Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It pains me to see the Model 3 get upgraded weather stripping (thicker and better sealing) while Model S remains the same old noisy drafty car from the dark ages. Latest Model 3 also has tighter panel gaps, more reliable components like door handles and window regulators, AC compressors, MCUs, the list is endless.

My two biggest complaints about Tesla (cabin noise and reliability) are being dealt with on 3. Meanwhile, Tesla is busy developing some Plaid performance S that is probably noisy as hell and 0.2 seconds faster 0-60. It's a huge car, why bother with pushing the limits so far in the corners? S should be a luxury car, not a huge boomy windy rattle trap for hunting Taycan in your gated community.

The question is, when will the S feel like a $70k car? Are we ever gonna get a tighter fit and finish? Or should we just ditch the S? The build quality is crap, even after 8 years!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogsRus
The production of the S changes daily, so while we may not physically see the upgrades/tweaks to the car there are some...The cars are not by any means amazingly put together but some are much better than others.

I don't want anything from Model 3 trickling up to the Model S (especially the door handles, interior, etc). Too different cars in two different segments so It needs to stay that way, If I wanted Model 3 features I'd buy a Model 3 but I'm happy with the door handles on the Model S, not having the upgraded MCU (for my 2016) and the chrome trim that the SC finally properly fixed, etc....

I've never wanted anything the Model 3 has in the Model S. The Model S will be getting upgrades in a while just give it some more time to improve (even though it's had plenty of time). I think every one is getting on the Model S's QC because it hasn't been refreshed yet.

I've personally never really seen Tesla for quality but I've seen them for Tech advancements and "Performance" cars. The S has a Luxury car price tag but doesn't have a Luxury car interior or fit and finish and that's just how it's going to be until the lineup gets refreshed.

The S will improve give it a little time...even though it's had plenty of time haha!!