Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.48.30 Firmware curse - now AP and pillar cams gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was originally looking forward to the new firmware but ever since I loaded 2020.48.30 I have had a few gremlins a) Parking Brake warning error while on highway b) phantom drain increase c) most troubling my AP went out tonight (FSD upgrade with MCU2 and AP3 computer).

Wondering if anybody has had AP issues like this?

- Errors thrown on dash
- Did Camera recalibrate but errors came back
- Cameras clean with no sign of condensation
- reset multiple times
- Looking at dashcam footage and parking camera - pillar cams are no longer showing up - first right one dropped and now left?
- cruise control doesn’t even work and no visualizations of lanes gone
- I had AP3 and MCU2 upgrades done at SC couple weeks ago

could a harness be lose from recent upgrade of computer? odd both pillar cameras would be off ..

Or is this glitchy firmware?

0FBAECEC-2381-4ACA-9B1E-4597CF698D79.jpeg
8C0CBB00-7780-4B57-8BAF-49E24F6212E6.jpeg
962224BF-D1EA-4DFE-BE37-E0C9A3E9D7C6.jpeg
4F217DB1-EEA7-4574-A608-00511E5F5002.jpeg

Was originally looking forward to the new firmware but ever since I loaded 2020.48.30 I have had a few gremlins a) Parking Brake warning error while on highway b) phantom drain increase c) most troubling my AP went out tonight (FSD upgrade with MCU2 and AP3 computer).
FYI that my '17 X w/upgraded MCU2 and upgraded FSD computer (aka HW3 | AP3) is working normal on 2020.48.30

Just checked my dashcam viewer and saw one from today that looked OK. It was triggered when I pulled up to our house and the garage opened. I don't know what in that scenario but my point was all 4 view points were OK. Aside the depart scheduling feature interface was not working but after 2020.48.30 it matches YT videos and worked last night (set to leave by 5am).

Hi @tommytuna,

To save the hassle of pulling the battery, try another easier deep reset:
On the Service Menu - Select change wheel size - Change the wheel size to anything.
The car will reboot...
Back on the Service menu - Select change wheel size- Change wheel size to correct size.
The car will reboot...

Check to see if things are better.

Good luck,

Shawn

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Quick update - so did the above reboot and also removed 12v battery connection which also did a reboot.

I was mistaken - both fender cams are out not the pillar cams. So car is stuck calibrating cameras at 0% progress and the fender cameras won't show up in the dashcam or parking views.

Thought maybe one camera was bad but for both to go out now seems odd? only thing my wife and i can think of is she went through touchless car wash day before but this is something we've done many times without issue. Firmware bug? or two bad cameras at the same time?

Firmware bug. The cameras seem to be much more sensitive to rain and sunlight since the last release. It may take a few releases to get better.

I've found that FSD usually works during these error messages. Sometimes lanes changes are disabled so I have to actually steer make a lane change.

Last edited:
re: Firmware i suspect that too but i am getting zero camera feed off the fender cams - just spinning wheel of death. if it was being blinded, wouldn't i atleast get a feed of sorts?

Could touchless car wash have caused this as well? initially suspected car wash when one went off but now that two are off it seems too coincidental to have two cameras fail within an hour.

Frustrated as i tried everything (other then removing cameras) over last 24 hours - sleep, 12v reset, hard resets, calibration etc and they won't come back. Thought a hard reset/reboot would have reset the computers and reloaded camera drivers but clearly this is more tricky.

Hi @tommytuna,

I hate to ask the question (it happened to me)
Is there any chance that rodents might have chewed through your harnesses?
They did much damage to my car...
The damage was not visible removing the frunk tub...
They had to drop the aero shield under the front of the car.
It's the large plastic piece that covers the A/C radiator and most
of the front 1/3 of the car.

Another possibility is that some touch-less washes use some very
aggressive acid or caustic chemicals to clean the car...
These can quickly corrode electrical connections if the chemicals can
penetrate the seals and get to the connections.

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi @tommytuna,

I hate to ask the question (it happened to me)
Is there any chance that rodents might have chewed through your harnesses?
They did much damage to my car...
The damage was not visible removing the frunk tub...
They had to drop the aero shield under the front of the car.
It's the large plastic piece that covers the A/C radiator and most
of the front 1/3 of the car.

Another possibility is that some touch-less washes use some very
aggressive acid or caustic chemicals to clean the car...
These can quickly corrode electrical connections if the chemicals can
penetrate the seals and get to the connections.

Good luck,

Shawn

Great question - anything is possible! Not sure I am DIY brave enough to check for rodent damage so may need to wait for mobile sc visit. That said, do both cameras connect to same harness under front of car or do they have have separate wires going directly into the computer? Given both cameras gave out within an hour or two of each other..struggling to find any details on the wiring

Last edited:
Just went out to the garage where my MX has been parked since Friday. Key fob is in the house. I heard a fan running and checked, and the climate control was running keeping the interior to a nice 71 degrees. It was 50 degrees in the garage. Lost 5% since Friday evening. As someone else suggested I had booked a service call through the app. I was also experiencing the lights coming on 15-20 minutes after leaving the car for a while. This is all since upgrading to 2020.48.30. I haven't tried doing a reboot. I did turn off the climate control so don't expect it to come back on.

Recently got the 48.30 patch. This is the first non-trivial drive since the update. The cruise-control is behaving weirdly.

- no one else around, but multiple times it's acted like it detected something and dumped the speed
- twice when that happened it dropped the target speed from 65->55

unhappy.

Just went out to the garage where my MX has been parked since Friday. Key fob is in the house. I heard a fan running and checked, and the climate control was running keeping the interior to a nice 71 degrees. It was 50 degrees in the garage. Lost 5% since Friday evening. As someone else suggested I had booked a service call through the app. I was also experiencing the lights coming on 15-20 minutes after leaving the car for a while. This is all since upgrading to 2020.48.30. I haven't tried doing a reboot. I did turn off the climate control so don't expect it to come back on.

I had Tesla remotely "refresh" the update, and installed it. That was Wednesday. Since then had a couple of drives and no more gremlins. I haven't heard fans or lights, although vampire drain is significantly up. It used to be less than 1% a day. I have lost 5% in the last 36 hours and it is 70 degrees in the garage.