Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As above, agree to disagree.

Lack of good user interface is a piss-poor excuse regardless of car maker. In your scenario above, it's trivially easy to always default to the "safe" form of cruise and the attentive driver given the option to use old-school behavior on-demand.

I'm "forced" on every new drive to have the emergency braking thing enabled, I can turn it off at will however. Not rocket science (and we know Elon can do rocket science).

Not interested in a sadly pointless debate because only Tesla can make the fixes to TACC and/or allow the behavior a non-zero number of customers are interested in having available.

The only real argument that holds any water for me is they don't want to spend the resources.

Enjoy your day

Every carmaker also disables TACC and does not allow dumb cruise when the radar sensor is snow-packed for the same reason.

If you were on TACC, the radar is obstructed, and the system changed to dumb cruise it’s not difficult to imagine the resulting pileup as someone expects the car to slow because 99% of the time it’s set to do exactly that, regardless of UI. People don’t realize their high beams are on with a simple UI that’s been consistent for 60 years.

The absurd headlines we get now for people driving themselves into fire trucks would have an exponent added.

Sometimes things need to be set to accommodate the lowest common denominator because other people’s lives are at stake if things go sideways. It might not be ideal for those who never make mistakes but that’s how it is. Expect it to remain that way no matter which car you get with TACC.

I agree that TACC could be better but my recent 2,000 mile drive in a Toyota minivan with TACC showed me that phantom braking isn’t Tesla specific but of course Toyota’s system will remain static in its abilities for the life of the car.

Reactions: iamnid and bpjod
- fixing the wipers which are actually dangerous not coming on in time
You are able to use them at any time instantly with one press of a button on the stalk and also can use voice commands. It may not be what you want exactly, but it is not dangerous.

Disagree.

Here's why it's wrong though -- because there are several threads, including ones by me, talking about this.

Everyone knows that the brake pedal stops the car. Captain Obvious, right? So even if you have AP/NOA on, you have all these warnings saying you must be prepared to stop at any time, and you are responsible for it, not the car.

The wipers? Not so much. It is sold as automatic, it is stated that there's a wonderful neural network attached to it, and yet you go from 0-60 in a light rain and the system won't pick up on added rain density. So then you can't see. YES, we can press buttons, but if you're not immediately prepared to compensate for the deficiencies, you'll be blinded by rain, road mist from other cars, etc. In short, *I* have learned not to trust Tesla wipers, and pressing buttons. It is dangerous insofar as the system and the general public presumes it works completely in all situations, which it does not. Maybe for you, not for all. That's a broken system that needs fixing. It's getting better, but not fast enough.

It needs to pass the "grandmother test". If you could tell your grandmother that the wipers work automatically and they really did and she could see, then great. But if you have to say "but if it doesn't work, be ready to press this button..." then the system really isn't working, is it?

Most people like me just assume it never works and go manual because of that, and that's also a broken system.

Pacific-Northwest constant sprinkle-rains for the win!

Reactions: Char and Msjulie
FWIW- this is a Tesla specific thing.

Most other companies let you pick which type of cruise to use.

For example-

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM06142U/xhtml/OM06142U.html?locale=en

That's a 2019 Camry owners manual

Roughly page 271-280 discusses using radar cruise control.

Page 281 tells you how to use "dumb" cruise instead if you don't want to use the radar based one (you basically hold the cruise button down longer)

Well, you can argue they feel having a "traditional" dash display to tell you which you're using mitigates that- something the 3 lacks.

All that said- I too have no need or desire for "dumb" cruise. TACC is excellent when used correctly.
FWIW- this is a Tesla specific thing.

Most other companies let you pick which type of cruise to use.

For example-

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM06142U/xhtml/OM06142U.html?locale=en

That's a 2019 Camry owners manual

Roughly page 271-280 discusses using radar cruise control.

Page 281 tells you how to use "dumb" cruise instead if you don't want to use the radar based one (you basically hold the cruise button down longer)

Well, you can argue they feel having a "traditional" dash display to tell you which you're using mitigates that- something the 3 lacks.

All that said- I too have no need or desire for "dumb" cruise. TACC is excellent when used correctly.

Thanks for the info, I learned something new today! That said, I recently spent quite a lot of miles using exactly that system and it was not at all obvious that it could be enabled or disabled which is...pertinent.

Anyway, has anyone with RWD received this update yet? I’m feeling left out and am itching for the Bluetooth improvement.

Most people like me just assume it never works and go manual because of that, and that's also a broken system.
Point made.
Customers working around a flawed system is not a finished product. This goes for TACC and the wipers.
Tesla hunted down every penny and in that quest they made the decision not to add a 2 dollar rain sensor. That backfired. Now deal with it and stop focussing on adding gimmicks.

Point made.
Customers working around a flawed system is not a finished product. This goes for TACC and the wipers.
Tesla hunted down every penny and in that quest they made the decision not to add a 2 dollar rain sensor. That backfired. Now deal with it and stop focussing on adding gimmicks.

I agree they should have included a dedicated rain sensor but they’ve gone from hilariously bad in June of 2018 to totally usable (in my use case) now. Sometimes I have to push the little button on the signal stalk but I never need to manually set anything on the screen anymore.

I hope there’s another improvement in 2020.8.1.

Point made.

There's a ton of people that use Teslas on the track that are gonna love this update..

I agree they should have included a dedicated rain sensor but they’ve gone from hilariously bad in June of 2018 to totally usable (in my use case) now. Sometimes I have to push the little button on the signal stalk but I never need to manually set anything on the screen anymore.

I hope there’s another improvement in 2020.8.1.
Me too. It's gotten better but nowhere near 'set-and-forget' (Netherlands).

Reactions: mtndrew1
The auto sensing wipers seems to have improved in recent times. It's acceptable now.

My problem with it was how unintuitive the wash/nozzle function was. First time I drove it home from the shop ice and snow started accumulating on the windshield, and it was terribly unsafe condition to slow down or pull over. Who would've thunk it that the button to trigger the wiper had a double-detent? Usually you push or pull the stalk to clean the windshield and I ended up flashing the car ahead instead

I wonder how large the update file is...

Also.. i would LOVE to see a new maps update soon. Maps are coming up on a year old!
I just got back in my car from talking to service, clicked the software tab again and it’s now downloading new navigation data so Tesla gods must’ve seen your comment haha. Currently on 2019.6 I’ll let you know what the new version is.

• Love
Reactions: McFlurri
31229E72-6251-4344-BB9E-EB1DD281F726.jpeg

Reactions: McFlurri