Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don’t own a Model 3 or a Model Y, you won’t see the see the charge port heater.
If their release notes mentioned it, they have it. My release notes didn't mention it but my 3 is too old to have it.

Installed 2020.40.3 today. The release notes mention activating the charge port heater, via preconditioning via the app. I do not see that in my app. What am I missing?
You won't specifically see "charge port heater" in the app. As the release notes say it will be enabled by "enabling precondition using the mobile app, activating the rear defrost button on the vehicle's touchscreen, or preconditioning the vehicle using scheduled departure". So it will basically take care of itself if you turn on preconditioning in cold weather, or if you turn on the rear defrost. Hope this helps!

Also downloading it now.

I’m stoked to see how it does. Since the last update (36.X) I have a section of 75mph hwy that the car believes is 25mph some days....yet some people say it’s not an issue...I say those people are...well I’ll be nice.
Anyway. Super hopeful this fixes that activity as it’s “special” on the days it decides to slam on the brakes.

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
How long is this one taking as it has probably been 45 mins and my car ('17 X MCU2 and FSD upgrade) won't respond to app or by physically touching the handle. A little nervous as we are traveling home from a vacation and I had the car connected to wifi for quick map planning in the mornings ... got the download notification and saw from TeslaFI that it has been mass / widespread OTA for a couple days now ... ie. reason for my confidence in installing.

How long is this one taking as it has probably been 45 mins and my car ('17 X MCU2 and FSD upgrade) won't respond to app or by physically touching the handle. A little nervous as we are traveling home from a vacation and I had the car connected to wifi for quick map planning in the mornings ... got the download notification and saw from TeslaFI that it has been mass / widespread OTA for a couple days now ... ie. reason for my confidence in installing.
I've talk to roadside a couple of times. The second time they passed me to a more knowledgeable tech person who also talked to his 'back office' tech team. They said this install is bigger and they've seen it take up to 4 hours. Crossing my fingers that when I wake it is updated.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Unlike M3 in 2018 MS like mine I never had the option to open glovebox with a PIN, not that I needed one. So, opening glovebox is new for me. But I observed I could not close. Likewise, the vent is again new for my MS, I can open but not close.

I believe the M3 glove box, much like most glove boxes, is held closed by a latch, not a lever. There is no existing mechanism that would allow it to be closed via command. To do so would probably require a some sort of modification, similar to the frunk and trunk lifts that have emerged.

I drove a couple of hundred miles yesterday ( MS R FSD) on 2020.4.1.

I hadn't driven much prior to that although I had convinced myself that some AP behaviour had improved in that release.

After yesterday's drive, I was left feeling that as more city-driving situations are (attempted) being handled by TACC / AP, the level of human driver input is becoming far more complex.

Some of the issues likely existed already (relating to use of TACC while intentionally or otherwise overridden by driver input). Others (behaviour at traffic lights especially with multiple consecutive sets of lights) and in heavy traffic) are very difficult to pinpoint, because so many factors can effect the car in rapid succession.

For example, with 40.1 with TACC engaged, if I had just gone through one set of lights with my foot on the accelerator to acknowledge the green, and immediately came on to a second set of lights (pedestrian crossing) not only did the car not slow or chime, but would have taken me through on red too.

In queuing traffic it became even more complicated when traffic edges forwards, then stops. I found that the car gave me a green marker line across the roadway indicating that I had acknowledged the green light, even though I had stationary cars between me and the lights.

Also, the visualisation would often show lights flickering between red and green even though they were actually steady green. The green 'proceed' line stayed green regardless.

The interaction between TACC, map data, speed signs and driver override settings is also complex. At least it might follow a simple enough algorithm, but trying to track what your current speed is being controlled by is not easy.

Consider entering a section of national limit (60mph) road with speed manually set at 50 (which is often required). I then entered roadworks where a huge variety of speed sign formats adjust the limit between 30 and 40 mph. Roadworks end say 300 yrds ahead of 30mph standard limit, but no new limit posted. At some point the TACC speed has stuck at 30mph so carry on at 30mph. And so on.... It becomes very unclear if TACC what speed limit TACC will set as signs indicate higher limit.

On the freeway (UK M1 Sheffield to Leeds section) I had speed limit adjust once coincidental with overhead gantry illuminated sign, but other limits were not consistently handled. Once or twice the vehicle speed reduced without any signage or indication on the display.

I have often had heavy braking when coming up along side trucks. Yesterday on the motorway I was driving just faster than the truck in the slower lane to my left. (UK) my car slowed itself down gradually and sat a couple of yards behind the back of the truck but would not pass it. Not a wide truck or anything unusual.

Also on the M1, AP seemed to be disabled following different pattern than previously. In the past, visibility could be quite bad before a warning would pop up about AP being limited or unavaible. Yesterday with pretty good visibility I had a big 'Auto steer aborting, take control immediately' flash up out of nowhere. There was a bit of intermittent road spray but not when the message popped up. I had the wipers on auto and generally they were keeping the screen clear, but randomly they seemed to keep letting spray build up without bothering to wipe. Specifically, the wipers had not attempted to clear the small amount of mist from the screen prior to the auto steer abort which I thought was odd.

I had several periods with no visualisations and no warning messages about camera or visibility restrictions.

Over all I get the feeling that changes in behaviour with no detailed release notes or change logs are becoming more invasive into driving and make it difficult to recognise causes and effects with so many variables.

IMG_20201008_084009.jpg

Reactions: Macksun77
If their release notes mentioned it, they have it. My release notes didn't mention it but my 3 is too old to have it.

You won't specifically see "charge port heater" in the app. As the release notes say it will be enabled by "enabling precondition using the mobile app, activating the rear defrost button on the vehicle's touchscreen, or preconditioning the vehicle using scheduled departure". So it will basically take care of itself if you turn on preconditioning in cold weather, or if you turn on the rear defrost. Hope this helps!

Thank you. I only associated preconditioning with Super Charging, so I went looking and I found this. Guess I need to bone up on my winter driving in a Tesla.

Use Scheduled Departure or Precondition Before You Drive
If your Tesla is plugged in, you can conserve energy by warming it up before each trip. Use Scheduled Departure to add when to expect to leave so your car will be warmed and ready to go when you are. You can also preheat your car by activating preconditioning or defrost in the Tesla app.

• For scheduled departure, tap 'Charging' > 'Scheduled Departure' > 'Schedule' > 'Depart At.'
  • To precondition, open the Tesla app and tap 'Climate' > 'Turn On.'
  • In snowy conditions, use the defrost feature in your Tesla app.

• Informative
Reactions: Puma2020