Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 cars with radar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the vision-only system continues to be refined and improved (hopefully), will that mean that those cars currently equipped with radar will essentially have it deactivated or will the system continue to accept input from the radar sensors? Is the goal to move toward 100% vision only for the entire fleet?

My understanding is that all 2020 MY (with radar) are already equipped with the needed cameras, so they are not obsolete in anyway. The FSD vision only basically just does not use the input from the radars, and use the cameras’ video only.

Just so I understand my 2/21 build MY with standard AP will get an OTA software update sometime down the line (I’m guessing it will be a while since they will be working out kinks in cars equipped with vision only) that will deactivate radar and activate cameras already built in now but just not active and my MY will then be vision only as well?

Yes, I would suspect so. Tesla claims that vision alone is better than vision + radar because vision is good and radar creates a bunch of noise. If that is true, and vision keeps getting better, it should improve. (Yes, I know these are Tesla's claims; your guess is as good as mine whether they're true or not. I don't think any of us is truly in a place to judge stuff like this that requires massive expertise).

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Yes, I would suspect so. Tesla claims that vision alone is better than vision + radar because vision is good and radar creates a bunch of noise. If that is true, and vision keeps getting better, it should improve. (Yes, I know these are Tesla's claims; your guess is as good as mine whether they're true or not. I don't think any of us is truly in a place to judge stuff like this that requires massive expertise).
Yeah kinda what I’ve been reading too…a wait and see kinda game