Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"What I want for Christmas is..." to get 'waypoints' !!! Well may be next year.

Note: Is it that difficult, to add 'waypoints'?

Without 'waypoints' the Navigation is not very helpful. Quite often the Navigation selects an itinerary that I don't want to use, such as
- making a detour to reach a freeway entrance while using street roads would be simpler and faster, or
- driving into residential area because it is shorter, but I would prefer using main arteries with less stop signs or traffic light, or
- I try to avoid making a left turn when there is no traffic light with a special lane, or
- there is no way to determine if I will be able to reach my destination without using a Supercharger if I need to make a detour...

Yep. And we need, at a minimum, a toggle that lets you select whether you can charge at your end destination. Or, even better, an option for selecting charge-remaining at destination. The algorithm for routing seems to randomly choose how much battery you have left upon arrival. Sometimes it leaves me 11% sometimes 19%?!?! If I can charge at my end destination I don't mind arriving with as low as 5%. If I can't charge at my destination I may want to overcharge so I have up to 60 upon arrival. The routing guidance might change based on that. The routing options and waypoints are painfully basic (ie non-existant) despite a seemingly advanced algorithm and charging network.

This was the first update that had me searching for how to downgrade.

I have a 2020 SR, no Autopilot, no FSD, and the only thing this update gave me that has a direct impact on my day-to-day use of the car is a shrunken map display (my favorite feature of the screen) and a shrunken speedometer (arguably the single most important piece of information to display in a moving vehicle) replaced by awkward, pixelated 3D renders of my car that look worse than the previous simplified rendering showing all six lanes of the freeway. Hell, all the vehicle indicators moved to the left, except the right turn signal, which now flashes in the middle of the display completely outside my peripheral vision. Just a massive step backward in UI development, minimizing the features that drivers actually need to see.

I have no use for a boombox, and maybe I'm just a grumpy millenial, but I'm actively embarrassed to drive a car that features more than one way to play a fart sound. Really disappointing all around.

Yeah these layout changes suck. I don't need to see a bigger view of my little car model and virtual surroundings. It's a tertiary feature. Knowing what's around me is what my eyes and mirrors are for. Plus it mostly just shows empty space. A full 30% of my screen is now just empty space.

Meanwhile, the map and backup cameras are now smaller, the "gauge cluster" is randomly laid out in a roughly left to right fashion, but not intuitively and with a lot of wasted space. The turn signals are out in the middle of nowhere. The temperature (and more importantly those mirror-image heated seats) are now off-center. The cards view, such as text pop ups, wiper pop ups, tire pressure and trip computer are all the old width still. It's just all jumbled half-baked. It feels like a layout mockup on concept car. Objectively bad UI design.

Last edited:
Just my two cents on this update, nothing that hasn't already been said for the most part. I'll also say I'm 23 so admittedly the small text isn't an issue and I like the idea of Boombox/new games/farts.

1) I miss the old, bigger map. The new car visualization is too big and the rendering looks terribly choppy and blurry both in park and in drive. How did it sneak out the door like that? Is Tesla unable to draw a good looking car?
2) Boombox: If you're going to give up this new Boombox thing I need to be able to adjust the volume outside of the car when playing my own media. That is probably the most useful part of this new feature but yet as soon as I get out of the car it turns off and isn't anywhere near loud enough. So I can entertain my friends while I stay in the car? ok lol. Also, when you change the driving sound it shuts off your music and doesn't let you play it again until you shut the driving sound off. I think it's kinda cool you can add ridiculous sounds, it's funny to see people's reactions, but let me leave my own music on in the car. I don't want to listen to it within the car (although yes, you can turn the volume down). The "ice cream" and "merry go round" sounds are a little creepy to be playing while driving around town if you ask me. Also, if you're going to give me the option to change my horn let me use it while driving (but I imagine there are laws about this.)
3) The speedometer definitely should be the old bigger font but I really like the new position.
4) I miss "hold" and chill" being at the top of the screen.

What I like:
1) I like the gear selection and other warnings/indications being vertical
2) I like the grey scale, it does look sharp
3) I like that it's easier to access wipers (although that comes at the cost of moving other icons away from the driver and we need the option to customize our bottom bar)
4) I like that when navigating and you open a program (say energy) your next set of directions show above the rendering of the car. That is a GREAT feature so you can have your range estimates (or whatever) open and still know whats coming next.
5) The open Supercharging stalls in the map marker is great
6) I do like how the car looks on the screen in park/how the tires move as you steer. Just make it not look like crap.

So at risk of being a crybaby there's a lot to like in this update but also a lot to be desired. You can certainly tell it was a bit rushed and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes in the other half of the update because this was totally over hyped. While I don't think it was a step backwards it was only a half step forward.

Bummed about that boombox limitation. Ideally there should be a setting that turns off all other car functions and allows you to control the music from the Tesla App. This would make an already great tailgate vehicle superb.

Then again we have plenty of time in the Northeast for Tesla to fix given the pandemic and weather.

When I drive into work its still in dark mode and I thought oh a smaller speedometer and bigger car. When it switched to day mode on the drive home it started to irk me a bit. The small speedo is a bit silly since even in the new layout there is plenty of room to make it bigger. Second is the turn signals are in a dumb spot now. Third is the added width really doesn't get you much. Driving is a more vertically oriented thing so Id rather have the larger backup screen than the wider visualization. Finally they never did anything about the audio controls so they still take up too much room. They need to switch the next back section with the source section. We have buttons for next, back and play. We dont have a button to switch sources without a swipe up or losing 25% of the screen.

The temperature (and more importantly those mirror-image heated seats) are now off-center.

The bottom row looks weird yesterday, but I couldn't get what was the issue. But it's this symmetry, you're right.

It's all little things. I notice there's no more margin on the left and right of the media drawer. Looks uglier than before. And that grey battery... it should be green, why grey ? Does it still turn yellow when it's getting low?

Reactions: wasloan
The bottom row looks weird yesterday, but I couldn't get what was the issue. But it's this symmetry, you're right.

It's all little things. I notice there's no more margin on the left and right of the media drawer. Looks uglier than before. And that grey battery... it should be green, why grey ? Does it still turn yellow when it's getting low?
The heated seat symmetry is a huge faux pax and is emblematic of the lack of thought given. They could fix it by moving the app drawer to the right side. You don't really need it while driving as often as the other three closest icons (music, wipers, camera). Or even swap over the music icon to the right since you have to reach to the far right to control music anyway. Or combine the app drawer with the settings menu in a two-stage fashion like the music drawer. There's three ideas off the top of my head as I type this.

So many ways they could have kept that symmetrical alignment. It makes me think of another egomaniacal tech CEO, Steve Jobs, who would have been positively fanatical about keeping the symmetry of those heated seats. Good design is a subtle but important part of what makes the Tesla feel so intuitive, like the car of the future. And yet we get more ways to make fart noises? I'm a 31yr old young professional. I'm a male millennial. I don't care if my car can fart.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having problems getting the info cards to appear reliably? Out of everything that they changed in the update with the layout, this one is bothering me most of all. I can't just swipe the card area left or right to bring up the tripometers or tire pressure info easily anymore. (I like keeping the trip info card up at all times and it goes away every time the wipers are manually used, which is a different annoyance entirely) When I go to put the card back, most of the time it just spins the graphic of the car around to give it an overhead view.

I gave this a few tries today while driving. What worked for me was to swipe as close as possible to, but not touch, the line that separates the visualization window and bottom row. If you swipe farther away from the line, especially when there's no card showing (or the new 'middle' card), the visualization would spin the car instead.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
And that grey battery... it should be green, why grey ? Does it still turn yellow when it's getting low?

Yes, the grey turns to yellow at 20%. I like the grey because it makes me care less about the battery icon, and helps draw attention with the grey~~>yellow shift at lower SoC. (Another way to look at it: ask yourself why was it green before?)

It’s one of the only things I “like” about this update. And I put like in quotes because it’s a very very small improvement, that really doesn’t matter IMHO.

Finally got to see the update today. I know I'm in the minority when I say I liked it. The map area is smaller but I think that's to make room for the FSD visualization. I could get used to it. I had no issue with speed readout either. It's smaller but still very visible. The placement of the icons also seemed a little better with the windshield wipers now being less cumbersome to turn on. The battery meter being gray didn't bother me either. So far so good.

I don't think it was a good idea to make the visualizations bigger at this time since you don't really make use of them. I think the size should be dynamic. Put in a destination without autopilot and the map enlarges. Turn on autopilot and the visualizations expand larger etc. No Autopilot speedometer is bigger, Autopilot speedometer can shrink a little etc.

I had a strange "first-world problem" issue after this update. Tried out the new solitaire game, and after playing the first time (and failing, lol) I returned to the game later only to find it was locked up on my original game, with the timer still counting - couldn't access the pop-up menu for the game, couldn't restart it. If I exit, all other games and features seem fine, but when I restart solitaire, it's still stuck on that first game. I haven't rebooted the system, since everything else works fine, but that's next. Just wondering if I'm the only one...

Finally got to see the update today. I know I'm in the minority when I say I liked it. The map area is smaller but I think that's to make room for the FSD visualization. I could get used to it. I had no issue with speed readout either. It's smaller but still very visible. The placement of the icons also seemed a little better with the windshield wipers now being less cumbersome to turn on. The battery meter being gray didn't bother me either. So far so good.

Except how many people have FSD? And at $10k, how many people will pay for it in the future when we all know it will never work well with the current hardware.

I really like the update. Yes, I'd like a bigger font for the speedometer. Other than that, all good. (And I don't have an external speaker.) What I like:

1. The ability to schedule charging to finish at the time of my choosing. Previously charging finished at 0600 if you used scheduled departure. VERY NICE!

2. Wiper and rear camera control no longer covered by trip odometer. VERY NICE!

3. Far better organization of driver's information. (Speed, autopilot select speed, speed limit.) VERY NICE!

4. Slightly larger fonts on everything but the speedo. VERY NICE!

5. Much better driving visualization. Nice!

6. Nav directions move to the left side if you have an app taking up the right side of the screen. VERY NICE!

What I hope changes:

1. Bigger speedo font needed.

2. The power used/regen bar is too dim now. I'd like it back to the brightness it was, but I do like the new placement.

3. The battery level needs to be green again.

Overall a great update! If you don't like the boom box, don't use it. I mean, duh. I'm glad I don't have an external speaker; I really find the PWS annoying. That said, how awesome is it that Tesla is trying to make it fun? What a great way to make lemonade out of government regulations lemons. I mean, some people actually want the stupid speaker now! Bravo Tesla!

It seems likely that the new driver's visualization is for FSD. If you don't have FSD, it also seems likely you'll get the ability to change the screen layout. I seriously do not get the complaining.
The complaining is due to the truly important information (map, backup camera, speedometer) are now smaller, with the visualization being much larger and mostly empty space most of the time. You mentioned some good changes, like the nav directions not being blocked by other windows, but losing map and camera and speed real estate is too high a price to pay.

This is the first update I wish I didn’t install.