Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think if Tesla wanted to, it would not be a problem at all for them to run Carplay in a window similar to the media options (perhaps even resizable).

Thats the point, they DONT want to, and neither does any other car manufacturer, actually. The car manufacturers dont want to give up that real estate to apple. The lower tier ones do it to try to draw in customers, and most of the higher tier ones have caved to consumer demand, but they dont... want ..to.

Tesla does not want to give up that control. Maybe they will at some point, but they absolutely dont want to, and as of right now they have no reason to.

Reactions: tren01t and mswlogo
The car manufacturers dont want to give up that real estate to apple. The lower tier ones do it to try to draw in customers, and most of the higher tier ones have caved to consumer demand, but they dont... want ..to.
I don't see them kicking and screaming. :p At the end of the day only sales count, and obviously there is customer demand. Given the central role smartphones play today in many people's life, it isn't surprising.
Tesla does not want to give up that control.
What control? From their perspective, it could be just another app like Spotify or whatever. I could understand if they wanted to compete with their own app store, but given that most people spend only a small part of their day in the car while they carry their phone all the time, that will never happen.

Reactions: TomB985
So why the need for CarPlay or Android Auto? I had CarPlay, and it's great. But the Tesla system has already integrated Spotify, Netlix, Pandora, YouTube, some games, and soon Disney+. What's left? Waze? We also got texting support.

Elon has already indicated he supports offering full third party developer support. The only thing holding it back is the relatively small fleet of Teslas, not enough to make it worth their while. As we know, that won't be the case much longer.

• Informative
Reactions: Char
Had issues downloading it last night, would start then stop. Got frustrated and went to bed. I did the reboot method mentioned above this morning and that got things moving. But the the download got to 50% then just went away. Checked my router and the car is connected to wifi with a strong signal. So I go out to the garage and check the screen, nothing showing as a download. Checked under software and am still on 2020.4.1 and it says I am up to date? Sounds like it got recalled for my car?

2018 LR AWD Hardware 2.5 with FSD. Haven't got around to the Hardware 3 upgrade yet.

I wish I could roll back, this update has completely ruined playing music off of my USB drive. I get audio dropouts almost every song. It doesn't seem to be dependent on the bit rate of the file, I have FLACs and MP3s that suffer seemingly equally.

So why the need for CarPlay or Android Auto? I had CarPlay, and it's great. But the Tesla system has already integrated Spotify, Netlix, Pandora, YouTube, some games, and soon Disney+. What's left? Waze? We also got texting support.
What I miss the most are the audiobook and podcast apps (TuneIn is missing many popular podcasts). Also, many people prefer Apple Music over Spotify. And yes, Apple Maps (and Google Maps) are superior to Tesla's navigation maps in terms of the POI and mapping data.
Elon has already indicated he supports offering full third party developer support. The only thing holding it back is the relatively small fleet of Teslas, not enough to make it worth their while. As we know, that won't be the case much longer.
I find it hard to imagine that many developers will spend time on car apps for a single brand.

A couple things I noticed, my 100% charge on the app went from 282 to 284. (August 2018 build)

I also got a collision warning with beep and red line for an inside curb while going around curve. This is a tight curve I take daily with collision warning set to late. Autopilot was not on but I have carefully taken it in the past with Autopilot enabled and had no warnings.

So why the need for CarPlay or Android Auto? I had CarPlay, and it's great.

I had the opportunity to use Carplay in a rental Chevy Mailbu (shiver) and it was literally the best part of the car, other than stop/start at traffic lights. It was better done than our Audi's for message integration.

I wish Tesla would implement it or if their 3rd party SDK actual comes to be, that someone would (not holding my breath cause why would anyone).

You don't have to use it if you don't want but honestly it works much better for somethings than the current Tesla UI. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Tesla getting quite the level of integration that Carplay or Android Auto can and that's a shame.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Thats the point, they DONT want to, and neither does any other car manufacturer, actually. The car manufacturers dont want to give up that real estate to apple. The lower tier ones do it to try to draw in customers, and most of the higher tier ones have caved to consumer demand, but they dont... want ..to.

Tesla does not want to give up that control. Maybe they will at some point, but they absolutely dont want to, and as of right now they have no reason to.

Plus they have to pay apple to allow them to incorporate car play into the car.

Had 8.x on my app for download last night. This morning got in car going to a WiFi and the download was not showing on the car and it is now MIA from the app. Connected to WiFi a few hours and even checked but says Up to date.

IMG_3421 (1).jpeg