Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 LR+ map loading sluggish performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a previous 2017 75D owner with MCU1 and AP2.0 for 3 years so was pretty familiar with the performance of the touchscreen. We picked up a 2020 LR+ (MCU2, AP FSD) and of course the overall speed is faster and settings is great, but I do notice that when pinch/zooming and loading maps (satellite and non-satellite views), it’s not as snappy as my friend’s Model 3 and his 2018 Model S 100D on MCU2/AP2.5.

I’ve tested both LTE and Wi-Fi and the performance is roughly the same. I also did a back to back comparison and the Model S and Model 3 (both on MCU2) is faster than our brand new 2020 LR+ X (picked up June ‘20).

Any ideas on why this is the case or has anyone else run into this issue?

Completely new to Tesla’s but just got a 2020 MX LR+ in early June... not having anything to compare to other than iPads, the map seemed sluggish to me as well at first but has seemed to get much quicker and smoother over time, maybe maps need to cache or something? I think they are reasonable now - or maybe I’m just used to them now!

Our late 2020 3 is faster on pinch to zoom map operations in general than our 2018 Model X with MCU 2. I believe the Model 3 uses a faster processor and perhaps map display than they have in MCU2 in the X. Also there are less pixels to update on the Model 3 with it's smaller map area. However, not sure way a 2018 S would be faster than a 2020 Model X unless there is a higher resolution display on the 2020.

Our late 2020 3 is faster on pinch to zoom map operations in general than our 2018 Model X with MCU 2. I believe the Model 3 uses a faster processor and perhaps map display than they have in MCU2 in the X. Also there are less pixels to update on the Model 3 with it's smaller map area. However, not sure way a 2018 S would be faster than a 2020 Model X unless there is a higher resolution display on the 2020.

I just tested with my cousin’s 2018 Model S 100D MCU2 and it’s also faster than our 2020 LR+ X, so not sure? I think your theory with the Model 3 could be true — not sure if it uses a faster processor since they’re both using the Intel Atom for the new MCU2. But there are less pixels to push to the screen, but I would have imagined that wouldn’t be that noticeable. I can’t tell if it’s CPU/memory or if it’s connectivity based sluggishness.

I just tested with my cousin’s 2018 Model S 100D MCU2 and it’s also faster than our 2020 LR+ X, so not sure? I think your theory with the Model 3 could be true — not sure if it uses a faster processor since they’re both using the Intel Atom for the new MCU2. But there are less pixels to push to the screen, but I would have imagined that wouldn’t be that noticeable. I can’t tell if it’s CPU/memory or if it’s connectivity based sluggishness.

Pixels matter in terms of how much work the GPU has to do redraw the screen. Compare a system with a 2K versus 4 K display and you can often see the redraw difference, and sometimes hear (cooling fans speed up) the extra work the system is doing. Also, there may be other features your new X has that require processing cycles.

I’m a previous 2017 75D owner with MCU1 and AP2.0 for 3 years so was pretty familiar with the performance of the touchscreen. We picked up a 2020 LR+ (MCU2, AP FSD) and of course the overall speed is faster and settings is great, but I do notice that when pinch/zooming and loading maps (satellite and non-satellite views), it’s not as snappy as my friend’s Model 3 and his 2018 Model S 100D on MCU2/AP2.5.

I’ve tested both LTE and Wi-Fi and the performance is roughly the same. I also did a back to back comparison and the Model S and Model 3 (both on MCU2) is faster than our brand new 2020 LR+ X (picked up June ‘20).

Any ideas on why this is the case or has anyone else run into this issue?

Go to the SC and compare your car to a Model X on the lot. If the one on the lot is faster, show the service center and have them fix it.

Reactions: jboy210
Any reason a Model S should differ from a Model X both MCU2?
No.
According to my information, All models since 2018 (MCU2) use the same Atom E3800 series CPU and Intel Apollo Lake system-on-chip. The display on the S/X is larger but I don't have information on the screen-resolution of the 3/Y (S/X = 1200 x 1920). If the resolution of the S/X 17" screen is higher, then the integrated GPU has to work harder than in the 3/Y. If it's the same, there should be no difference.

But... what could be the case is that an S and especially the X has more controllers and devices interacting with the MCU, consuming CPU time. As the 3/Y does not have air-suspension, FWD doors etc. etc. etc. it has less devices to talk to (polling their status etc.)

I find the MCU on my MX LR nice and snappy (but I come from a 2014 MS which became mega slow after all those firmware updates...)