Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.8.1 Raven X and no exFAT TeslaCam :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
Does only Model 3 get exFAT?

Tesla releases new software update with improved regen braking, new Track Mode, and more - Electrek

I have 2020.8.1 and I tried it on both Mac and Windows Single and Dual Partition (for Music and TeslaCam) on two different drives.

All works fine on FAT32.

For the Record, FAT32 is highly likely the reason for random corruption of TeslaCam and the reason why some AutoPilot failures occur due "TeslaCam". One of the first things a Tesla Tech will tell you is pull TeslaCam and Reboot and half the time that fixes "the Problem". FAT32 has very little cross checking when things get partially written etc. My Model 3 ran into it once.

I really want to get rid of FAT32.

Hopefully it's just that Model 3 got it first and the S/X's won't be left out.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Why are you so dead-set on exFAT? The only improvement over the FAT32 filesystem is that it allows for larger files (larger than 4GB).
It is not more resilient as FAT32 as it is still not a journaling filesystem like NTFS, BTRFS or EXT3/EXT4. And it "cross-checks" nothing.

If you think it will save video-files from getting corrupted by yanking out the USB drive without unmounting it first, it will not.
(unmount = press finger on Dashcam icon until it flashes and the red dot goes away, then pull out the drive)

Hi All,

I just installed a 128 GB Roadie...
It is a Raspberry Pi system attached to an internal Micro SD card.
The file system is EXT4.

I am still working through the quirks...

The good news is it keeps over 24 hours of videos.

It connects to an app. in your iPhone or Android.
You may view your film segments on your cellphone.
The films are separated into 4 groups: Sentry, Saved, Recent, and favorites.

I have not received any of the "USB drive too slow" messages since installing it...

It is also capable of being a "mapped drive" through your Wi-Fi
So you may also view the films on your computer with the device in the car.
There is a caveat here: Your car USB ports must be "On."
I accomplish this by activating "Sentry Mode" to review films
and turn off Sentry mode when I a finished reviewing the films.

Roadie for Tesla

I have no commercial relationship with Roadie.
I am a happy user...

Shawn

Why are you so dead-set on exFAT? The only improvement over the FAT32 filesystem is that it allows for larger files (larger than 4GB).
It is not more resilient as FAT32 as it is still not a journaling filesystem like NTFS, BTRFS or EXT3/EXT4. And it "cross-checks" nothing.

If you think it will save video-files from getting corrupted by yanking out the USB drive without unmounting it first, it will not.
(unmount = press finger on Dashcam icon until it flashes and the red dot goes away, then pull out the drive)

It may not have Journaling or be as resilient as NTFS but it is way more than FAT32 on large drives.

There are too many things to list here on what's different between FAT32 and exFAT. So you can just read it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Yes I know all that. I know the specs.
The TS hopes that exFat will offer better protection against corruption due to sudden dismounts of the filesystem. It will not.
In this specific regard, it offers no more protection than FAT32 does.
A journaling filesystem (which exFAT is not) cannot be protected against sudden dismounts either, but because it has a journal, it can fix filesystem corruption in most cases when unmounted "uncleanly". FAT, FAT32 and exFAT cannot. They can break just as hard if one just thoughtlessly rips out the drive.

And even so, when the MCU is writing a video-file and does not have the chance to finish writing it, that particular video-file WILL be corrupt, regardless which filesystem is used. Journaled filesystems (again, which exFAT is not) can fix themselves but cannot magically fix half-written files because the user yanked the drive out without properly un-mounting it first.

If one uses high quality USB Storage, which can endure constantly being written to for hours on end, and can withstand high temperatures which happen because of continues use, those drives will not go kaput. FAT32 or not.
Using cheap drives and hoping that a different filesystem will save your files from being mangled is exactly that: hope

Yes I know all that. I know the specs.
The TS hopes that exFat will offer better protection against corruption due to sudden dismounts of the filesystem. It will not.
In this specific regard, it offers no more protection than FAT32 does.
A journaling filesystem (which exFAT is not) cannot be protected against sudden dismounts either, but because it has a journal, it can fix filesystem corruption in most cases when unmounted "uncleanly". FAT, FAT32 and exFAT cannot. They can break just as hard if one just thoughtlessly rips out the drive.

And even so, when the MCU is writing a video-file and does not have the chance to finish writing it, that particular video-file WILL be corrupt, regardless which filesystem is used. Journaled filesystems (again, which exFAT is not) can fix themselves but cannot magically fix half-written files because the user yanked the drive out without properly un-mounting it first.

If one uses high quality USB Storage, which can endure constantly being written to for hours on end, and can withstand high temperatures which happen because of continues use, those drives will not go kaput. FAT32 or not.
Using cheap drives and hoping that a different filesystem will save your files from being mangled is exactly that: hope

A big part of Journaling is recovery. For this application, that isn't that critical, would be nice, but not critical. But it has some hooks to know if things are bad and can dump them. It also has pre-allocation which can help. It's also more lightweight/faster which can help. Shutdowns can wrap things up quicker. Same argument folks use that faster SSD is more reliable. It won't solve all problems.

I have been using a 512G M2 SSD with a mini USB adapter for about 6 months, works very well, until the 2020.8.1 update. It corrupted the drive in a minor way, but enough that Tesla did not recognise it; so had to repair in the PC, which worked again for a few minutes, and was then subsequently corrupted and taken offline.

My solution (SOLVED? pending disk review - I wish this was available in car! or better, in App) so far was to reformat in ext 4 (linux journaling file system), add the TeslaCam folder, and so far so good - at least the Tesla shows sentry working and the DVR working; I am yet to review the content as I only changed the disk last night.

I use a Mac, and bought Paragon extFS a while ago, and used that to format the disk; any old linux box or VM should be able to do the same.

2018 MX, TeslaCam never worked for me no matter what I did and couldn't be bothered asking SC.

Buy the SanDisk 256GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive - SDCZ430-256G-G46 (Amazon $32.95) which is listed on Page 90 of the MX Owners Manual version 2020.4. It is already formatted correctly. Plug it into a PC. Create New Folder called TeslaCam. Remove. Put into front USB port, either one. The car will automatically recognize it. On the top of the Touch Screen to the right, will be a little picture of a camera. It will have a red dot. Now you are ready. Just go about your business. If you see something you might want to save, when you get a minute, touch the top camera pic. The icon will change as it stores the last 10 minutes permanently to the drive. Then the camera icon will reappear with the red dot again. Should you want to view the video, hold down on the camera icon until it disappears. Now you can safely remove the USB thumb drive. Plug it into a PC, and go into the Saved Videos folder, and double click on the videos until you find what you want. Move all three folders Recent, Saved, Sentry onto your PC to clear room on the USB drive. Plug it back into the car, rinse and repeat.

• Informative
Reactions: lowtek and mswlogo
I have been using a 512G M2 SSD with a mini USB adapter for about 6 months, works very well, until the 2020.8.1 update. It corrupted the drive in a minor way, but enough that Tesla did not recognise it; so had to repair in the PC, which worked again for a few minutes, and was then subsequently corrupted and taken offline.

My solution (SOLVED? pending disk review - I wish this was available in car! or better, in App) so far was to reformat in ext 4 (linux journaling file system), add the TeslaCam folder, and so far so good - at least the Tesla shows sentry working and the DVR working; I am yet to review the content as I only changed the disk last night.

I use a Mac, and bought Paragon extFS a while ago, and used that to format the disk; any old linux box or VM should be able to do the same.

Thanks for this info. I have the Paragon Tools for Partitioning, Recovery etc. on Windows and was able to trying formatting a USB thumb drive (just as a test) and that worked fine. I also run MacOS and I see the extFS software you mentioned which is fine by me. But I split partition my drive for TeslaCam and Music. And all my tools for managing my music library are on Windows. So the whole thing becomes awkward. I could try just TeslaCam on ext4 and leave the Music on FAT32 for now (and buy the Paragon extFS tool). But it seems a little bit overkill. My favorite TeslaCam viewing tool is also on Windows. If the Paragon extFS driver ran on windows I'd probably go for it.

Thanks for this info. I have the Paragon Tools for Partitioning, Recovery etc. on Windows and was able to trying formatting a USB thumb drive (just as a test) and that worked fine. I also run MacOS and I see the extFS software you mentioned which is fine by me. But I split partition my drive for TeslaCam and Music. And all my tools for managing my music library are on Windows. So the whole thing becomes awkward. I could try just TeslaCam on ext4 and leave the Music on FAT32 for now (and buy the Paragon extFS tool). But it seems a little bit overkill. My favorite TeslaCam viewing tool is also on Windows. If the Paragon extFS driver ran on windows I'd probably go for it.

It is available on Windows, in fact I bought the "bundle" so I received MAC and PC licences.

If you want a free option, download VirtualBox, and install your favourite desktop linux on it, then format the drive in extFS.

It is available on Windows, in fact I bought the "bundle" so I received MAC and PC licences.

If you want a free option, download VirtualBox, and install your favourite desktop linux on it, then format the drive in extFS.

Actually I forgot I have a NAS box by QNAP running Linux quietly handling backups that could probably natively do everything.

I’ll check out the bundle too.

I don’t need yet another virtual image to maintain and keep up to date on.

@MNoICE618 My QNAP worked perfect. Formatted Ext4 created Directories and they share perfectly to both Windows and the Mac.

So I can still view TeslaCam/Sentry Videos on Windows and manage my Music on Windows on the Ext4 drives with no virtual machine or special drivers on either platform. The QNAP basically acts as a universal driver (i.e. Samba).

I'm gonna try TeslaCam/Sentry on Ext4 first before switching over the music because the music is fairly time consuming.

@MNoICE618 Looks like Tesla dropped Ext4 in Version 2020.12.5 that has the new TeslaCam Viewer.
Ext4 was working fine on TeslaCam and Music with 2 partitions.

As soon as I did the update, the TeslaCam Icon is Grey with an X. And when you tap it, Save, is Greyed out. Viewer finds no files.
I put in a Fat32 drive and it works fine.

Funny thing is Music still works on Ext4.

I tried ExFat again as well.

My guess is they only implemented their new Video Browser on Fat32. Grrr.

You are hopeless. Using a NAS as a way to access files on a USB stick? Using Paragon? Theatrics and total overkill because all you need on a Windows box is the diskpart command that comes with Windows since ancient times to,wipe the drive, then create 2 partitions (1 for Teslacam, 1 for music) and format them both with Fat32 (there is a command called „format)“. Then create the correct folders and off you go. After that, it takes 2 seconds of your life each time you want to remove the drive from the car because you must unmount (safely remove) it first, just like on a PC.
But noooo you are insisting on using an Abrams tank to shoot a mouse. You are solving problems that don‘t exist...

You are hopeless. Using a NAS as a way to access files on a USB stick? Using Paragon? Theatrics and total overkill because all you need on a Windows box is the diskpart command that comes with Windows since ancient times to,wipe the drive, then create 2 partitions (1 for Teslacam, 1 for music) and format them both with Fat32 (there is a command called „format)“. Then create the correct folders and off you go. After that, it takes 2 seconds of your life each time you want to remove the drive from the car because you must unmount (safely remove) it first, just like on a PC.
But noooo you are insisting on using an Abrams tank to shoot a mouse. You are solving problems that don‘t exist...

Yeah, I understand, computer challenged people think it’s theatrics.

@MNoICE618 Looks like Tesla dropped Ext4 in Version 2020.12.5 that has the new TeslaCam Viewer.

As soon as I did the update, the TeslaCam Icon is Grey with an X. And when you tap it, Save, is Greyed out. Viewer finds no files.

I had the same issue after upgrading to 2020.12.5 except for me I could see a listing and watch videos from old recordings on my ext4 partition from within the new viewer. It just would not save new videos. Also, like you, my music partition (ext4) also worked just fine. It is like the ext4 partitions are only being mounted as read only. I hope Tesla fixes this bug. Ext4 with journaling is way more reliable than FAT32.

Reactions: mswlogo

I can’t believe they dropped ext4, but you’re right, my ext4 stopped working with the new SW release! Did you see this announced somewhere?