Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 LR AWD Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I have a May delivery Model Y I am looking at selling. We love the car but due to some unforeseen circumstance in our personal life we are going to have to sell it. The car has around 3300 miles on it (took one long trip in it). It is a Blue LR AWD, black interior, 19” wheels. I paid 53,990 + taxes and doc fees.

I’m listing at 53.5k to gauge interest since the car is pretty much brand new and you wouldn’t have to pay the 1200 in order fees.

Pictures attached. I’m located in Boulder, CO.

Attachments

• F8600A94-5A4D-488C-8FC1-EC14117869EE.jpeg
    F8600A94-5A4D-488C-8FC1-EC14117869EE.jpeg
    662.7 KB · Views: 112
  • D43CA8A1-DCC3-43A4-BE8C-C6BABA803784.jpeg
    D43CA8A1-DCC3-43A4-BE8C-C6BABA803784.jpeg
    921.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 23D6FC0C-34F7-43A7-9E84-C9A6CACC3F44.jpeg
    23D6FC0C-34F7-43A7-9E84-C9A6CACC3F44.jpeg
    623.9 KB · Views: 94
  • B598F5AD-EAEF-401B-A127-99897E12A3AD.jpeg
    B598F5AD-EAEF-401B-A127-99897E12A3AD.jpeg
    840.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 2AC2FD9C-9A7B-4D40-A2C8-D076A0A8C2BB.jpeg
    2AC2FD9C-9A7B-4D40-A2C8-D076A0A8C2BB.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 89
  • B0524050-4716-4100-A7AD-421441EECF4D.jpeg
    B0524050-4716-4100-A7AD-421441EECF4D.jpeg
    952.6 KB · Views: 81
I did not see this, but I just went to Tesla’s site and sure enough. Thanks for the tip. Price is negotiable. It looks like as configured it is 51k + destination charges so I would come down to the 51? I suppose it mostly comes down to potentially having to wait the 4 weeks the claim or getting it now.

I did not see this, but I just went to Tesla’s site and sure enough. Thanks for the tip. Price is negotiable. It looks like as configured it is 51k + destination charges so I would come down to the 51? I suppose it mostly comes down to potentially having to wait the 4 weeks the claim or getting it now.

$51K - minus the $4K Colorado tax rebate - minus the $2500 depreciation for mileage + $500 token premium for getting it now vs 4 weeks later, comes to about $45K.

Here in NJ, we can get the new for $49,990 + $1200 - $5K rebate = $46,200 (plus $1K for blue color if one wants that)

$44-$45K is what will do it for 3500+ miles.

I think it's funny how much we all "love" Tesla when they keep dropping the MSRP on their cars. Given their pricing mechanisms, this INSTANTLY devalues the cars we own. Not only are the competing with their sellers by offering used cars and tacking on FSD and warranty (btw, this adds almost 10k of value to the car. So if you're selling a car w/o FSD and with no warranty, it's hard for me to fathom how you can ask anything more than 9-10k LESS than what Tesla sells the same car for)

It's crazy .... I'm not understanding why the other MFGs do "incentives" and "offers" but don't mess with the MSRP.

Yet we all continue to love tesla ....

At this point I have a couple of offers between 48 and 50k. It is clear this thread isn’t going to be about actually selling the car anymore but what the value of it actually is.

My intention was not to profit/rip anyone off when posting the car, if it came across that way to anyone, I apologize. It mostly came down to, I’d paid cash for the car and had a living situation change where I no longer have a garage and didn’t feel like it was right to keep a 50K+ car parked on a street with limited access to home charging. I’d read/watched YouTube videos on Teslas essentially retaining all their value for a year or two and thought “hey maybe I’ll just try to get out for only a few grand lost and consider it a lesson learned.”

I was not expecting the car to have lost 15% of its value in this amount of time (according to some posters above), but hey that’s life. I’m not sure how to close this thread, but at this point Mods, please close the thread.

At this point I have a couple of offers between 48 and 50k. It is clear this thread isn’t going to be about actually selling the car anymore but what the value of it actually is.

My intention was not to profit/rip anyone off when posting the car, if it came across that way to anyone, I apologize. It mostly came down to, I’d paid cash for the car and had a living situation change where I no longer have a garage and didn’t feel like it was right to keep a 50K+ car parked on a street with limited access to home charging. I’d read/watched YouTube videos on Teslas essentially retaining all their value for a year or two and thought “hey maybe I’ll just try to get out for only a few grand lost and consider it a lesson learned.”

I was not expecting the car to have lost 15% of its value in this amount of time (according to some posters above), but hey that’s life. I’m not sure how to close this thread, but at this point Mods, please close the thread.

I think it's pretty unrealistic to think that because there's a "T" logo on the back that suddenly the normal economic laws of used cars somehow don't apply.

Drive the car off the lot, it depreciates instantly because ... wait for it .... it isn't new anymore!

And Elon kneecapped you yesterday by dropping the MSRP.

Edit to add: Also, I think it's sorta ridiculous that you're upset the thread became a debate on value. You post an asking price on a USED car very close to the new price - which just was dropped by Tesla, btw. I've seen nothing you've posted that presents ANY reason that the value of your car should be as high as a brand new one. For example ... you had it ceramic coated by elves in a magic forest right after delivery. Or the center screen allows you to transfer money from Tesla to your bank account. Or you had early-adopter Space-X thrusters installed aftermarket .... I mean I'd pay extra for any of those things (except the ceramic coat).

But otherwise, what in your mind makes this used car worth as much a new? if you want to dispute the value people are throwing out at you, there's your angle.

• Funny
Reactions: KCapital

tesla Model 3 & Y do hold the value better relative to ICE cars as much of your initial depreciation gets support from the colorado's $4000 tax credit, or even better in states like NJ where rebate is $5K.

If the offers of 48K-50K are real, take them. Soon market will be flooded with Model Ys in matter of weeks, and you won't get that price, plus pocket the $4K tax credit as well.

Reactions: ra88it and Rmf1981
I think it's pretty unrealistic to think that because there's a "T" logo on the back that suddenly the normal economic laws of used cars somehow don't apply.

Drive the car off the lot, it depreciates instantly because ... wait for it .... it isn't new anymore!

And Elon kneecapped you yesterday by dropping the MSRP.

Edit to add: Also, I think it's sorta ridiculous that you're upset the thread became a debate on value. You post an asking price on a USED car very close to the new price - which just was dropped by Tesla, btw. I've seen nothing you've posted that presents ANY reason that the value of your car should be as high as a brand new one. For example ... you had it ceramic coated by elves in a magic forest right after delivery. Or the center screen allows you to transfer money from Tesla to your bank account. Or you had early-adopter Space-X thrusters installed aftermarket .... I mean I'd pay extra for any of those things (except the ceramic coat).

But otherwise, what in your mind makes this used car worth as much a new? if you want to dispute the value people are throwing out at you, there's your angle.

Definitely not upset. Again, sorry if it came across that way. I am happily going to take an offer in the high 40s from Vroom 48,500 (given to me late last night after the price change). I think that is totally reasonable. Even 44 is reasonable after reading this thread. Just saying 44k seemed like an extreme about of depreciation.

Reactions: ra88it
Definitely not upset. Again, sorry if it came across that way. I am happily going to take an offer in the high 40s from Vroom 48,500 (given to me late last night after the price change). I think that is totally reasonable. Even 44 is reasonable after reading this thread. Just saying 44k seemed like an extreme about of depreciation.

That is a very good offer, they may not have adjusted their pricing engine yet for the price drop. Lock it, as you get 48.5K + 4K tax credit = 52.5K for a car that is brand new 51K+1.2K = 52.3K. My understanding is that colorado sales tax on car is maximum $525, so you are in pretty good shape with VROOM offer despite putting 3500 miles on the Model Y.

It is exterme - because it's not all depreciation!

Someone who is smart knows you got a $4k tax credit they can no longer take.
And Tesla cut the price last night.

So no, it's not all depreciation - but there are multiple factors devaluing your "new' car.

No Christmas card for Elon this year......