Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that the new software does read the speed signs better, but i was going down a hill and the speed limit was 55 MPH. the Tesla read the Truck speed limit sign as 35. So the speed limit was set at 35 until the bottom of the hill.

Same here in South TX. Highway/Freeway Speed Limit sign detection of all speeds I’ve encountered work fine. However on County Roads or Farm Roads 2020.40.3 still ignores 65MPH or higher. Same road but 60MPH or lower it displays like normal. Yes I do realize the release notes say local roads and highways, so waiting for it to say all roads I guess.
I’m also in South Texas! Howdy neighbor.

it’s particularly troubling for me, 50% of my 50mile daily commute is on small rural highways. And the speed limit is less accurate than ever. First world problems I suppose.

For initial drives with 2020.40.3, reading of speed limit signs in Europe (Ireland) with Speed Assist seems no better than 2020.36.11. It still gets it wrong a lot of the time 80 kph as 30kph (and can brake hard to bring your speed down ... dangerous!) and will pick up signs on roads parallel to the driven road by mistake. Also doesn't read a lot of smaller signs, louvred signs, monochromatic signs where the red circle is just black and road work temporarily speed limit signs.

Reactions: mrjam1e
As of 2020.40, the software update screen now shows your download speed:

Ej_I7vkWoAAqKlQ

On a road trip right now with 2020.4.3 (2018 LRM3), several phantom braking events. Really annoying. Also, I really like the speed limit recognition on the highway except when it reads a 75mph sign as 35 and then limits the cruise control on AP at 40. First world problems.
BTW, seems to only have a problem with 75mph signs. Seems to only recognize that they're there about half of the time. And, even when it sees them, it's wrong about 1/3 of the time. Haven't noticed much of a problem with other speeds. Strange.

Used autopilot for like 2h today. Seems improved since 36.x, phantom breaking is still a thing, but it seems that deceleration at least is less sharp.

Went on a 90-mile drive with 202.40.3 and had 2 phantom braking incidents. One was pretty severe and gave me a good scare. I didn't run into these much in the past. Drove about 500 miles the previous weeks on 36.11 and don't recall any phantom braking incidents.

Also had 2 times I was in an exit only lane on the highway and Navigate on AP would not get out of the lane and had to take over.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Has anyone noticed any odd charging behavior on the 2020.40.3 update? We got it on the Y, 3 and S last week. I noticed that on the S, the car is now charging for abour 5 minutes every two hours to top off. Previously, it would go a day or two between topping off the battery.

This is on a 2017 S100D which is still on the original 12V battery.

Guess I'll try a reboot to see if that fixes it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201012-112942_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20201012-112942_Tesla.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 100
Has anyone noticed any odd charging behavior on the 2020.40.3 update? We got it on the Y, 3 and S last week. I noticed that on the S, the car is now charging for abour 5 minutes every two hours to top off. Previously, it would go a day or two between topping off the battery.

This is on a 2017 S100D which is still on the original 12V battery.

Guess I'll try a reboot to see if that fixes it.
If so.....I am a-okay with this new behavior

So updated from 2020.40.3 to 2020.40.4 yesterday and got back to my car to a bunch of sentry mode events. There was nothing around my car in any of the videos but the lights would flash and everything. Not sure if it’s a bug or not. Nothing different about the environment the car was in compared to normal. I rebooted and will see if that helps.

I have noticed that in the last few releases (including this one) that what I might have attributed to 'phantom braking' are now generally more closely tied to observable explanations. I don't know whether this is because of an actual behavioral change in the car or just because I've been more keenly looking out for "wait, why?", but I have observed the following unghostly possible causes for 'pantom braking':

- Vehicle ahead putting a wheel over the lane line
- Pedestrian near the roadway or moving toward it
- Bicyclists, both in cross-traffic or in the shoulder
- Crosstraffic vehicle ahead (e. g. from a driveway or interection) nosing toward but not quite into the lane
- A comically stereotypical aluminium trash-can-lid rolling across the road on its rim

In the case of the pedestrians, in one occurence one person waling alongside the road gave a light push to another, toward the road (not in a 'shoving them into traffic' way, more an 'oh, you' conversational way); my car decelarated as the person took a compensatory half-step onto the curb to regain eir balance. I was grateful for this as it gave me time to consciously decide whether to swerve away or brake even more.

My car will always phantom break when the road is curving right and if a truck is on the opposite side also right at the curve.