Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the large fonts, but there is still too much info on the IC screen that I can't remove, IMO. I would like Tesla to offer an option to put the driving visualizations onto the center screen when needed, like the camera display, or allow use of the full IC display for the visualizations and leave the nav info on the center display only as an option as well - either way, a method to customize the display so the driver can choose the info that is most important for him/her to utilize for the drive....I really don't need full-screen maps 99% of the time on the center display, or music / power usage / etc. info IC screen all the time, and the Nav info is put up on the IC display anyway - so why not make the visualizations large enough to be useful, and have them on the center display a la Model 3/Y ?

I'm fine with options as long as they are easy to do and don't change every 5 days with a new update. People who like to play will be fine, but others like my wife will get frustrated by needing to learn how to operate the car every 5 days after a new update. Moving stuff around and changing fonts, IMO is a waste of time and often confusing. How about Tesla programmers focus on stuff that makes the car better rather than just different.

I like that they restored most of the sizes, but I keep having to hunt for P R N D (moved and smaller).
I'm extra careful with that in this car because it does not always change immediately on the first click for D or R, especially when it's cold out.

I think the whole P R N D is WAY to Critical to tuck it away like that. In fact Think they could flash a big fat 3" P R or D every time you change it.

Otherwise I guarantee there will be "Unintended Acceleration" cases popping up. Stories of driving through garages, etc.

Like the temperature outdoors is just as important as confirming the direction this 500HP 5000lb beast will move when you touch the accelerator.

Everything else felt fairly good.

Last edited:
Reactions: COS Blue
Yeah... mark me as one of those that don't like the larger font. It makes it looks messy and unprofessional, almost like children's toy to me. The smaller font is more sleek and cleaner to me, sure took a tiny getting used to, but looks better overall.

Larger font will certainly please a lot of people, but it really just looks like too much going on for me. Especially since the auto pilot speed, speedometer, and speed limit is aligned one next to each other. It looks a lot.

Of course the point isn't to look sleek and clean...the point is to make critical information viewable to all drivers of the car. The reality is that everyone isn't 25 years old or has 20/20 near distance vision. I have 20/20 vision but, at 50+, also have presbyopia. I can assure you that the smaller font for clock, range/battery level and gear position became unreadable...it was simply too small. The new size is readable. Now if only they would return to the old maps, the gray on white is also almost impossible to read...

I like that they restored most of the sizes, but I keep having to hunt for P R N D (moved and smaller).
I'm extra careful with that in this car because it does not always change immediately on the first click for D or R, especially when it's cold out.

I think the whole P R N D is WAY to Critical to tuck it away like that. In fact Think they could flash a big fat 3" P R or D every time you change it.

Otherwise I guarantee there will be "Unintended Acceleration" cases popping up. Stories of driving through garages, etc.

Like the temperature outdoors is just as important as confirming the direction this 500HP 5000lb beast will move when you touch the accelerator.

Everything else felt fairly good.

Im in agreement. To me, the PRND should at least be swapped with the external temp. Something about looking to the left on the IC vs the right seems secondary.

No I think they went bigger. It really looks kind of silly but I think it has more to do with the actual font being used than the size of it.

After taking out car today, I agree, speed and autopilot indicators do seem larger. Thinner font type than before, possible exaggerating the difference. I don't hate it. Would be fine if the returned to the older (not microscopic) font.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Of course the point isn't to look sleek and clean...the point is to make critical information viewable to all drivers of the car. The reality is that everyone isn't 25 years old or has 20/20 near distance vision. I have 20/20 vision but, at 50+, also have presbyopia. I can assure you that the smaller font for clock, range/battery level and gear position became unreadable...it was simply too small. The new size is readable. Now if only they would return to the old maps, the gray on white is also almost impossible to read...

Many pluses for your post. Of course the objective is to present vital information. I have to say I preferred the original size of the speedo but the one there now is quite acceptable, and the icons are at least readable now.
I would hazard a guess that those who buy a model S are on average on the older side of peak eyesight....

I do agree on the low contrast font: why they do that, also on the manual, is beyond me.

On a more general point, instrumentation in aircraft is primarily focussed on conveying essential information in a way that is rapidly and accurately assimilated by the user, and the design process is governed by this. It does appear that Tesla does things back to front, and the readability isn't the prime consideration. It's about time they understood that throwing 2 1/2 tons of metal around at high speed has greater consequences than programming games on the lovely big screen.

Totally agree. As a pilot myself who has dealt with various kinds of glass and steam gauges, it becomes truly apparent when there is a new product out there where the human factors were not considered in designing the displays or the Human-Machine-Interface...
yep......I have over 3500hrs in A6, A4, OV10, F4 and King Air.....placement of gauges and changing placement are very big deals......especially in a combat mode.....the human factor will and always play an important role in flying.....thats why we flew the same aircraft when we could ....we became familiar with it and its idiosyncrasies so we had no big surprises in flight or engaged....

Reactions: drklain