Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Long Range Plus Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’d think so, but almost zero Model S leaving the factory these days meet that criteria. I’d love to see a pic of a model S instrument cluster ACTUALLY showing 391 miles.
you won't because Tesla has capped the battery charging to 98%.....you will never see 100% and 391......391 is only for the long range plus I believe....I had only been able to charge to 320 miles with my 2020 MS LR (Jan) until I got the surprised secret update to 391....

Now at 90% charge ( which is really 88%) I get 383....do the math.....391/100 = x/98...equals 383 miles....and 383/98 = x/90....equals 351 miles......

So. I'll bet that a non-long range plus will get far less than that....the LR plus are rated at 391 but dont expect it......we have been capped at 98%....at least that is what my car is indicating when I charge

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
you won't because Tesla has capped the battery charging to 98%.....you will never see 100% and 391......391 is only for the long range plus I believe....I had only been able to charge to 320 miles with my 2020 MS LR (Jan) until I got the surprised secret update to 391....

Now at 90% charge ( which is really 88%) I get 383....do the math.....391/100 = x/98...equals 383 miles....and 383/98 = x/90....equals 351 miles......

So. I'll bet that a non-long range plus will get far less than that....the LR plus are rated at 391 but dont expect it......we have been capped at 98%....at least that is what my car is indicating when I charge
I have no idea what you’re talking about.

You’d think so, but almost zero Model S leaving the factory these days meet that criteria. I’d love to see a pic of a model S instrument cluster ACTUALLY showing 391 miles.
If that's the case, Tesla customers are stupider than I thought. Nobody should be accepting delivery of any Tesla car if it doesn't show the advertised EPA range at 100% charge. Tesla is patently lying about its range and the displayed range at 100% is proof. That display is based on a simple calculation: Energy remaining (Wh) ÷ EPA constant (Wh). The EPA constant is determined through Tesla's EPA testing and should not change, although one lawsuit alleges that Tesla changes this over time to hide battery degradation.

If you cannot hit advertised EPA range at 100% charge, even after multiple charges, there simply is not enough energy in the pack to achieve EPA range. That is a defect and should be addressed by Tesla. But Tesla won't address it and will give its customers some bullsheet excuse about charging habits, cell imbalance, blah blah... anything to make the customer go away.

I contacted Tesla service with the issue of only having 361 mi of range. They claim that is based on previous driving history. This is a bizarre concept because past driving is not necessarily representative of a planned trip where you range charge. My thought is the range should be based on a standard consumption of 256 Watts/mi. that way we can determine the extent of battery degradation. I have no idea how many mi of previous driving history is utilized in the computation of mi after a 100% charge.

I took delivery in Denver and drove to Las Vegas. There were sections of Interstate Highway that had an 80 mph speed limit. Consumption during that trip has no relationship to a planned route with a 65 mph speed limit.

• Disagree
Reactions: serendipitous
I contacted Tesla service with the issue of only having 361 mi of range. They claim that is based on previous driving history. This is a bizarre concept because past driving is not necessarily representative of a planned trip where you range charge. My thought is the range should be based on a standard consumption of 256 Watts/mi. that way we can determine the extent of battery degradation. I have no idea how many mi of previous driving history is utilized in the computation of mi after a 100% charge.

I took delivery in Denver and drove to Las Vegas. There were sections of Interstate Highway that had an 80 mph speed limit. Consumption during that trip has no relationship to a planned route with a 65 mph speed limit.

So much confusion in this thread.

Where are you seeing 361? On the battery indicator when set to Range? If so, then unless its extremely cold, or you haven't gotten the software update for the LR+, you have an issue. As posted a few times, that display just takes battery accessible kWh from the BMS, divided by your car model's EPA rated consumption, and shows the result. The only variable there is accessible kWh. (Recent Model S don't have an "Ideal/Rated" selector on this display.). Driving pattern has nothing to do with this display. As also observed, I've never heard of anyone actually getting their rated number. In a sense, no Teslas actually charge to the ideal fully charged state in real-world conditions (they also don't get delivered at 100% charge, anyway, so there's no practical way to see this before taking delivery). However, the difference is negligible (couple miles worth) and is akin to not being able to fill your fuel tank up with gas dripping out of the filler neck - there's a little space at the top that might not get filled. What really matters is actual degradation rate beyond delivery - is your gas tank really shrinking. In most cases, your gas tank shrinks a few percent over the first year and then slower beyond that.

If you're seeing 361 on the Energy graph, then it's based on the consumption observed in the last few (Instantaneous) or all of (Average) the data points over your last 5/15/30 miles of driving. That consumption figure gets divided by the accessible battery kWh to come up with the range on the right. That number is both meaningless from the perspective of your battery health, and the only figure that matters if you're worried about actual range, because it reflects the actual conditions you're driving in. Nobody can tell you what conditions you will be driving in, although the car's nav does a good job of using speed limit and elevation data to plot a consumption curve if you have a destination set.

• Disagree
Reactions: gnelson
... only for the long range plus I believe....I had only been able to charge to 320 miles with my 2020 MS LR (Jan) until I got the surprised secret update to 391....

Now at 90% charge ( which is really 88%) I get 383...

Your car actually shows 391 rated miles on the display near a 100% state of charge? It seems like yours should show closer to 425 miles of range near 100% (383 miles * 100) / 90 where the 100 and 90 are 100% and 90% respectively.

I did a 100 % charge last Friday morning. The charging display indicated I had 361 mi of range (expected mi) upon completion of the charge. I have never seen 391 mi of expected range. I rarely do a 100% charge. I only did so to see what the indication would be for a 100% charge.

So you "Disagreed" with my post but never actually answered the questions asked in my listing of a few facts. So what is it you disagree with? I specifically said that if you're seeing 361 in the battery indicator, when fully charged, on a 2020 LR+ Model S, with current software, then you have a problem as you suspect. If you're seeing it somewhere else, then it seems like you're just confused as to what things mean.

• Disagree
Reactions: gnelson
Your car actually shows 391 rated miles on the display near a 100% state of charge? It seems like yours should show closer to 425 miles of range near 100% (383 miles * 100) / 90 where the 100 and 90 are 100% and 90% respectively.
I get 385 at 90% charge.....this is over the last 5 charges with 2020.16.2.1.....Tesla shows "battery range to be 386.87