Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 M3 Long Range - 18k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I currently drive a 2019 BMW 520d and am looking into trading it in. The local bmw dealership have offered me a 5 series plugin hybrid, which I said no to and now they have come back with a 2020 Model 3, long range AWD with 18k miles on it. It is within my budget and I am seriously considering the car.

This will be my first EV if I decide to go for it. The specsheet that they have sent me is impressive. Couple of questions that I had were, considering the car is 3 years old, with the battery degradation, what is the realistic range we are looking at?

The 2021 model3 saw a facelift and I believe the assembly was in China and from what I have read on this forum the interior was of better quality compared to the older models, is it a massive difference in terms of the quality or it should not be a reason to not go for the 2020 model?

Lastly, will I be missing out on any upgrades or anything else that I might have gotten if buying the car from TESLA dealership rather than from this dealership that I am dealing with? They have said that they will service the vehicle before handing it over to me. I dont know what that entails.

Thanks in advance.

AD

I recently bought a used 2021 Model 3 LR with 19,000 miles from Tesla website.

If you buy from Tesla you get extra year warranty included and Enhanced Auto Pilot.

However, you don't get to see the car before putting deposit on it. They then take 3+ weeks to 'prepare the car' with minimal to zero updates. It's a frustrating process, but in the end I was happy with the car.

I think the 2021 includes better build quality, heat pump making car more efficient, double glazed front windows for quieter drive as well as upgraded interior with wireless phone charger. If you can stretch to 2021 model that's what I would go for.

Hello all,

I currently drive a 2019 BMW 520d and am looking into trading it in. The local bmw dealership have offered me a 5 series plugin hybrid, which I said no to and now they have come back with a 2020 Model 3, long range AWD with 18k miles on it. It is within my budget and I am seriously considering the car.

This will be my first EV if I decide to go for it. The specsheet that they have sent me is impressive. Couple of questions that I had were, considering the car is 3 years old, with the battery degradation, what is the realistic range we are looking at?

The 2021 model3 saw a facelift and I believe the assembly was in China and from what I have read on this forum the interior was of better quality compared to the older models, is it a massive difference in terms of the quality or it should not be a reason to not go for the 2020 model?

Lastly, will I be missing out on any upgrades or anything else that I might have gotten if buying the car from TESLA dealership rather than from this dealership that I am dealing with? They have said that they will service the vehicle before handing it over to me. I dont know what that entails.

Thanks in advance.

AD
I have a ‘20 M3LR just coming up on 50k miles. My range is around 280-290 miles. That’s real miles vs. the rated range. To my knowledge you would not miss out on anything getting it from the BMW dealer. It looks like you’d still be under warranty for a year or so as well. If you are comfortable with the financial side of the deal, go for it! If you are interested, I’d be glad to speak with you about my 3 years of ownership. Spoiler alert: I totally dig my car!
😎

I have a 2020 M3LR with 19,300 miles on it. I ordered it with 19 inch wheels instead of the basic 18 inch one. I just like the look more, but I was told that I would lose a bit of range because of the larger wheels. It was fully charged when I first drove it away from the Tesla lot. The range indicated was 310 miles (at that time the official range with 18 niche wheels was 323 miles). Now, after 19,300 miles my range when fully charged is 302 miles. By the way, I've never enjoyed a car as much as my M3.

I have a 2018 LR RWD with 52K on the clock. It was rated at 310 miles new, and I still routinely get 300 or more miles. Keep in mind that it varies with weather and speed. Cold weather and driving with a heavy foot both eat range. This happens with an ICE car too but you don't notice it as much because you don't think about it as much. I can tell you that I will never go back to an ICE car!

Most of the used Teslas from Tesla include the Acceleration Boost, that's worth $2k.

I found a good deal on a 2020 M3 LR, 11,600 miles with FSD, from a Toyota dealership. The downside was the buying experience was the usual hours long affair of pain. When the salesman sat in the car with me was his first time in a Tesla.

At 100% charge the car says 288 miles. See below about a recent trip.

I'm close to 20k miles now since February. It's been amazing on multiple fronts and I cannot imagine ever going back to ICE.

Just did a 214 mile trip with 100% charge. Cruised at gentlemanly speeds (60-70) and got home with 33%. And the car sat 3 days in an underground garage. So based on these numbers I would have hit 321 miles at zero.

Thank you all for the replies. Quick update, I did put a deposit down for the above mentioned M3, finance and everything was agreed upon and at the last minute I was informed that the car had already been booked by one of the backroom managers at the dealership for his brother and the inventory was not updated in the system etc etc.

Long story short, I took it up with the senior management of how I felt and to make it up to me, they offered me a 2020 Model S standard range at the same finance agreement we had agreed for the M3. The original asking price for the S was 5k higher than the M3. The S has 38k Miles on it.

I said yes to the deal and take delivery of the car this coming Saturday.

I haven't researched the S as much as I did the M3 and just hope I don't regret the decision making. It was a very spur of the moment call.

I did test drive the S and loved it, the spec sheet given to me mentioned the range to be around 280 miles, not much off from the m3 long range which I was getting earlier.

Fingers crossed for the model S adventures!

Reactions: ODWms
Most of the used Teslas from Tesla include the Acceleration Boost, that's worth $2k.

I found a good deal on a 2020 M3 LR, 11,600 miles with FSD, from a Toyota dealership. The downside was the buying experience was the usual hours long affair of pain. When the salesman sat in the car with me was his first time in a Tesla.

At 100% charge the car says 288 miles. See below about a recent trip.

I'm close to 20k miles now since February. It's been amazing on multiple fronts and I cannot imagine ever going back to ICE.

Just did a 214 mile trip with 100% charge. Cruised at gentlemanly speeds (60-70) and got home with 33%. And the car sat 3 days in an underground garage. So based on these numbers I would have hit 321 miles at zero.
How much did you pay for this car? I may be in the market for a used M3LR relatively soon.

It was listed for ~$39k in Jan23. I worked a deal on the phone and a day before I get there they bump the price to $42k or so. They agreed to the original price and when I got there it was somehow scratched on the hood and the screen was cracked. The manager was not happy, the pics show that damage was recent, as in happened in the show room.

I was bummed but drove 6 hours to get there. I got them down to $38.5k.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hiline
It was listed for ~$39k in Jan23. I worked a deal on the phone and a day before I get there they bump the price to $42k or so. They agreed to the original price and when I got there it was somehow scratched on the hood and the screen was cracked. The manager was not happy, the pics show that damage was recent, as in happened in the show room.

I was bummed but drove 6 hours to get there. I got them down to $38.5k.

That’s a fantastic deal! Sounds like your hassle was worth it after all ;)