Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 findus Superchargers in New England

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
Tesla's findus page lists the following locations for new Superchargers:

The New column says whether it is New for 2020.

Here's the short Maine list. I'll let others in other states list give their ideas on those.

StateLocationNewStatusComments
MEBar HarborNo-I feel that the Ellsworth Hannaford would be a better location overall.
MEBethelNo"Permit"Indicated by an Irving display as being at the Irving.
MEFarmingtonYes-Hannaford on US-2 an obvious possibility. Would serve US-2 travelers E-W, but also allow better access to Sugarloaf for skiing as it's less than 100 miles from Kennebunk - Northbound, ME and Portland, ME
MESkowheganNoOpenWas already finished by the end of 2019, and was probably open already. It's now listed in the cars' navigation.

So, only Farmington, ME is new to the list for 2020, but that's a good location.

Agree w/ JWardell. Other examples are:

-Meriden, CT SC not on the map but under construction already
-Peabody, MA Service Center not on the map but already under construction

However some new locations do appear like:
-Rutland, VT (Badly needed! VT under-served)
-Waltham, MA
-Burlington, MA
-Revere, MA

-Waltham, MA
-Burlington, MA
-Revere, MA
That Rutland one has been on the map for a year or so. I have family in Brandon and will really appreciate it finally happening.

Agreed, they have been there. If anything the change is the removal of Woburn.
Actually, I don't think Woburn was ever on Tesla's map. We all assumed the Burlington pin was going to be for the permitted Woburn location that has yet to materialize. It seems likely Burlington will happen sometime based on an e-mail correspondence I had with someone at Simon Malls that manages the Burlington Mall - they wouldn't commit to when, but said they were in discussions with Tesla to locate a Supercharger there.

Once upon a time I would look only at "permit" locations on Superchaarge.info b/c this was the only indication needed that a SCer was going to get built. at that point, it was only a matter of time until the new location was functional.

sadly, this is no longer the case... these days I pay attention only to "under construction" locations and even these I can no longer be 100% sure won't be abandoned at some point.

but most most importantly, i generally ignore "permit" locations until they start being built.

it's unfortunate that it has come to this.. but on the other hand, the SCer map is a sight to behold.

-Waltham, MA
-Burlington, MA
-Revere, MA

Waltham, Burlington, Rutland, North Conway, and Lynden were all listed during 2019.

Lewiston and Auburn Maine are getting shafted again, probably because of the close proximity to Portland, Augusta and Freeport. However the area has more population than any other area in the state other than Portland.

Farmington?? Are you kidding me.

Lewiston and Auburn Maine are getting shafted again, probably because of the close proximity to Portland, Augusta and Freeport. However the area has more population than any other area in the state other than Portland.

On the way to Sugarbush and the border/Lac Megantic. L-A, while populated, are not exactly prime Tesla territory.

Reactions: kayak1
On the way to Sugarbush and the border/Lac Megantic. L-A, while populated, are not exactly prime Tesla territory.

It seems weird to me to ignore the 2nd most populated area in the state but cater to out of state visitors to one ski mountain. I’m sure Tesla is probably using trip data to calculate optimal locations but putting a supercharger location (even an Urban) in a population center will drive even more business.

There are Canadian Tesla owners who use US-2 to cross Maine instead of traveling around it.
Plus Farmington, ME improves winter access to Sugarloaf.

But, importantly: https://www.efficiencymaine.com/docs/EV_phase1-1.pdf
Farmington, ME is one of the locations on the Maine EV corridors.

I'm now getting the feeling that Tesla is deliberately targeting potential competition.

Petro Canada builds a TCH network. Tesla completes the TCH.
Maine builds the I-95 and US-201 corridor to the Canadian border. Tesla adds Skowhegan, ME and Jackman, ME.
Fortum will put chargers in Finnmark, Norway. Tesla will put chargers in Finnmark.

But Lewiston, ME/Auburn, ME is only 40 miles from Portland, ME and 35 miles from Augusta, ME.
Once they build Bethel, ME and Farmington, ME, fastest travel from/to Lewiston/Auburn to pretty much anywhere should be covered, and a Lewiston/Auburn area Supercharger wouldn't be of much value.

Plus, a Supercharger in that area wouldn't be right off the Interstate and traveling I-295 is faster (and cheaper) than I-95.

Again you are simply looking at commonly traveled roads and not population centers.

You also want to have Superchargers where people actually live. These are places where people actually travel to and from. Maybe you visit someone in Lewiston and you need to get back to your starting point??? Sure would be nice to have charging. The county has over 100,000 people and is completely ignored. There are two crappy Chademo at a Nissan dealership.

Again you are simply looking at commonly traveled roads and not population centers.

You also want to have Superchargers where people actually live. These are places where people actually travel to and from. Maybe you visit someone in Lewiston and you need to get back to your starting point??? Sure would be nice to have charging. The county has over 100,000 people and is completely ignored. There are two crappy Chademo at a Nissan dealership.

I have a place in Norway, Maine, and getting around up there has never been an issue.