the middle of nowhere. And yes, I would agree that most mobile phones seem to have better reception than the Tesla even when on the same network. I am not sure why, since that is not my area of knowledge on the car. Perhaps has something to do with being embedded in the mirrors, even though they seem to be plastic. Someone out there will have a thought about it ;)

Tesla uses AT&T for its connection. So if AT&T has poor service in your area, you’re going to have issues. Another note on this is: make sure you’re disconnected from Wifi when you try to use voice commands. I’ve found it’ll stay connected to WiFi even when driving away, but won’t be able to actually do anything with it.

I suspect your issues are at least almost entirely due to connection issues. I’ve found Tesla’s system to be, by far, the best car hands-free system I’ve ever seen/used. It doesn’t match the utility of Google Home/Alexa but, even with those, I’ve found Tesla’s recognition engine to be (shockingly) superior, within the bounds of the commands it can do.​
I just tried voice with the new 2020.4.1 and in my case (see signature) it is a step back.
I was like you blown away by the recognition efficiency of the previous version. Sure command were limited but whatever you added behind, it would understand.

Hopefully they improve soon.
This is getting tiresome, even for a fan like me, to have to cope with new feature that are half cooked. And it’s not helping if the previous feature was doing well.