Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not exactly the same actually!

Previously, the speed limit sign detection was for 'local roads', meaning it was disabled on highways. Very obvious here in the UK where highways have variable speed limits and sometimes towards the ends of them a very large and obvious speed limit sign which the car would ignore.

Now that they have a bit more confidence in its ability to detect signs accurately and not accidentally see a 30mph sign when going 70mph, I guess they see it as a good time to enable it for highway usage too. :)
Good point, yes. Don't see variable speed limits much in the states and the existing limits rarely change. The few I have seen are on toll express lanes and even they don't really change much - besides the fact that people seem to ignore them around here anyway!

I can definitely see how that would be a big deal where you are, though.

Good point, yes. Don't see variable speed limits much in the states and the existing limits rarely change. The few I have seen are on toll express lanes and even they don't really change much - besides the fact that people seem to ignore them around here anyway!

I can definitely see how that would be a big deal where you are, though.

I wish we had that so much.

In mainland Europe a lot of countries have the speed limit change between 70 and 80 mph say for corners in the road or sometimes hills. They also have speed limit signs that only apply to certain vehicles and ones that only apply when it's raining, to confuse things more.

In the UK you can go over a say 10 mile stretch and have the speed limit change a good 5 or 6 times between 70, 60, 50, and even 40. It's a real mess. They're called 'Smart motorways' and there's gantries above the lanes that show what speed limit the lane is and if that lane is open. It's a total mess but we have to follow it because average speed check cameras are usually on the back of them... :)

These are the signs I hope Autopilot will be able to follow in 2020.40, though, some older gantries don't follow the same and style don't have the red circle around the speed. It'll be interesting to see what works on this update!

Smart-motorways-front-cover-picture.jpg

In your picture it shows 'Vent Windows' as a new feature, was this not possible before? Or maybe it means you can fully open the windows instead of just opening them slightly from the app?

Unsure. The release notes say "all your windows". So maybe it allows you to vent all windows all the way down. I have version 3.10 of the app and it let's me vent the windows from the app.

• Helpful
Reactions: Teefal
Unsure. The release notes say "all your windows". So maybe it allows you to vent all windows all the way down. I have version 3.10 of the app and it let's me vent the windows from the app.

Maybe so. I've been able to vent the windows since I got my Model 3 a year ago, that's why it confused me so much. :eek:

It does vent all the windows currently, but it just opens them slightly and I use the same function to close them again. Hoping we can open them further, that'd be great, the little bit it opens them by usually isn't very effective at actually 'venting' the car!

It could also be a model-specific release note. That photo looks like it's from a vertical display - Model S couldn't do that before, so maybe it can now. Another photo that was clearly a Model 3 release note photo did not have that one - only speed sign, bluetooth, and glovebox.

EjMLDkZWAAUd21E

Source

Looks like they're removing the requirement to confirm a green traffic light when going through an intersection with a straight path as long as the vehicle was not fully stopped.

And according to GreenTheOnly, 2020.40.x will also enable the charge port inlet heating elements as long as the vehicle had the new revision charge port hardware to support it. Just in time for winter :)
Your car can now use the charge port inlet heater to help defrost the inside of the charge port. The charge port inlet heater can be activated in cold ambient temperatures by enabling preconditioning using the mobile app, activating the rear defrost button on the vehicle's touchscreen, or preconditioning the vehicle using scheduled departure.

According to GreenTheOnly it looks like Tesla is also adding additional security measures as well:
Green has turned into an interesting character over the past few months.

In that same thread... talking about MCU1 getting upgraded security he goes on to say this.
upload_2020-10-1_9-17-55.png

1. HW3 refers to Autopilot computer - MCU has nothing to do with HW3 (unless you want to talk about visualizations for Autopilot)
  2. If you are not on MCU1 what hardware upgrade can you get? There is only the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade. (maybe he means FW - firmware - rather than HW)
  3. And lastly -- the "rumors" and "deeply compromised" -- without any actual substance to back it up.
@verygreen do better, your bias is showing.

Note: the thread starts out how Tesla is improving security - even on old MCU1 architecture.

HW3 refers to Autopilot computer - MCU has nothing to do with HW3 (unless you want to talk about visualizations for Autopilot)
it's a different hw platform from mcu1, mcu2/model3 and from nvidia tegraX on ape. It's also the most secure of them all.

you may not know it but I had root on all systems in my car. Currently I don't have root on the hw3-based autopilot nodes.

If you are not on MCU1 what hardware upgrade can you get? There is only the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade. (maybe he means FW - firmware - rather than HW)
I imagine you realize there are future developments (not saying tomorrow). I just got mcu2 half a year ago so I am not really planning to upgrade hardware right now, but when I am there's a chance there'd be another platform change for infotainment.

And lastly -- the "rumors" and "deeply compromised" -- without any actual substance to back it up.
rumors are rumors. I don't want to give them credence because I cannot confirm them independently.

Deeply compromised is proven. MCU1 runs on tegra3 that has a hardware bug (fusee gelee) that allows you to bypass secure boot. There's no recovery from that.
Intel Atoms in MCU2/model3 have a similar bypass in hardware. INTEL-SA-00086

I imagine you realize there are future developments (not saying tomorrow).
Right, how long was MCU1 out before an MCU2 replacement became available as an option?
rumors are rumors. I don't want to give them credence because I cannot confirm them independently.
You are giving them credence by emphatically stating "there all sorts of worrying rumors circulating"
Deeply compromised is proven. MCU1 runs on tegra3 that has a hardware bug (fusee gelee) that allows you to bypass secure boot. There's no recovery from that.
Right, and in order to exploit that you have to tear open the car.

the point is you no longer "report what you see" you sprinkle sensation here, dash of hyperbole there, and a decent amount of innuendo.

upload_2020-10-1_13-14-36.png

Right, how long was MCU1 out before an MCU2 replacement became available as an option?
how fast was hw2.5 available after hw2.0? Or hw3 after hw2.5? You know that hw3 started development in 2015, BEFORE hw2.0 was in any customer cars, right?

You are giving them credence by emphatically stating "there all sorts of worrying rumors circulating"
you don't even know which ones I refer to ;) That's the opposite of credence.

Right, and in order to exploit that you have to tear open the car.
Yes. And? Is the car a sealed piece that could not be opened? If I a person wants to root the car and they have to do some disassembling first - it's totally doable. Many do it. All sorts of people that repair cars also do it. The question was in context of people retaining root access to their cars, not some drive by wild hackers owning peoples cars. It's twitter, you need to read context.

the point is you no longer "report what you see" you sprinkle sensation here, dash of hyperbole there, and a decent amount of innuendo.
I report what I see (the security-related changes in the original tweet as an example). People ask follow on questions, I reply with what I think is relevant.

I report what I see (the security-related changes in the original tweet as an example). People ask follow on questions, I reply with what I think is relevant.
Actually I am impressed with how you maintain composure and give decent replies to what I consider to be snotty remarks by a select few people whom might not like the fact that you know more about this stuff than 98% of everyone else on here... likely me included.

I haven't gotten an update in over a month. Also I’m not seeing many cars with this release on teslafi yet.
Sometimes car just get skipped and don't get each update. If you miss a few major updates then I might put in a request but if it's just one then I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's typical for there to be a few cars that get it, then very little, and then a huge rollout of a minor bug fix revision shortly after.

Reactions: RNHurt