Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.8 Bluetooth glitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2020.8 the release notes said they updated Bluetooth, I’m no so sure it was an upgrade...

I was running out to go get some wine for dinner, my wife was on the phone with her mother in the house. I hop in my car as usual and suddenly my Mother in law is being piped in through the speakers! She is very nice but I essentially hijacked the phone call and left everyone confused.

I have never had that happen before and feel like it’s a glitch with the new update.

have you experienced anything like this?

is your wife's phone connected to your model 3? when you get into the car it will always connect your phone via bluetooth and pipe the call through the car speakers if you're on one...that's not a glitch, it's how it's supposed to work.

Yes, Her phone is connected to the car, as was my phone.

She was across the house and not getting in the car with me. If this is normal, I would have hijacked many calls before, but this is the first time.

if she was still within bluetooth range, it still could have connected her.

i guess the question is why did it connect her phone and not yours, and how does it decide which one to connect?

If it’s an intended function, it’s not a desirable intended function. They should find a way to fix that.

AFAIK, bluetooth distance isn't 100% bulletproof. that's one of the reasons the phone key isn't 100% bulletproof. if both of your phones are saved in the car, my guess is that it will connect to whichever one it thinks is closer or whichever one it sees first...if that happens to be your wife's phone, then that's what it will connect to. i'm not sure there's any way to "fix" it.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
If it’s an intended function, it’s not a desirable intended function. They should find a way to fix that.
How do you propose Tesla should go about fixing the bluetooth radios on your mobile devices? Or how you two approach the car? There's really no easy answer in this situation unless I'm missing something? Whichever device pings on bluetooth first will connect to the car's system. You could set a device that always overrides the other, but then what if your wife wanted to use her phone for music, calls, etc. Another option that already exists is to remove your wife's phone from bluetooth media, but leave it as a phone key. But if you took the time to set it up, I assume you want her to be able to use her phone for media.

This is not new to this release. My wife sometimes has morning conference calls at home. I drive my son to school. There have been times when I'm still in the house, and he's getting in the car, where her call has transferred to our 3. The new release tried to improve this by requiring someone in the driver's seat and ready to go before switching from phone to car, but the ultimate problem is that bluetooth connections may misread which phone to connect to when there is more than one option.