Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I miss the most are the audiobook and podcast apps (TuneIn is missing many popular podcasts). Also, many people prefer Apple Music over Spotify. And yes, Apple Maps (and Google Maps) are superior to Tesla's navigation maps in terms of the POI and mapping data.
I find it hard to imagine that many developers will spend time on car apps for a single brand.

I agree that apps developed from scratch wouldn't be worth it. As to current apps, e.g. Waze, Downcast etc., it all depends on how robust the SDK will be. I can't imagine it would be a big deal, especially since Netflix etc. was able to do it using only the provided API.

I thought Netflix was just running in the browser... And how would you know if they didn't have Tesla extend the API for them?

What makes you think it's running in the browser? I don't see any outward indication that this is the case. Do you think it's the same for YouTube et. al? And if so, then what's to prevent Google Maps (etc) from disguising a web page as an app?

What makes you think it's running in the browser? I don't see any outward indication that this is the case. Do you think it's the same for YouTube et. al? And if so, then what's to prevent Google Maps (etc) from disguising a web page as an app?

Netflix, YouTube and other video streaming "apps" are just running in the browser in full screen mode. You can easily escape from the YouTube and go to other sites. If you login to the YouTube "app" and later go to Google on the browser, you are logged in to your Google account.

Reactions: MP3Mike
And if so, then what's to prevent Google Maps (etc) from disguising a web page as an app?
Web apps often don't have the same capabilities as a native app. For example, the Google Maps app downloads all map tiles along the route when you're navigating, but the web app can't (which means it'll stop working in areas with bad cellular coverage).

Another common issue is continuity between your phone and the car. If, for example, I'm listening to an audiobook on my phone, I want to be able to continue listening from the same playback position in the car. That requires either synchronization via the cloud, or you continue using the phone as the media source and just "project" the UI on the car's screen like Carplay does.

In any case, no car platform will ever have an app selection anywhere near as rich as the major mobile platforms (unless perhaps if the car adopts one of those like Polestar seems to do with Android). I think this is the main reason why other car manufacturers stopped resisting Carplay/Android Auto a few years ago.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Autopilot works just fine as long as you are in the middle Lane of a 3 lane motorway. Then it doesn't make random turnoffs I found when driving to Scotland. Also when a car slowed right down in front of me I had the wonderful sound of maracas as my breaks were tapping on the discs as it seemed it could not decide if to use regen or the real breaks at one point it was confused and we both kangarooed.

Officially it’s the triangle shaped space between travel lanes and entry/exit however for ease of reference in this case it’s that point where the lane widens to exit which NoAP seems to really struggle with.

I tried it several times today nudging it toward the left side of the lane and it definitely wasn’t as jumpy as usual.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
I just took a 175 mile trip no phantom braking ...first time for me . was very happy about that .. .
I know I’ve beat this horse to death but adjacent lane tracking has really caused a dramatic increase of perceived phantom braking. This doesn’t just happen when you get the little arrows but one quick glance at the display will tell you what it’s observing and reacting to.

Pay close attention as it has the potential to get you rear ended if someone is following closely behind you when it does it’s thing. Maybe I need to tweet EM to make that a selectable slider in the AP menu since my chats with the service center don’t seem to be going anywhere.

I had the opportunity to use Carplay in a rental Chevy Mailbu (shiver) and it was literally the best part of the car, other than stop/start at traffic lights. It was better done than our Audi's for message integration.

I wish Tesla would implement it or if their 3rd party SDK actual comes to be, that someone would (not holding my breath cause why would anyone).

You don't have to use it if you don't want but honestly it works much better for somethings than the current Tesla UI. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Tesla getting quite the level of integration that Carplay or Android Auto can and that's a shame.

My 2019 Chevy Volt has Chevy's latest system and it's CarPlay absolutely sucks. Take Tesla's setup any day. Oh and it sounds like crap too.
My 2018 Jeep Summit with uConnect CarPlay was flawless. But I still don't miss it that much. It sure sounded great too. But Chevy, what a freaken mess. Makes me wish I never bought car.

Chevy will connect to my wife's phone as a phone and my phone as Media. Or the Reverse. It's different every time.
It screws up the volume on the phone so I don't get notifications when I leave car. It's slow to connect on bluetooth or when plugged in.
Then sometimes the ports just say no CarPlay today on that port but later it will.

And don't get me started on their "myChevrolet" App (which gets 5 stars in the App Store, while Tesla's get's 4).

Lots of people are having this problem. Call Tesla support while you are connected to WiFi and they will push it to your car.
Others having the download started and then "stuck". Mine went missing and isn't listed. Not a big deal since it doesn't contain that much and will give it a few more day. Also "calling" is SO last century. You should use the App to schedule Service>Software.;)

Officially it’s the triangle shaped space between travel lanes and entry/exit however for ease of reference in this case it’s that point where the lane widens to exit which NoAP seems to really struggle with.

I tried it several times today nudging it toward the left side of the lane and it definitely wasn’t as jumpy as usual.

My state actually labels exit lanes correctly with dotted lines so I've never had the "car thinks exit lane is just right lane getting huge" issue....

However I do find near the END of exit ramps where it goes from the one ramp lane to maybe a left and a right turn lane one can (sometimes) nudge it into one or the other without dropping out of AP... that was true before the update, haven't driven on it long enough to see if it's "easier" or not.

I will say it previously seemed to be easier or work more often if following another car though.

Reactions: ElectricIAC