Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously, these updates... why not fix real problems instead of adding stuff nobody wants.
- ability to choose dumb cruise control (mainly at night, the car still phantom-brakes often)
- fixing the wipers which are actually dangerous not coming on in time
- option to set a leave time per weekday
- volume briefly going up when a call ends
- Apple Music playlists (my 6yr old VW (without Carplay) has this)

Tesla has one goal at the moment; sell as many cars as possibly.
It would be nice to see some care for existing customers. Heck i've been waiting over a month for a new windscreen now!

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
Seriously, these updates... why not fix real problems instead of adding stuff nobody wants.
- ability to choose dumb cruise control
- Apple Music playlists (my 6yr old VW (without Carplay) has this

Do you mean "stuff you do not want?"

I would not hold my breath on this, they are not going to move backwards on technology. This is a non starter

You are able to use them at any time instantly with one press of a button on the stalk and also can use voice commands. It may not be what you want exactly, but it is not dangerous.

You need to be more specific, what exactly are you wanting at that leave time, a warm battery? It is not going to be able to finish charging at that exact moment as there are differences in charging speeds due to environmental variables and other factors. Just curious what exactly this means.

First I have heard of this. I know from working in software development myself. It is diferent teams working on bugs and features. You cannot just say "why did you add feature x when we have bug z" it is not the same people and all bugs are prioritized based on impact. The radio going up slightly will obviously get a lower stack rank to safety bugs.

- Apple Music playlists (my 6yr old VW (without Carplay) has this
Tesla is not going to pay Apple a licensing fees, and has been pretty open about this. You are better off asking for improvements to the existing software.

Reactions: dandrewk
- ability to choose dumb cruise control (mainly at night, the car still phantom-brakes often)
- Apple Music playlists (my 6yr old VW (without Carplay) has this)

Tesla has one goal at the moment; sell as many cars as possibly.
It would be nice to see some care for existing customers. Heck i've been waiting over a month for a new windscreen now!

Because almost everyone has their own "list of stuff thats important" that is different.

None of these things you list are issues for me personally, so they fall under "stuff I dont care about". If they get around to changing them, I wont be complaining about them not working on things "I" want.

I dont want or need dumb cruise control

Wipers in current iteration work ok, and since you can now turn them on via voice commands, I find its much less an issue

I dont care in the slightest about setting a leave time per weekday (I understand others do but I simply do not need this. Does that mean that if they implement it I should complain about tesla working on "stuff no one wants"?)

I have no issue with volume "going up when a call ends"

I have no desire for apple music, Playlists or otherwise, apple carplay, or android auto. So, if they put these things in, should I complain that they should be working on something else?

(no, I shouldnt be complaining like that).

Do you mean "stuff you do not want?"

I would not hold my breath on this, they are not going to move backwards on technology. This is a non starter

You are able to use them at any time instantly with one press of a button on the stalk and also can use voice commands. It may not be what you want exactly, but it is not dangerous.
Having a car that phantom-brakes is not me asking to go backwards in technology. It's me asking to have an option that works and does not scare the crap out of myself and my passengers. Same goes for the wipers. A manual button is not a replacement for non working automatic wipers.

What i mean is something like Track mode V2 is not for daily use, it's a fun extra. So is Camp-mode, and the new games. Phantom-braking and the wipers are daily issues and should be prioritized.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie
First I have heard of this. I know from working in software development myself. It is diferent teams working on bugs and features. You cannot just say "why did you add feature x when we have bug z" it is not the same people and all bugs are prioritized based on impact. The radio going up slightly will obviously get a lower stack rank to safety bugs.

It has been stated a number of times here on TMC. I myself experience it after any time I interface with my phone (including using Siri)

Otherwise, I agree with your post

Disagree here because if Tesla believes that TACC is a 'required' safety feature, then all cars should have it - AP or not (those before the mandatory AP software) but also because in some cases, TACC is more alarming (currently) than not so then folks won't use cruise at all.

Reactions: Knuppe
Disagree here because if Tesla believes that TACC is a 'required' safety feature, then all cars should have it - AP or not (those before the mandatory AP software) but also because in some cases, TACC is more alarming (currently) than not so then folks won't use cruise at all.

Where did I say it is a required safety feature? I said it is moving backwards on technology.

They are doing things to make the car autonomous with most every decision. If TACC is not working as expected (as determined by Tesla) it needs to be enhanced and/or fixed. The answer is not moving backwards, especially with Elon.

The reason automakers don’t allow switching between TACC and dumb cruise (this is not a Tesla specific thing) is because it’s not obvious which system has been chosen and it would be VERY easy to expect the car to brake when it’s been set to dumb cruise, resulting in a nasty accident.

This is particularly true for a different driver using the car after someone has set it from TACC to dumb cruise.

Do not expect this choice to ever be implemented for these reasons.

• Disagree
Having a car that phantom-brakes is not me asking to go backwards in technology. It's me asking to have an option that works and does not scare the crap out of myself and my passengers. Same goes for the wipers. A manual button is not a replacement for non working automatic wipers.

What i mean is something like Track mode V2 is not for daily use, it's a fun extra. So is Camp-mode, and the new games. Phantom-braking and the wipers are daily issues and should be prioritized.

But again all beside the point. As another poster mentioned. in Software development the concept of "Too many cooks in the kitchen" is all too real. You can't get bugs fixed quicker by throwing more people at them. Much like how although 1 woman can have a baby in 9 months throwing 9 women at the project doesn't get it done in 1 month. Software development is complex and requires various specific sub disciplines, expertises and specialties. Just because some teams put out new features doesn't mean there aren't others hard at work on the exact issues you mentioned. And throwing more people at them is far more likely to slow them down rather than speed them up. For every new person you add to the problem that's someone you have to now bring up to speed on EVERYTHING, the specifics of the issue itself, the specifics of the code and how different parts of it interact with that bug, why the bug is not occurring all the time, specifics of how the sensors work in that particular situation and even mundane things like how this section of code is manage, how progress is tracked, how code is reviewed and committed, approaches that have been tried and been ultimately unsuccessful, why that is, and even then they're far less likely to retain any of that as well as the person who's been working on it from the beginning, and now multiply this by every additional person you add.

It's an oversimplification but this whole concept is enshrined in Software development as "Brooks's Law" and why there's tons of IT articles written on it

Why throwing more people at your problem won’t fix your problem
Throwing Bodies at the Problem | 3 Geeks and a Law Blog
Why Throwing More People At Your IT Migration Problem Won't Solve The Issue
Throwing more people at the problem no longer works

This is but a sampling the list goes on literally forever

The reason automakers don’t allow switching between TACC and dumb cruise (this is not a Tesla specific thing) is because it’s not obvious which system has been chosen and it would be VERY easy to expect the car to brake when it’s been set to dumb cruise, resulting in a nasty accident.

This is particularly true for a different driver using the car after someone has set it from TACC to dumb cruise.

Do not expect this choice to ever be implemented for these reasons.

As above, agree to disagree.

Lack of good user interface is a piss-poor excuse regardless of car maker. In your scenario above, it's trivially easy to always default to the "safe" form of cruise and the attentive driver given the option to use old-school behavior on-demand.

I'm "forced" on every new drive to have the emergency braking thing enabled, I can turn it off at will however. Not rocket science (and we know Elon can do rocket science).

Not interested in a sadly pointless debate because only Tesla can make the fixes to TACC and/or allow the behavior a non-zero number of customers are interested in having available.

The only real argument that holds any water for me is they don't want to spend the resources.

Enjoy your day

Reactions: Knuppe
The reason automakers don’t allow switching between TACC and dumb cruise (this is not a Tesla specific thing)

FWIW- this is a Tesla specific thing.

Most other companies let you pick which type of cruise to use.

For example-

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM06142U/xhtml/OM06142U.html?locale=en

That's a 2019 Camry owners manual

Roughly page 271-280 discusses using radar cruise control.

Page 281 tells you how to use "dumb" cruise instead if you don't want to use the radar based one (you basically hold the cruise button down longer)

is because it’s not obvious which system has been chosen and it would be VERY easy to expect the car to brake when it’s been set to dumb cruise, resulting in a nasty accident.

Well, you can argue they feel having a "traditional" dash display to tell you which you're using mitigates that- something the 3 lacks.

All that said- I too have no need or desire for "dumb" cruise. TACC is excellent when used correctly.

• Informative
Reactions: mtndrew1
Lack of good user interface is a piss-poor excuse regardless of car maker. In your scenario above, it's trivially easy to always default to the "safe" form of cruise and the attentive driver given the option to use old-school behavior on-demand.

While this "sounds" good the facts do not back you up. Tesla is consistently getting press for crashing less often. If TACC was more dangerous the metrics would bear it out. Numbers and facts do not lie.

I could literally post a dozen sources showing the crash numbers.

• Disagree