Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Dead Pedal Cover - 3D Printed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Chevy Bolt EV that had the dead pedal covered with carpet like the 2020 M3. There was an owner who made $$$ by 3D printing a simple flat cover that strongly affixed to the carpet with full 3M velcro backing. They also matched the pattern on the surface to the brake/accelerator pedals.

So... anyone out there with a 3D printer up for the challenge?

ItZKpnY.jpg

AwwWovYl.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, however people are missing the point about dead pedals. To be effective they need to have a solid contact to the metal frame of the car. That way they can transmit critical information about road surfaces and vehicle mechanical feedback. Need to be bolted or welded solid to the chassis.

What we are talking about here is a piece of plastic that sits insulated on top of the carpet and padding. Works only as a benign footrest. Little precious feedback transmitted.

Looks good, however people are missing the point about dead pedals. To be effective they need to have a solid contact to the metal frame of the car. That way they can transmit critical information about road surfaces and vehicle mechanical feedback. Need to be bolted or welded solid to the chassis.

What we are talking about here is a piece of plastic that sits insulated on top of the carpet and padding. Works only as a benign footrest. Little precious feedback transmitted.

I don't think people are missing the point. You're describing a dead pedal for sure. But for most people with daily drivers, it's a footrest essential to keeping our backs comfortable by having both legs outstretched to the same position. If you have any back issues or sciatica, it's actually a deal breaker when shopping for cars (along with a highly adjustable and properly supportive seat).

Lol I didnt realize everyone should be a race car driver. I think 99.99999999% want one to protect the carpet and have a spot to grip their shoe when they rest it.

I'm down for any solution that is sturdy and provide protection from carpet wear. I have a spare OEM pedal I may attempt to retrofit in my 2020 - just hesitant cutting the carpet. The other simpler option is get the flat aftermarket stainless pedal and Velcro it in place.

I'm down for any solution that is sturdy and provide protection from carpet wear. I have a spare OEM pedal I may attempt to retrofit in my 2020 - just hesitant cutting the carpet. The other simpler option is get the flat aftermarket stainless pedal and Velcro it in place.
That's true, but as @Uncle Paul mentions, it's not an ideal solution. The 'carpet' has a lot of flex in that area, which means that the stainless plate also has a lot of movement. Aesthetically it looks OK, and functionally it'll provide some protection of the carpet below, but as a fitted accessory I think it looks a bit 'cheap' due to all the movement.