Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 long range plus battery failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 long-range plus model S died this week. The vehicle was towed for service and I was informed today the high-voltage battery needs to be replaced. The car has 16,000 miles on it. While it will be covered by warranty, it sounds like it will be replaced with a remanufactured battery. I have some concerns that the replacement battery may come out of a vehicle with significantly more miles which may lead to range issues in the future. I never charge to greater than 85%, and have not utilized supercharging.

I was wondering if anyone else with a new(ish) Tesla has run into a similar issue and had advice moving forward? It will take 2-3 weeks to receive the replacement battery. Would Tesla ever extend the warranty or offer to buy the vehicle back using funds towards a new purchase?

You would need to talk with them about any deals on trades, etc. So sorry this happened. It is my understanding, and I have read it in Tesla print, that they will provide you a battery of similar age, and capacity to the one being replaced, if they don't provide a new battery (unlikely). You still have 7 years left and they guarantee you a minimum amount of capacity (I think it is 75%) over the lifespan of the warranty, just like your new battery. BTW, you can probably get what you paid for your 2020 S after the battery is replaced in this great used car environment. It will be an issue getting a new one delivered, tho.

Reactions: aerodyne
You would need to talk with them about any deals on trades, etc. So sorry this happened. It is my understanding, and I have read it in Tesla print, that they will provide you a battery of similar age, and capacity to the one being replaced, if they don't provide a new battery (unlikely). You still have 7 years left and they guarantee you a minimum amount of capacity (I think it is 75%) over the lifespan of the warranty, just like your new battery. BTW, you can probably get what you paid for your 2020 S after the battery is replaced in this great used car environment. It will be an issue getting a new one delivered, tho.
I appreciate your thoughts. Going to the service center tomorrow to pick up a loaner vehicle, and will see what they have to say beyond the brief phone discussion today. Agree that trading in for a new vehicle may not be a realistic option give the limed supply of new vehicles at this time.

Just an update to above. 1 month later and my car is still sitting at the service center. They have a battery in California, but lack the infrastructure to get it to Massachusetts in a reasonable time frame.

This was my number one concern when I purchased a Tesla.

Mass. Lemon Law: Guide to New Car Lemon Law

Reasonable Repair Attempts: Must have given the dealer 3 attempts to correct the defect. "If your car is out of service during repair attempts for 15 or more business days, that also meets the requirement, even if there aren’t 3 separate repair attempts."

Final Repair attempt:
"If the substantial defect continues after the dealer or manufacturer has made a reasonable number of repair attempts, you must give the manufacturer one final repair opportunity, not to exceed 7 business days, to fix the defect. The 7-day period begins when the manufacturer knows or should know that the repair requirements have been met or exceeded.

Before 15 months from the date of delivery, you’ll need to send a letter notifying the manufacturer that you have made reasonable repair attempts. You can send the letter after the term of protection has ended.

It is recommended that you send your notice by mail, return receipt requested, regular mail and by email to the manufacturer’s regional office. Keep copies of all documents.

At the end of the 7 business days, if the manufacturer has your car, you may pick it up whether it has been fixed or not. If the defect hasn’t been repaired, you have a right to the cost of repairs, a refund, or a replacement car."

Notify the dealer in text, email, or writing he is in the final 7 business days to fix the defect under the Mass Lemon Law. I bet that battery shows up quickly.

Perhaps wait a few more days and in a professional way, consider requesting a trade for a Model S that matches the features you want. Alternatively, you could just continue waiting as I believe they gave you a rental Tesla for free, right?

I hope everything works out well for you.
Thanks for the input. It took some time but I currently have a rental. I have been patient, but a month seems a bit much. I have had a few conversations with the service department, but haven’t pushed for anything more than getting back my car.

Mass. Lemon Law: Guide to New Car Lemon Law

Reasonable Repair Attempts: Must have given the dealer 3 attempts to correct the defect. "If your car is out of service during repair attempts for 15 or more business days, that also meets the requirement, even if there aren’t 3 separate repair attempts."

Final Repair attempt:
"If the substantial defect continues after the dealer or manufacturer has made a reasonable number of repair attempts, you must give the manufacturer one final repair opportunity, not to exceed 7 business days, to fix the defect. The 7-day period begins when the manufacturer knows or should know that the repair requirements have been met or exceeded.

Before 15 months from the date of delivery, you’ll need to send a letter notifying the manufacturer that you have made reasonable repair attempts. You can send the letter after the term of protection has ended.

It is recommended that you send your notice by mail, return receipt requested, regular mail and by email to the manufacturer’s regional office. Keep copies of all documents.

At the end of the 7 business days, if the manufacturer has your car, you may pick it up whether it has been fixed or not. If the defect hasn’t been repaired, you have a right to the cost of repairs, a refund, or a replacement car."

Notify the dealer in text, email, or writing he is in the final 7 business days to fix the defect under the Mass Lemon Law. I bet that battery shows up quickly.
Thank you for forwarding this. I didn’t realize the lemon law in Massachusetts included 1 repair greater than 15 days in the language. If their is no firm ETA for completion, I may pursue this option.

Maybe things have changed but they gave me a loaner vehicle, and yes, it did take over a month. I didn't mind as I had a loaner vehicle on their dime and it was a month less wear and tear on my car.

Why are you looking for a negative to fit your doom and gloom prophecy. Look, your glass is half full not half empty. I'm not trying to discount that it was a hassle if it left you stranded initially, but it seems that they are most likely doing a decent job at covering the bases.

In my case, I was 2500 miles from home and they offered to ship my car back to Arizona when done. It took them over a month to get a loaner traction battery into my car. They were going to repair mine and reinstall it back to my car but never did. In the meantime they said they changed their policy and left the loaner battery in the car as the permanent fix.

Do I know that the loaner battery is or isn't as good as the first, no. Other than they said that the loaner supposedly has a better battery chemistry, oh and notwithstanding the original battery died.

Now look at my son's case...he has a Chevy Bolt. Who knows when Chevy is going to be able to change his recalled Bolt battery out of his car? They are going to give him one with more capacity and fix the problem but in the meantime it could potentially catch on fire. But, once he gets a new one, it resets his battery to zero used miles and more capacity! A nice bonus!

I also own two Nissan Leafs. Both of them have had battery changes. The second batteries were supposed to be better and longer lasting, lol. Maybe a six month longer life based on how they are tracking... Certainly they are shorter life batteries because of the lack of thermal cooling decision Nissan made that proved to be a mistake,

Last edited:
Years ago, I had leased a performance BMW, only one of 2 vehicles I have ever leased. Anyway the engine had a major issue and it was in the shop 2, maybe 3 months. It was new. BMW sent people to look at it. I had a nice BMW loaner to drive. When I got my car back, the dealer, on their own, said they were requesting a refund of 3 months of my $1700 a month lease payment, which I promptly received. Also, they said they fixed the curb rash on my wheels while they had it. At the end of the lease, they refunded about 10000 miles of unused lease miles. Anyway, they tried to do everything they could to make things right. I hope Tesla takes care of you, and you don't need to escalate your actions. Good luck.

My 2020 long-range plus model S died this week. The vehicle was towed for service and I was informed today the high-voltage battery needs to be replaced. The car has 16,000 miles on it. While it will be covered by warranty, it sounds like it will be replaced with a remanufactured battery. I have some concerns that the replacement battery may come out of a vehicle with significantly more miles which may lead to range issues in the future. I never charge to greater than 85%, and have not utilized supercharging.

I was wondering if anyone else with a new(ish) Tesla has run into a similar issue and had advice moving forward? It will take 2-3 weeks to receive the replacement battery. Would Tesla ever extend the warranty or offer to buy the vehicle back using funds towards a new purchase?
Run as far as you can from Tesla. We 85KWH 2012-2015 have been dealing with this crap. I sold my car, best thing I ever did.

No they wont extend your warranty if anything they will nerf your battery so they wont have to replace it again.

Unless it fits under the lemon law in your state then Tesla has to buy back your car.

Evtzla hasn't posted in more than two weeks, so I hope that by now the issue is resolved. As anyone would expect, the new battery versions are not supposed to have critical failures but these might happen. Late 2013+ Model S 85 vehicles still have the 8 year, unlimited mile warranty on the battery so Tesla has you covered. It's to their benefit and public perception (Consumer Reports etc.) for the cars to be reliable. Certainly in Evtzla's case, he should have to pay zero for the repair and loaner.

Tesla might have some things to work on, like low-cost battery repair options for out of warranty vehicles, but overall I am happy with my experience with them. I'm also considering them for my next vehicle. The Supercharger network is the best, and the latest Teslas support even faster 250+ kW charging.

Last edited:
From 4Q of 2021 ,In Taiwan, almost everyday comes with new cases with high voltage dead.
Even now, there are over 100+ dead cars in service center.
Almost all the dead battery is D or E type.

Most of car owners waits for 2 months for the replacement.
Some of them even meets 2 or 3 times for battery dead.
And the
If the issues can not be fixed in near future, the MX, MS owners will try to do something for them.

• Informative
Reactions: _jmk