Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 FSD - Phantom braking - navigate on AP.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry your only interpretation of facts, literally cited from the operators manual, is 'balderdash'

If you keep operating the car incorrectly you can keep expecting problematic results- but you do you I guess.
The user manual says "Autosteer is intended for use only on
highways and limited-access roads with a fully
attentive driver."
Phantom braking happens on TACC as well, so I don't know why the zealots in here keep droning on about that one section.

It's not the same on all cars. We drove 2 2020 TM3P in the same lane right after another, only 1 had a phantom braking occur, and it happened 3 times. We both cleaned the windshield before testing.

I recorded my car braking from 110km/h to 90km/h in less that 1 second when passing a truck. If you round up that's 0.57G, which is a lot when it comes unexpectedly.

The emergency brake system is meant to react to possible dangers. A shadow isn't a potential danger, but the car brakes. Most software companies would consider that a bug. In this case the bug is in detecting possible dangers, not the actual brake event.

The model 3 brakes really hard compared to a bunch of other car brands when they phantom brake. Yes, some companies made it even worse, but they were recalled. All other cars I've tested have much softer phantom braking, which is why people are reacting the way they do with the hard phantom braking done by the TM3. People are comparing it to other cars, they're not comparing it to actual emergency braking.

Honestly, all this arguing about petty details. Just a grain of leniency and pragmatism from either side and this whole thread would be dead long ago. Like children arguing about who has the strongest dad.

BTW, my dad can do 50 pull-ups.

The user manual says "Autosteer is intended for use only on
highways and limited-access roads with a fully
attentive driver."
Phantom braking happens on TACC as well, so I don't know why the zealots in here keep droning on about that one section.

The guy in question was citing issues in construction zones.

Which the manual says not to use TACC in either.

So there's that.

No it doesn't, I've looked through all of it and it only says to not use autosteer in construction zones.

So this is pretty interesting.... it appears in the current version of the manual they did remove the construction warning from TACC (but not AS)... but they added a much stricter one to TACC.

TACC now explicitly states it's not intended for use on city streets just as AS always has.

Model 3 owners manual said:
Traffic-aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets

And while it no longer specifically calls out construction it does still state not to use it:
Model 3 owners manual said:
on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing

Happened to me for the first time last night. Cruising along at 70mph on a motorway, no other cars in front or to the side of me and thankfully nothing following too closely behind. It was dark, rainy and generally horrible and suddenly BAM! What felt like very hard braking completely out of the blue......it did happen right under an overpass. Perhaps it felt harder than it actually was as I wasn't expecting it but it did feel extremely strong and took the car down by 20mph in an instant. My instant reaction was to step on the brake, I'm not sure why, which further exacerbated the problem. I then moved over to the inside lane and got the car back up to 60mph while I waited for my heart to slow down.

Not sure I'm going to be able to get the brown stains off the white seat.