Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Gen 3 Wall Connector Replaced...finally haha!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I wanted to post my experience getting my 2020 Gen 3 Wall Connector replaced.

My 2020 WC (purchased in July, 2020) had the dreaded overheat issue....it would start at full charge (40 amps in my case) then throttle down to 32, then 30, and sometimes lower.

I emailed Tesla WC support with my issue ([email protected]).

After one MONTH (haha!!) they replied back and asked for my WC's TPN/TSN, along with a description of any LED fault codes I was seeing (Pro-tip: Send the TPN/TSN and LED fault codes with your initial email to save time!!).

Two WEEKS (haha!!) after sending my info, they replied and confirmed that my WC was defective and would be replaced.

Eleven days later, Tesla emailed the return label for the defective WC and tracking on the replacement WC.

So....about two months start to finish. Yes, calling may have shortened the turnaround, but I don't like waiting on hold for hours haha!!

Bottom line: If you've got a defective WC, they will get it replaced eventually. :)

Hello everyone,

I wanted to post my experience getting my 2020 Gen 3 Wall Connector replaced.

My 2020 WC (purchased in July, 2020) had the dreaded overheat issue....it would start at full charge (40 amps in my case) then throttle down to 32, then 30, and sometimes lower.

I emailed Tesla WC support with my issue ([email protected]).

After one MONTH (haha!!) they replied back and asked for my WC's TPN/TSN, along with a description of any LED fault codes I was seeing (Pro-tip: Send the TPN/TSN and LED fault codes with your initial email to save time!!).

Two WEEKS (haha!!) after sending my info, they replied and confirmed that my WC was defective and would be replaced.

Eleven days later, Tesla emailed the return label for the defective WC and tracking on the replacement WC.

So....about two months start to finish. Yes, calling may have shortened the turnaround, but I don't like waiting on hold for hours haha!!

Bottom line: If you've got a defective WC, they will get it replaced eventually. :)
I also have a 2020 Gen3 WC that recently stopped charging with the Red light of death (along with a replacement of the Charging port ECU on the car). I did call them last Friday, sent pictures, receipt of original purchase with Tesla approval electrician etc.

They got back to me on Saturday saying that the replacement process "had been sent to the warehouse" and that I should wait 7-10 days to receive an email with a return shipping label and tracking for a new one. So, its been almost 5 days for me so far. However, I'm not expecting anything until at least next week. So while not the 2 months you saw, i'd say the process is still a bit slow.

Would be nice if they had mobile service run me over a replacement charger so that I could get charging again, however it looks like I'll be stuck with slow 120v charging at home for now, while awaiting the UPS folks to show up in a week or so with the replacement.

Reactions: jf64k
I also have a 2020 Gen3 WC that recently stopped charging with the Red light of death (along with a replacement of the Charging port ECU on the car). I did call them last Friday, sent pictures, receipt of original purchase with Tesla approval electrician etc.

They got back to me on Saturday saying that the replacement process "had been sent to the warehouse" and that I should wait 7-10 days to receive an email with a return shipping label and tracking for a new one. So, its been almost 5 days for me so far. However, I'm not expecting anything until at least next week. So while not the 2 months you saw, i'd say the process is still a bit slow.

Would be nice if they had mobile service run me over a replacement charger so that I could get charging again, however it looks like I'll be stuck with slow 120v charging at home for now, while awaiting the UPS folks to show up in a week or so with the replacement.
Great that they are getting it replaced!! Our replacement has been flawless. 40 amps steady and we charge daily.

I went the phone route and can confirm it was no more than a week from initial contact with over the phone diagnosis and confirmation of issue, to receiving a new unit. Actually got the replacement unit before shipping out the defective one. Mine was also a 2020 unit so there must have been some less than up to spec parts in those.

It seems to be a trend here. I had an October 2020 wall connector, got the red light of death last week, like everyone, called spoke to a lady who tried to get me to download the latest firmware etc, but still no luck. Took all the pictured they required, and got a nice email back they will replace it. It's being shipped as we speak which only took about 4 days. I must admit I cant complain about the service, the lady that I had dealings with was really nice and very helpful. Just waiting for my new wall connector now.. :)