Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.48.37.2 just released?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@bmah would you mind merging those two threads? (This one with the one mentioned in above post?) thanks.

Merged. Rather than tagging me, a more general approach would be to report a post in one of the threads to be merged. (Admittedly I haven't been keeping up with reports very well lately due to Real Life.)

And I got this software version too...only drove on it once so far and didn't notice anything obviously different.

Bruce.

Just got mine 48.37.2

Honestly haven't been into updates in awhile and looked at nunber and was SO surprised it said 2020!!! Ugh.

Seems I'm not the only one eh?

Can anyone find some rhyme or reason.

June build 2017 MX hw2.0 mcu 1

2020.48.37.2 is downloading to my (MS2015-85D) , says it is 100% downloaded in the app, then nothing. After about 15 min it says to connect to WiFi to download. It has gone through this cycle 4X so far with no attempt to proceed to installing after successful download. Something I saw said it required the latest map version. Is there anyway to force a map download.

I had something similar in early days of my Model 3. It would get to 100% and then just hang for hours on end. After a day of the problem not going away and several car reboots later, I rebooted my wifi access point after which it worked fine the next download cycle.

2020.48.37.2 is downloading to my (MS2015-85D) , says it is 100% downloaded in the app, then nothing. After about 15 min it says to connect to WiFi to download. It has gone through this cycle 4X so far with no attempt to proceed to installing after successful download. Something I saw said it required the latest map version. Is there anyway to force a map download.
It has now been doing this for 5 days. Rebooted cluster, rebooted MCU, powered off car. Used three completely different wifi networks. Anyone have any suggestions for next step? Concerned that this will obstruct future updates.

I have MCU-2 and still got this push for the odd 2020.48.37.2 “update” - not pleased at prospects of what it might do.
Forgot to add - my 2015 Model S has the 85 battery, in terrific condition; still could charge to 258 range miles if necessary, from the original 265 computer-magic rated miles.
Aside from the download-hanging probs, has anyone seen or experienced trouble from that update? I've waited about a week to do it, out of ordinary healthy skepticism about software updates in general.

Heck, a quarter of HW1 cars are running 2021.x. I can't imagine that a quarter of such old cars have gotten an MCU upgrade.
AP1 cars that are upgraded to MCU2 receive the newer 2021.x upgrades. The SC told me the upgrade was quite popular for private buyers who bought their S/X second hand as they intend to drive these cars for several more years (like me). Another factor to weigh in is that users of TeslaFi are more tech savvy and thus more likely to buy that upgrade. In my case I had to upgrade the model to LTE at the end of the year anyway due to 3G being retired, might as well pay the extra € 1020 for a more up to date Infotainment System. Always wished for a car where this would be possible, now I finally could upgrade :)

I also received update 2020.48.37.2 and also lost all my navigation maps. The navigation version is empty. I was able to reboot daily to get navigation back, but after 4 days I got the error that I have to connect to Wifi. Has been connected to Wifi for about 5 days. No update. Visited a Service Center and they say the car needs to come in for a full day to do a new installation. I know another Model S owner on the Netherlands forum that has the same software version and also lost all navigation functions.

The Service Center said there was an issue with the two updates , probably there was the software update that when it was downloaded the navigation update started to download. When I installed the software update it corrupted the navigation update that was downloading (or ready for install I don't know, did not notice there was a maps update downloading).

Since not everyone here with this version has lost navigation this might be a plausible reason.

With 2020.48.37.1, I lost navigation also. The car's location tracking on the map stopped and was I prompted to download new map data over WiFi. However, download speeds at multiple WiFi connections were stuck at 1k/s or less (100-500bytes/s) and map data download never completed or maybe timed out and never started since the download speed was so slow.

After updating 2020.48.37.2, the car location on the map is now tracking again, but navigation still doesn't work because the map data download is still stuck at the same slow downloads or doesn't complete. I figured I'd get the new map data if I ever get a service center appointment for

I also received update 2020.48.37.2 and also lost all my navigation maps. The navigation version is empty. I was able to reboot daily to get navigation back, but after 4 days I got the error that I have to connect to Wifi. Has been connected to Wifi for about 5 days. No update. Visited a Service Center and they say the car needs to come in for a full day to do a new installation. I know another Model S owner on the Netherlands forum that has the same software version and also lost all navigation functions.

The Service Center said there was an issue with the two updates , probably there was the software update that when it was downloaded the navigation update started to download. When I installed the software update it corrupted the navigation update that was downloading (or ready for install I don't know, did not notice there was a maps update downloading).

Since not everyone here with this version has lost navigation this might be a plausible reason.

With 2020.48.37.1, I lost navigation also. The car's location tracking on the map stopped and was I prompted to download new map data over WiFi. However, download speeds at multiple WiFi connections were stuck at 1k/s or less (100-500bytes/s) and map data download never completed or maybe timed out and never started since the download speed was so slow.

After updating 2020.48.37.2, the car location on the map is now tracking again, but navigation still doesn't work because the map data download is still stuck at the same slow downloads or doesn't complete. I figured I'd get the new map data if I ever get a service center appointment for
I’d venture it’s the microSD card issue discussed here: MCU1: Black center screen / mcu failure caused by a faulty navigation MicroSD card

Reactions: AustinP
I kind of doubt it, unfortunately.

Looking at TeslaFi:
  • 0.7% of HW3 users are still on 2020.x according to TeslaFi. Surely more people have gotten the free upgrade than that by now, no?
  • Fewer than 5% of HW2.5 cars are running 2020.x, and MCU1 should be something like a third of those, right?
  • There are HW2 cars running 2021.x, and there's no way 37% of HW2 cars have gotten the premium update, is there?
  • Heck, a quarter of HW1 cars are running 2021.x. I can't imagine that a quarter of such old cars have gotten an MCU upgrade.
I used to assume that I was getting slow upgrades because I wasn't on HW3 yet, but that upgrade made no difference. I don't have a lot of faith in MCU2 making a difference, either. I'm pretty sure my VIN just falls into the "no soup for you" hash bucket. :D

That said, it's possible that a big percentage of folks with HW1/HW2/HW2.5 are getting the upgrade even with MCU1, and that only folks with the old MCU and the new AP computer are getting held back across the board. Maybe they're afraid someone will somehow get into the experimental branch with the FSD beta flags turned on, with an MCU that hasn't been tested at all with those flags enabled, and they're just being extra paranoid. (Or maybe it has been tested, and it doesn't work for whatever reason.)

*shrugs*
Same here. MCU1 with HW3 upgrade. Still stuck on 2020.48.37.2. Went in to service center for another issue and had a big arguing match with the tech as to why I'm stuck with 7 month old firmware. Showed him that less than 1/10 of one percent of HW3 cars are on 2020 firmware, from TeslaFi. Still refused to force an update.
I assumed it must be a config error on my car in the system when they replaced the FSD computer. Looking at this thread, it makes me feel better that it isn't just me.

My guess is that the enhanced visualization data from the HW3 computer overwhelms the MCU1 system that is already creaky as-is.

Last edited:
The first 3 years of my ownership I was getting updates every 2 to 6 weeks, but this changed at the end of 2020.
I have MCU1 and HW3. Upgraded my HW2.5 last year, as I purchased EAP and FSD with my car.

In the last 7 months I have only received 2020.48.37.1 and .2.
I wonder if there is a config or comparability issue with the hardware in my car? I see other people in this thread reporting the same status with MCU1 and HW3.

I understand the MCU1 can struggle with visualization etc, but I expect to continue receiving updates to get the latest Autopilot/FSD software deployed to my car.

The first 3 years of my ownership I was getting updates every 2 to 6 weeks, but this changed at the end of 2020.
I have MCU1 and HW3. Upgraded my HW2.5 last year, as I purchased EAP and FSD with my car.

In the last 7 months I have only received 2020.48.37.1 and .2.
I wonder if there is a config or comparability issue with the hardware in my car? I see other people in this thread reporting the same status with MCU1 and HW3.

I understand the MCU1 can struggle with visualization etc, but I expect to continue receiving updates to get the latest Autopilot/FSD software deployed to my car.

You should be getting 2020.48.37.4 soon, if my car is any indication.

My guess is that the release branches are under a code freeze until the upcoming major release. So cars in their original configuration (ICE/HW3, MCU2/HW3, MCU2/HW2.5, MCU1/HW2.5, MCU1/HW2, MCU1/HW1) will continue getting minor patches under 2021.4.18.x that add various neural nets in shadow mode, cars in modified configurations (MCU1 with HW3) will get similar patches under 2020.48.37.x.