Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.48 lack of sleep and bizarre charging issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Since getting 2020.48.12.1 my MS 85 2014 hasn't slept a wink and also has constant "communication issues" with my home charger. It's set to charge at midnight every night, but it almost always starts and fails constantly for hours and hours on end, before eventually (sometimes after 7 hours of clunking switchgear) starting and carrying on fine. Both issues have come immediately after the software update.
I can't replicate any other time of day, if I plug in and start charging manually it works fine.
It has once caught me out and needed a supercharge where I should have been fine if it had charged properly, but due to lockdown the car is not getting much use.
Anyone else had anything similar?
It may be the charger, but seems a bit coincidental. It also could be the cold, we've had a chilly spell (0c ish) since around the same time, but has never done this before in similar weather.
For now I've just disabled scheduled charging but this is a bit frustrating.
Thanks

Assume you have probably rebooted the car since the update? If not, try that as it is not unusual for the car to have insomnia after a firmware update. The car does reboot itself after updates, but a second manual reboot is often a good idea.

Yes I have. I think it actually is the charger, I noticed it did sleep when not connected, so the charger (rolec Wallpod) might be keeping it awake. I've plugged it into umc instead and will see what happens.

Hi all,
Since getting 2020.48.12.1 my MS 85 2014 hasn't slept a wink and also has constant "communication issues" with my home charger. It's set to charge at midnight every night, but it almost always starts and fails constantly for hours and hours on end, before eventually (sometimes after 7 hours of clunking switchgear) starting and carrying on fine. Both issues have come immediately after the software update.
I can't replicate any other time of day, if I plug in and start charging manually it works fine.
It has once caught me out and needed a supercharge where I should have been fine if it had charged properly, but due to lockdown the car is not getting much use.
Anyone else had anything similar?
It may be the charger, but seems a bit coincidental. It also could be the cold, we've had a chilly spell (0c ish) since around the same time, but has never done this before in similar weather.
For now I've just disabled scheduled charging but this is a bit frustrating.
Thanks

does it constantly flip between charging and suspended state? can you get a log from the charger?

I have had very similar - when attempting to do a timed charge, it sits there continually starting and stopping at about 2sec intervals: the contactor in the chargepoint closes, the app shows the mains voltage, then the contactor opens again (presumably due to the car terminating the charge session) and the cycle repeats until I get woken up by the clunk of the contactor and do something about it.

Stopping the charge with the app stops as expected. However, if I then try to start it again from the app, it goes back to cycling on/off like before and doesn't charge. Going out to the car and unplugging/re-plugging will then allow a charge to be started satisfactorily. The same results seen on several nights in a row. I have inspected the connectors (cable and car chargeport) and both are clean and in good condition; also, I have tested it successfully starting a charge immediately after the car is plugged in, then letting it go to sleep, and (without touching the connector) and it fails upon waking up again. So this argues against any possibility that it's a problem with the connector itself, rather that the unplug/replug resets some software condition, triggered by waking up from sleep to charge.

One further factor: on all the occasions last week when I was suffering from this, each time I successfully got a charge going it was unable to actually charge straight away - you could see in the app that it was running the battery heater, drawing slightly less than the full 32A, and showing 0 mph charging rate; if left to continue it then started actually charging a little later once the battery was warm enough.

Last night however the problem didn't arise: I tried waking it from sleep with the app mid-evening and starting a charge: this worked OK (which it hadn't when I did similar the previous night), and having stopped that manual charge the timed charge overnight worked OK too. One difference here was that it was warmer: air temperature above freezing (and the car had been driven earlier in the day so battery not cold soaked): when I started that manual charge the battery heater was not running.

Only one data point on this so far, but may indicate that the bug requires both a wakeup from sleep and the battery to be below the temperature that prevents immediate charging.

• Informative
Reactions: emmz0r
Further update on the above: got the usual clunk-clunk last night - able to abort charging with the app but not able to get it to start properly, just like before.

This time, instead of going outside to re-plug the connector I used the app to turn on the "climate" (ie. cabin heating). This took a steady draw from the mains power, and I could then turn charging back on without problem. After a few seconds, I could see the battery heater come on, and at that point I turned the climate off again, after which the charge carried on to completion without further trouble.

Hypothesis: for some reason, it now takes the charging logic a little time to actually turn on the battery heater. So it wakes from sleep, activates the charger and so the chargepoint switches on the power, but the battery is too cold to charge so the charge current is zero and it decides there's no point running the charger and deactivates. Once the battery heater is actually running, then it's drawing current and that's enough to keep the charger active.

• Informative
Reactions: Tomilett and emmz0r
Further update on the above: got the usual clunk-clunk last night - able to abort charging with the app but not able to get it to start properly, just like before.

This time, instead of going outside to re-plug the connector I used the app to turn on the "climate" (ie. cabin heating). This took a steady draw from the mains power, and I could then turn charging back on without problem. After a few seconds, I could see the battery heater come on, and at that point I turned the climate off again, after which the charge carried on to completion without further trouble.

Hypothesis: for some reason, it now takes the charging logic a little time to actually turn on the battery heater. So it wakes from sleep, activates the charger and so the chargepoint switches on the power, but the battery is too cold to charge so the charge current is zero and it decides there's no point running the charger and deactivates. Once the battery heater is actually running, then it's drawing current and that's enough to keep the charger active.
Hope you can try to escalate this issue, because it will in time destroy both the onboard charger and the charge point etc.

I have documented this problem, reported it to Tesla Service and after analyzing the log from the car Tesla has confirmed that this is caused by a software related issue in 2020.48.12.1 and will be corrected in a future release.

Reactions: emmz0r

Yes - having replaced the cracked box on the chargepoint and confirmed no evidence of water in any of the equipment and it all worked fine with warmer weather, as soon as it got cold the same issue re-materialised. I suspect you are dead right, and am hopeful of a software fix shortly as this is a bit of a pain to say the least!

it was confirmed to be a software bug by my local SC - due to the cold weather the car was trying to pull too little current (because the battery was cold and unable to take charge) which then caused the charger to switch off, thinking there was no demand for power. The bug meant that the battery heater didn't come on straight away, which would have pulled plenty of current for the charger to be happy and stop the problem. it has since been resolved with 2020.48 software.

it was confirmed to be a software bug by my local SC - due to the cold weather the car was trying to pull too little current (because the battery was cold and unable to take charge) which then caused the charger to switch off, thinking there was no demand for power. The bug meant that the battery heater didn't come on straight away, which would have pulled plenty of current for the charger to be happy and stop the problem. it has since been resolved with 2020.48 software.

Not resolved for me running 2020.48.37.1.