Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.8.3 and exFAT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to Tesla, I got mine a couple weeks ago on the same day Gov. Inslee locked down Washington State. Any ways, I haven't been really able to drive it much but I did receive my first update to the new version 2020.8.3 2 days ago. I've read through the update notes from Tesla and other sites that like to break it down for you and I saw that exFAT is now supported.

So I went to test it out and setup my WD My Passport 512Gb SSD. I split the drive in half, formatted both with exFAT (1 for music, 1 for Sentry/DashCam). Created the TeslaCam folder at the root of 1 partition. I've followed instructions as best I could, minus of course the FAT32 option. I plugged it into the car, it recognizes all my music and plays from the exFAT partition and it also recognized the TeslaCam partition as well but Sentry Mode and DashCam still will not enable in settings, all grayed out.

Question, does anyone have this setup with exFAT yet? If so, am I missing something or some required setting? I have to have missed something stupidly easy but I don't see it, maybe someone out there can enlighten me, thanks!

I'm new to Tesla, I got mine a couple weeks ago on the same day Gov. Inslee locked down Washington State. Any ways, I haven't been really able to drive it much but I did receive my first update to the new version 2020.8.3 2 days ago. I've read through the update notes from Tesla and other sites that like to break it down for you and I saw that exFAT is now supported.

So I went to test it out and setup my WD My Passport 512Gb SSD. I split the drive in half, formatted both with exFAT (1 for music, 1 for Sentry/DashCam). Created the TeslaCam folder at the root of 1 partition. I've followed instructions as best I could, minus of course the FAT32 option. I plugged it into the car, it recognizes all my music and plays from the exFAT partition and it also recognized the TeslaCam partition as well but Sentry Mode and DashCam still will not enable in settings, all grayed out.

Question, does anyone have this setup with exFAT yet? If so, am I missing something or some required setting? I have to have missed something stupidly easy but I don't see it, maybe someone out there can enlighten me, thanks!
I've read that version 2020.8 had exFAT support, but that it was removed for later updates (i.e. 2020.8.1). When I got 2020.8.2 I decided to see if exFAT worked and it didn't. I now have 2020.8.3 but haven't tested again. Most likely exFAT support hasn't been re-added yet.

Did you create the Teslacam folder on the partition for the Teslacam?

Yes, I did create the TeslaCam folder at the root of the partition, and yes i did say that in my initial post. I even spelled it as "TeslaCam" at the root of the drive with the caps since that is how everyone is setting it up. It's so weird, it plays music from the other partition on that drive and it's exFAT. I'm stumped...anybody else want to try formatting it and seeing if it's just my car? For a car that is amazingly smart, I'm surprised it's having issues with exFAT.

Yes, I did create the TeslaCam folder at the root of the partition, and yes i did say that in my initial post. I even spelled it as "TeslaCam" at the root of the drive with the caps since that is how everyone is setting it up. It's so weird, it plays music from the other partition on that drive and it's exFAT. I'm stumped...anybody else want to try formatting it and seeing if it's just my car? For a car that is amazingly smart, I'm surprised it's having issues with exFAT.

Is there a size restriction attached Sentry/DashCam software?

Is there a size restriction attached Sentry/DashCam software?

Nope.... well, I suppose there's a minimum.... just the 1 hour dashcam buffer is ~7.2 gigs, and each 10 minutes of saved or sentry footage is another ~1.2 gigs..... Personally I'd consider at least 128GB ideal at this point... large enough even "cheap" flash will last longer than you're likely to own the car and as long as you clean it out a few times a year it won't ever get especially full either unless you park in REALLY busy lots with sentry on a lot.

I have been unsuccessful in getting Sentry and DashCam to work after formatting the usb drive to exFat in my 3/20 build Model 3 Performance on 2020.8.2 FW.

Have you tried Fat32 on the Sentry/DashCam partition of the usb drive? I had tried Windows 10 and two other programs to format the partition and I finally had good fortune when formatting my usb using RMPrep. I had no luck using Windows 10, GUIformat and AOMEI Partition Assistant to format. However, as always, YMMV!

Preparing your Drive – Tesla Dashcam Advice, Recommendations and more!

Sorry, I messed up the quote function. It was actually my response to LastExile.

No worries, thanks for the info. I'll leave the music partition as exFAT since that works and i will reformat the other partition as FAT32 for now and see if that works for me.

Let me know if anyone else here in the community manages to get the Sentry/DashCam to work on an exFAT partition, would appreciate it.

I finally got an update to 2020.8.3 today. There wasn’t mention of support for exFAT in the release notes. Decided to format my USB drive to exFAT anyway to see if it would work.

It did not.

Thanks for trying out the exFAT partition. I myself took the exFAT and reformatted it to Fat32. I placed the required folder TeslaCam and then plugged it in. The DashCam settings activated and I set that option on. I was totally excited about that. However, the stupid sentry mode is still grayed out. Is there an emoji on here for jaw dropping open. I have no idea how to proceed now, suggestions?